Pup choice for Mark IV!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm really loving the Mark IV...such an amazing amp, and it has really been inspiring me to take my music in completely new directions. Love it!

I do have a question though.....

What kind of pups are you running with yours?

So far, I seem to get the impression that though it is a very high gain amp, it likes to be paired with high gain pickups as well. My PRS Singlecut, though it still sounds great, seems to be missing something, and I'm thinking a higher gain pup in the bridge would help it. My other two guitars both have high gain pups, and they just seem to drive the Mark IV into a meaner sound overall.

Artists such as Chevelle, Petrucci, Lamb of God, all run high gain pups with their IVs aswell....I see a trend :D

Just curious on what you guys have to say on this.

Thanks alot!

High output pickups were designed to be used with low gain amplifier. Though I know a lot of people like to use high output PU with a high gain amp, I personally think those PUs take away the clarity. When I was looking for a PU for my RG, I was contemplating either Breed or Tone Zone. Knowing that I use Mark IV, DiMarzio recommended AirZone instead, which is lower in output than those two.

Mind you, a healthy output is still needed, but not in excessive amount.

Btw, doesn't Morton use SD 59? That's not a high output PU.

~trem

I agree with Trem. When running really high gain pickups with a high gain amp like the Mark IV you lose some of the dynamics that you'd have with a lower output pickup.

Here's a suggestion: revamp your settings for your PRS.

I did this recently because I was using my strat with my Mark IV and switched to my Parker Fly since it is my #1. The RHY1 and 2 were blah and the lead was ok but I didn't have time to mess with it. Later I came back with the parker and completely changed my settings and it is nearly perfect for the Parker tonewise. On the same note, I am almost positive if I plug in the Strat it will be way tooo trebly and harsh, lack gain, etc. This is the reason I am going to start using the Triaxis if I have to switch between guitars.

I prefer dimarzio pickups BTW.

Greg

I put Breeds in my strat and they blow away the lower output pickups I had in there before. And the bottom on them works well with the mid strong MKIV. They also tap unreal and sound better than the single coil in the neck position. The Breed when cranked through my MKIV sound exactly like Steve Vai's "For the Love of God"

Actually the Breeds are more of a mid output fatter PAF design. Not as thin as a PAF Pro. Spilt they sound like a hot strat and do the Andy Timmons type stuff nicely as well. I'm blown away by them. I won't be changing the bridge pup but I would also like to try an Air Norton in the neck. I played Duncan's for years and just recently tried Dimarzios. I'm blown away buy the feel they give my guitar.

disassembled said:
II did this recently because I was using my strat with my Mark IV and switched to my Parker Fly since it is my #1. The RHY1 and 2 were blah and the lead was ok but I didn't have time to mess with it. Later I came back with the parker and completely changed my settings and it is nearly perfect for the Parker tonewise. On the same note, I am almost positive if I plug in the Strat it will be way tooo trebly and harsh, lack gain, etc. This is the reason I am going to start using the Triaxis if I have to switch between guitars.

+1

Also, "tone is in the ear of the beholder." As evidenced above, some people prefer the tone of a lower gian pickup.

Personally, I prefer the higher gain ones. I have the Mark IV set for my PRS with the HFS pickups, which I believe are hot pickups ("Hot Fat Screaming" = HFS). It just doesn't sound as good with my other axes. I haven't yet run my ESP with an EMG-81 to see if it sounds as good as the HFS.

ibanez4life, I have also had this dilema and had a whole thread about it :p
I used to run EMG 81 through the mark iv... Really ruined the Mark IV's sound. At the moment i use my custom with dimarzio paf pro in neck and EVH Custom in back, Jackson King V with SD George Lynch S.Demon and Full shred in front and an LTD EX with standard pickups. I think they are majority medium output to high*ish* and are definitely all the Mark IV needs. The emg did cause loss in clarity and dynamics, I think a medium output passive suits this amp best! Then again, depends on if you play rhythm and want that raw sound or if you want a darker smooth sound. It all depends on you XD

The pickups in my guitar are both Seymour Duncans. I have an SH-8 Invader in the bridge, and an SH-2 Jazz in the neck.

