Pulling tubes on a nomad?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicbox

Reaction score
I know its quite possible to pull power tubes with el34's and 6l6's for reduced wattage, and all you need to do is compesnate the ohmage. but how about on a nomad 45 with el84's? i kinow its only 45 watts, but if i could bring it down to 20 thad be awsome! seeing that there is no ohmage slection on mesa's, how do you compensate?

also..
anyone know anything about an 'update' for the power supply section on the nomad 45? called mesa boogie about popping and fuzz in the 'extreme' mode, and they said that it required an update. when i took it into my tech (who mesa/boogie even recomended!) the poor old man wasnt aware of any 'update'. hopefully he can figure it out

musicbox said:
I know its quite possible to pull power tubes with el34's and 6l6's for reduced wattage, and all you need to do is compesnate the ohmage. but how about on a nomad 45 with el84's? i kinow its only 45 watts, but if i could bring it down to 20 thad be awsome! seeing that there is no ohmage slection on mesa's, how do you compensate?

also..
anyone know anything about an 'update' for the power supply section on the nomad 45? called mesa boogie about popping and fuzz in the 'extreme' mode, and they said that it required an update. when i took it into my tech (who mesa/boogie even recomended!) the poor old man wasnt aware of any 'update'. hopefully he can figure it out

You don't really have to compensate for the impendence difference if you're worried about your Output Transformer. The OT will actually see less stress because you're not pushing it as hard as you would be with 4 power tubes in there.

Now, as far as your power tubes are concerned, the impendence mismatch will just work the power tubes harder and they won't last as long. You may be going through EL84's every few months instead of every 6 to 9 months. That's something to think about there.

Dale

Latest posts

Back