Put EL34's in my Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ursinus

Reaction score
I did not think it would make a big difference in the Channel 3,4 sound, but WOW! It did. This is the sound I've wanted for a while and almost had with the 6l6's. The cleans did suffer, but not as much as I thought they would. They are still gorgeous, but I get power tube clip a little earlier. I solved that by setting channel 1 to 100watts with diodes and channel 2 to 100watts with tubes. Channels 3,4 are set to 50watts with Tubes. I am a very happy man right now...

I got some EL34's and put them in my Roadster.... I pretty much knew what they'd do to channels 3 & 4 (I just came from a Road King) and I knew I'd like it, but to me they made channel 1 in the Tweed mode a bit "steril" sounding, without that nice round low end and it didn't feel as "saggy" as with the 6L6's. I played with the EL34's for a few minutes and put the 6L6's back in..... For me, the trade off wasn't worth it for me to loose the cleans I've been looking so hard to find the last few years.

This is where the GAS kicks in and makes me want a Road King II!!! I could have 6L6's on ch 1, EL34's on ch 2, EL's and 6L's on ch 3 and EL's on ch 4. Thats the way I had my RK (series one) set up.... But I'm loving the Roadster and don't really forsee me trading or selling anytime soon.

If I'm recording, I'll probably just swap tubes when I need the EL34 sound but for live, and for now, the 6L6's are working good for me.

Different strokes fer different folks :wink:

dennq45 said:
I am a HUGE fan of EL-34's. What brand did you use??

I used Mesa's. I work in electrinics and am familiar with the rigorous testing that Mesa does. I'm happy with their tubes over the years, only used groove tubes in 91' didn't like them, so I went back to Mesa's probably won't try any others unless someone gives them to me.

Stop it you guys, I feel the urge to put a set of EL-34s in my Roadster now! :lol:

Ciao ...

Storm said:
Stop it you guys, I feel the urge to put a set of EL-34s in my Roadster now! :lol:

Ciao ...

It's fun, if for nothing else to hear the difference. Some like, some LOVE it, some are OK with it, and some hate it. I didn't keep them in for the simple fact it took away from what I liked on the clean channel. I'm going to play with them a little more though before I rule them out. I'll always hang on to them as back up tubes and recording tubes.

Maybe instead of EL34's you could try KT77's as a compromise? Check out Eurotubes.com for a description. I have not tried them so i am going off of other people's personal opinions. I have not used 6L6's or EL34's for like 8 months since i went to my 20/20 based rig so i am partial to my EL84's :)

I think I may as well get a set of EL-34's. I can always swap back if it isn't to my liking. If anything, like Tele_jas said, they are there for backup purposes.

Ciao ...

By now I have tried every conceivable tube combination with my Roadster:

Power tubes:
E34L
EL34
6V6 in EL34 setting
regular 6L6
6L6 specially biased for EL34 setting

Preamp tubes:
12AX7 in all positions
12AT7 in V2 and/or V3
832 in V2 or V3 position

Rectifier tubes:
5U4GB
GZ34

My conclusions? My current setup speaks for itself.
For power tubes I am now running 6V6s in the two "outside" positions and 6L6 (biased for EL34 setting) in the two "inside" positions, in EL34 bias setting. This allows me to use my 50W/100W switch to switch off the 6L6s and just run the 6V6s at will (since the 100W setting runs all 4 and the 50W setting runs just the outside power tubes.

For preamp tubes I am running 12AX7s in all but positions V2 and V3 which have 12AT7s in them for lower smoother gain.

For Rectifier tubes I have decided on the GZ34 as it is not quite as saggy - if I am using 6L's and 6V's I find the 5U4s too saggy.

Alternatively I swap out the 6L6s to EL34s, in which case the 5U4 could make more sense.

This setup sounds killer guys!!! :D :D

All of these comments just reinforces to me that I made the right decision in spending the xtra $$ and ordered the RK II instead of the Roadster -- no compromises..

If I want EL34 sound.....I have it....and so on. :)

For power tubes I am now running 6V6s in the two "outside" positions and 6L6 (biased for EL34 setting) in the two "inside" positions, in EL34 bias setting.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like an interesting setup I definitely might try sometime.

Latest posts

Back