I split my guitar signal to my Mesa/Boogie MarkIV, and my Engl Fireball.

I use a D-sonic in the bridge on my Mark IV. I can get a decent high gain sound out of the second channel, IMO. Plenty of gain.

Just to contradict my own opinion, Tom Anderson claims that Mesa uses Anderson guitars with H3 pickups to test their amps. H3 is one of the loudest PU in the Anderson line. Whatever works for you I guess. I still prefer the med output.

I'm kind of wondering what pickups to go with too. I like the Dragon II's in my Custom 22 but thought a little more output would be good. I just installed a set of WB custom pickups, UV20's, and although they are alright, I think it's not what I'm after. I should have my Mark IV any day now and want a set of pickups that will be good with the Mark and the RK. By the way the Custom is my only guitar at the moment so I want to be extremely happy with what I end up with.

I use to run a Les Paul Custom through a Mark IV with a Duncan Distortion and loved the sound! I guess I'm looking for a similar sound with the PRS.

Just at a loss right now and can't spend a fortune on pickups. :roll:

Except for my new Strat, I run stock pickups in all my axes. I love the combination of true vintage pups (from the '70's) through the articulate voicing of the Mk IV...very musical to my ears and to my style of writing/playing, which has an 80's urgency to it.

In the Strat, I replaced the stock Duncans for a set of Tonerider City Limits single coils (great pups for $80!). These are a little hotter than stock, but more importantly, the pole heights give more emphasis to the high E & B strings than the Duncans did while maintaining that sweet, sweet Strat voice!

I know this is off topic but I know you've got the Webber Beam Blockers... I tried to order a set this morning and no one will sell to Canadian customers... Nice free trade deal! LMAO What a joke... maybe there is explosive material in the cones or something?

So seriously... Anyone from Canada know where to get them from?

Get someone in the US to order them for you, and ship them to you :?

A lot of roundabout work, but you'll get them in the end.

How many are you looking to get?

Tough question...

I really like my Voodoo PAF copy with the MArk IV, but I still like the Duncan Distortion.

I use the stock neck and bridge dimarzio's that came in my RG770dx. The middle pickup was pretty anemic so I swapped it with a dimarzio virtual vintage solo pro. Sounds great and virtually no hum. Airzone is on the way.

My parents have a place in California... I'll order them and have them sent there and they can mail them to me.

Likely one Canadian distributor with terrible marketing presence that has exclusive rights to them in Canada and is hiding somewhere under a rock waiting and hoping to someday get a website up and running and sell a few beam blockers for extra income! LOL

I use a Steve Morse EB (Stock dimarzio's), RG1550 (Evo Bridge, Fast Track 1 middle, Breed Neck), and an RG1527 (Blaze bridge and neck). The Steve Morse as far as tone goes, is on the higher end for sure. The pick attack is more present and more dynamic than both Ibanez, more air in the notes, all around vintage feel. It doesn't drive my Mark IV as hard as either of the Ibanez guitars.

Now, the 6-string with the Vai pickups just BURNS. The Evo seems to scream and the Breed in the neck is soo fat sounding. Lead work up past the 12th fret with the Breed sounds like pure butter. Both pickups have such a colored sound and they definetly help you achieve the burning sustain and liquid tone of Steve Vai (obviously his insane touch on the instrument makes his sound as well).

The 7-string with Blaze's, I put those in a while ago and I kind of regret it now. This guitar has the most low end and chunk but it lacks body and definition over all the strings, not just the B. I mean not to the point that it's unusable but I always get the feeling it's not blooming like it should.

I wouldn't say that high output pickups are bad. If you want that super saturated sound then drive the Mark IV harder from stage one with a high output pup. I like having different guitars for those purposes... but I'd have to say I use the EB waaayyy more than the Ibanez. Personally, I always tend to lean towards the guitar that reacts well to dynamics, I like a pronounced voice that's picky about how I pick it : )

I used to use high gain pups, but find much more clarity and dynamics with medium to low pups. 10K on the bridge, 8-9K on the neck, and 8k single in the middle for a HSH combo.

Back