Quad and Axess CFX4

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ayin 0

Reaction score
I'm trying to control the Quad with the CFX4, so I'm assigning ctl 1 to ch1 rhythm, ctl 2 to ch1 lead, etc...
But when I activate ctl 1, it selects ch2 rhythm, ctl 3 selects ch1 lead and ch2 rhythm.
What am I doing wrong here? Cables are connected correctly.

thanks,

Jan

Not familiar with the Quad but I'm guessing your sending the wrong CC or program control messages to the wrong CFX4 outputs.

How are you hooking this up? Sounds like you need Mario to make a custom cable since the Quad uses a XLR to connect - unless you have one that's different from what the manual states.

I'm sending program changes via the ctl outputs with patch cables.

thanks,

Jan

It allows midi to be converted to relay switching.
Are you using it stand alone or controlling the Axess with a midi controller ?
Can you even use it stand alone ?
If so try that first, you might have some Midi Controller params off.

You need to use the CFX with a midi controller to get to its presets. I've assigned ctl1 to preset 1, ctl2 to preset 2 etc...

Jan

I see, The rockman you could also use stand alone is why I asked.

looking at the manual , My first thought is some of the controll parameters are off for the latching / unlatching.

http://www.axess-electronics.com/sc/axess/usrman/cfx4_v1r4.pdf

I checked : program change and latched selected for all ctls.

thanks,

Jan

What happens when you hit 4 , does it turn on RTM 1 ?
the only way both lead channels can be on at once is because one did not unlatch or they both latched, either way something is wrong in the latching/momentary circuit, It could be the midi pedal.

EdgeOfDarkness said:
the only way both lead channels can be on at once is because one did not unlatch or they both latched, either way something is wrong in the latching/momentary circuit, It could be the midi pedal.

Perhaps a stuck relay?

It happened to me. When I bought my Nobels MS-8 I had to replace all the (cheap chinese) reed switches because some of them were stuck close.

Not again :roll: I had'm replaced after connecting the unit to a Marshall amp. I'm not sure I'm willing to pay for another four relays and then hope they won't die on me again.

Jan

BE VERY CAREFUL....Unless Mario changed things, the Axess gear isn't compatible with the Studio or Quad preamps and ends up with blown relays.

I mailed him a week ago to check if it was safe, but didn't get a reply, so I tried anyway.
I think relays 3 and 4 are broken.

Jan

I do not see any reason it shouldn't work with the quad unless the unit components and relays are garbage, In which case I wouldn't want one to control any of my amps.

EdgeOfDarkness said:
I do not see any reason it shouldn't work with the quad unless the unit components and relays are garbage, In which case I wouldn't want one to control any of my amps.

No, I think I have heard this problem before. If I remember it well, there are two types of switching circuit.

One type of switching has one of the two contacts connected to ground, and works shorting the "hot" contact to ground (the other contact). The other type has always two contacts, and works by shorting these two contacts, but none of the contacts is grounded.

Equipment with these different types of switching are uncompatible between them, afaik.

Mesa, I think, uses the grounded kind of switching circuit. I remember that the guy who built my poweramp told me that if I ever wanted to use TriAxis switches to change voicings on the poweramp he would have needed to implement a mod on the poweramp, because as is it is not compatible with the TA switching circuit.

I hope I put it down in an understandable way, my poor english and my equally poor knowledge of this particular issue doesn't help me much :|

4nkam said:
BE VERY CAREFUL....Unless Mario changed things, the Axess gear isn't compatible with the Studio or Quad preamps and ends up with blown relays.

Back when I got my Quad and was looking at MIDI solutions, I asked Mario if the CFX4 would work with the Quad, and he said, "unfortunately the quad burns out the cfx4 relays so the cfx4 won't cut it". He pointed me in the direction of the Rockman Octopus and the GCX Switcher. Due to lack of availability of the Rockman in Australia, I tried the GCX and it worked perfectly.

There's also the Amp Gizmo unit out there which I've not tried, but it has me curious. I wouldn't mind something else switcing my Quad's functions and keeping the GCX for effects 'n' such.

Mind you, I asked Mario this back in June 2005... I don't know if he's re-designed the unit at all since then.

Ok, that's out with the CFX then. It does seem strange to me to use relays which can't handle Marshall or Mesa models.

Would the relays on a TC G Force be safe to use?

thanks,

Jan

straitouttahell said:
EdgeOfDarkness said:

No, I think I have heard this problem before. If I remember it well, there are two types of switching circuit.

One type of switching has one of the two contacts connected to ground, and works shorting the "hot" contact to ground (the other contact). The other type has always two contacts, and works by shorting these two contacts, but none of the contacts is grounded.

Equipment with these different types of switching are uncompatible between them, afaik.

Mesa, I think, uses the grounded kind of switching circuit. I remember that the guy who built my poweramp told me that if I ever wanted to use TriAxis switches to change voicings on the poweramp he would have needed to implement a mod on the poweramp, because as is it is not compatible with the TA switching circuit.

I hope I put it down in an understandable way, my poor english and my equally poor knowledge of this particular issue doesn't help me much :|

I see. Could'nt the relays be re-wired to operate the quad ?
Seems like you could just change the contact points.

Latest posts

Back