Quad, G-Major Relay Question?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TemporarilyStairs

Reaction score
Hey folks, greetings from... wherever the hell we are. Hot Springs, Arkansas, apparently. My trusty Quad's footswitch (well, the cable) finally bit the big one, and I'm currently out of commission until I can get something else rockin' for switching and whatnot. (Well, not out of commission, I get to use the old, barely-functional Line6 combo we've got laying around, weee.)

Anyway, I've got a G-Major, and an FCB1010, so I've got some relay switching abilities available here, but I've never even messed with this stuff at all. I'm going to want to go to something that has a few more options, but just for the sake of being able to perform, I think I just want to rig up the G-Major to flip between two channels of my Quad.

Doable? I'm assuming yes, but just wanted to make positive? Anybody doing anything like this, and have any tips? I'm probably going to be sitting around tomorrow either in a hotel or at the venue, desperately trying to get it working prior to a show, so the more info I can gather before hand, the better :) Thanks in advance.

Yes, it's very doable... Why don't you use the two switch relays in the FCB to switch between Ryth-1 and Lead-1 and use the two relays in the G-Major to switch between Ryth-2 and Lead-2? The FCB's relays are fairly simple to set up.

daveyboogie said:
Yes, it's very doable... Why don't you use the two switch relays in the FCB to switch between Ryth-1 and Lead-1 and use the two relays in the G-Major to switch between Ryth-2 and Lead-2? The FCB's relays are fairly simple to set up.

I thought about doing this, but I figure I can easily get by with just Rhy 1 and one of the Lds, and this is only for two days, I think I'm going to pick up an Amp Gizmo or something along those lines after that, plus I'm lazy and hate programming the FCB ;) It's usually pretty easy, but I've had a nightmare with it for no apparent reason... I think mine might have an old, craptastic firmware or something. I can't even get buttons 1 or 2 to do anything properly... should probably upgrade to the UNO when I get a chance. Damned thing just didn't seem to do anything quite right.

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated. So I'm assuming, if I'm reading the manual correctly, just run a stereo TRS to dual mono TRS from the relay-out of the G-Major to the two relay jacks I need, and then work on setting up the presets right? Bear with me, I'm just very scared that I have to do this on the fly, and I shudder at the thought of using that combo again, with the stock presets no less! (it freezes up regularly, so it never saves presets... yuck.)

get a RJ-16, midi to TRS cable for the quad and lets you control everything on the quad. lets you trigger outboard effects as well...

http://www.rjmmusic.com/rg16.php

It is possible to use the 2 relays in the FCB (or G-major) and convert them into 4 discreet switching signals for the Quad. I made up a little box with some switching transistors and some relays wired up so:

R1 R2
Off Off =Ryth-1
Off On =Lead-1
On Off =Ryth-2
On On =Lead-2

It's a cheap alternative so I can get all 4 Quad channels switching from an FCB or a G-Major without the tap-dancing and works really well!

daveyboogie said:
It is possible to use the 2 relays in the FCB (or G-major) and convert them into 4 discreet switching signals for the Quad. I made up a little box with some switching transistors and some relays wired up so:

R1 R2
Off Off =Ryth-1
Off On =Lead-1
On Off =Ryth-2
On On =Lead-2

It's a cheap alternative so I can get all 4 Quad channels switching from an FCB or a G-Major without the tap-dancing and works really well!

Love to see a schematic if you care to share your idea?

ak47 said:
daveyboogie said:

R1 R2
Off Off =Ryth-1
Off On =Lead-1
On Off =Ryth-2
On On =Lead-2

Love to see a schematic if you care to share your idea?

+1

Its not pretty. But it works.

You'll need 5 DTDP relays (the smaller the better), about 80mmX50mm of varoboard, a couple of 1/4" sockets and a few 1/4" jacks and some bits of wire. And preferably a nice little box to put it all in. And you also need to find 9 to 12Vdc from somewhere.

I'm sure someone cleverer than me can work it out using less relays, but I wanted 4 isolated volt-free contacts into my Quad and this was the only way I could figure it out.

This pic didn't upload very well. I'll email it to anyone interested.

This is what it might look like...

Let me know if you need any more info...

cool idea! would be nice, if you could sent my the pictures via mail.
joeweb[at]nexgo.de

Some of you guys may be interested:---
I've recently seen quite a few topics about Mesa channel switching problems so thought I would resurrect this thread.

Following on mainly from this topic: I've developed my low cost Quad switcher idea into a new road-worthy unit. It's still using the idea that two switching relays in a G-major (or footswitch) can be made to control the four channels on a Quad or any other preamp or head that uses discreet channel switching:

Relay
A -- B -- Channel
off off = Rhyth 1
on off = Lead 1
off on = Ryth 2
on on = Lead 2

...if you see what I mean. Anyway, the idea worked so well that I designed a PCB and had some made (at great expense) and then made a working, packaged unit.

It should work with anything that has two relay switch outputs like g-major, fcb1010 and I'm guessing there are loads of other pedal boards that have programmable relays or you could even just use two latching foot-switches. This new design also has a loop-through for the relays that are isolated so you can use even more switching options. All the channel switches are isolated, volt-free switch contacts so I can get around those mysterious ground-loop problems that some Mesas seem to have.

Anyway, I have a few PCBs left so if anyone is interested I will build more units to order (be a shame to waste them!) and if there's a good take-up I might even think about getting more PCBs made and do a full production run.

Drop me a line if anyone is interested and I'll post more information about the unit here as well.

I have a question, the manual of g major says that its relays can control 4 channels, so is it possible to control rhythm 1 and 2, and lead 1 and 2 only with g major? thx ;)

musicman700 said:
I have a question, the manual of g major says that its relays can control 4 channels, so is it possible to control rhythm 1 and 2, and lead 1 and 2 only with g major? thx ;)
not without the switching box from above.

daveyboogie said:
Some of you guys may be interested:---
I've recently seen quite a few topics about Mesa channel switching problems so thought I would resurrect this thread.

Following on mainly from this topic: I've developed my low cost Quad switcher idea into a new road-worthy unit. It's still using the idea that two switching relays in a G-major (or footswitch) can be made to control the four channels on a Quad or any other preamp or head that uses discreet channel switching:

Relay
A -- B -- Channel
off off = Rhyth 1
on off = Lead 1
off on = Ryth 2
on on = Lead 2

...if you see what I mean. Anyway, the idea worked so well that I designed a PCB and had some made (at great expense) and then made a working, packaged unit.

It should work with anything that has two relay switch outputs like g-major, fcb1010 and I'm guessing there are loads of other pedal boards that have programmable relays or you could even just use two latching foot-switches. This new design also has a loop-through for the relays that are isolated so you can use even more switching options. All the channel switches are isolated, volt-free switch contacts so I can get around those mysterious ground-loop problems that some Mesas seem to have.

Anyway, I have a few PCBs left so if anyone is interested I will build more units to order (be a shame to waste them!) and if there's a good take-up I might even think about getting more PCBs made and do a full production run.

Drop me a line if anyone is interested and I'll post more information about the unit here as well.
Great Idea how i get one of this units or built one?

I've still got a few PCBs left if you want me to build one for you.... I've run out of boxes so you'll need to find some way of housing the unit. IM me if you want more info on it.

daveyboogie said:

I've still got a few PCBs left if you want me to build one for you.... I've run out of boxes so you'll need to find some way of housing the unit. IM me if you want more info on it.
thanks for your help. but late last week just order a Mini amp Gizmo with an special cable for the quad.

Back