PSA: Mesa Boogie Recto FX loops

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody777

Reaction score
I hear a lot of people complain about the parallel loop on the Rectifier series. I have a Tremoverb and the loop was driving me nuts... mostly because the amp sounded 10x better with the loop bypassed! With the loop engaged, the amp lost quite a bit of attack, beef, clarity, bass and gain - some of that could be dialed back in with the tone stack, but not the attack, beef or clarity. The amp just felt and sounded "bigger" with the loop bypassed.

I tweaked that sucker pretty much all day today and found a way to "dial" the oomph back in while still using the FX loop. On the back of the amp, set the send level to as hot as you can without mucking up the sound of the amp or the effects in the loop. Mine was straight up at noon, but then I set it to about 2 o'clock and the beef was back! The amp sounded as good (even better actually!) than it did with the loop completely bypassed.

Obviously, YMMV. A few other factors to note... my mix level is set at 100% so the loop is in theory acting like a serial loop. I'm not sure how this will translate to the 90% max loops on most Rectifiers. I set the loop on for both channels. I also had all of my effects routed in a true bypass loop box, so there was no tone loss due to the pedals. I've done a lot of searches on this topic and never read anything like this. It might just be me and my setup... but I thought I'd share.

this is because the effects loop is controlled by a preamp tube. If you engage that extra tube and set the knobs on the back high, you are essentially adding more gain by driving that extra tube. A lot of people use the efx knobs just to get more gain. Another thing for you to try is to engage the fx loop and run the Output Level knob high (around 12-3oclock) and then mix in the channel master volume knobs to taste (depending on how loud of a room setting you are in). THis converts your amp into a "master volume" amp, like the old marshalls. You are essentially getting true power tube saturation and less preamp saturation. The result for most is more clarity in their chords. have fun and thanks for the tips.

hey,, i still dont understand parallel loops,,,, it just made my recto sound like mud!!!!!, i called mesa today, and they will tell you how to make the mod to series,, i had my recto loop series mod done when i had my tec guy put new tubes in it. its easy wiring and a simple switch,,

I dont get the serial loop... I want to hear my amp, not A/D and D/A converters. To each his own.

Take the time to tweak the amp's EQ and channel masters, send/return/mix levels on both the amp and whatever effects you're using and there will be no mud.

I agree! After some work, I really love how the parallel loop works! I get great tones with it!

well, i did take ibanez4life other post about mixing the recto,,, and i did get rid of all my effects,, and just bought a delay pedal,, but i messed around with the effects in parallel,,, and like i said is was the worst thing in world,, i always heard everybody bitches about the FX loop on mesa, any other marshall, or peavey have series loops, WHY,, why is parallel better, i'm really not trying to sound like an *** but i see and really hear no good come from the parallel loops :?: :?:

sorry not trying to turn this post around,, just trying to understand

and i keep saying series and i mean serial

Parallel loops can be better because they preserve the unaffected tone of the amp, and allow you to dial in the amount of affected signal you desire!

Elpelotero said:
this is because the effects loop is controlled by a preamp tube. If you engage that extra tube and set the knobs on the back high, you are essentially adding more gain by driving that extra tube. A lot of people use the efx knobs just to get more gain. Another thing for you to try is to engage the fx loop and run the Output Level knob high (around 12-3oclock) and then mix in the channel master volume knobs to taste (depending on how loud of a room setting you are in). THis converts your amp into a "master volume" amp, like the old marshalls. You are essentially getting true power tube saturation and less preamp saturation. The result for most is more clarity in their chords. have fun and thanks for the tips.

Interesting... but (at least in my rig) turning up the send level did a lot more than just add gain... it added beef, clarity and bass. I was really able to match the sound I heard when I bypassed the loop completely. I'm happy because I need the loop and now it's way more usable than it was before!

I think parallel loops can cause issues with digital effects with regard to phase issues. I think if all your effects are analog, then parallel is preferable.

Latest posts

Back