PRS Singlecut Questions....UPDATE!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G.I.G.

Reaction score
I'm looking to pull the trigger on a PRS Singlecut in the next couple of months and wanted to get some input from you guys who own them or have played them more than me.

I was curious to find out more about how they sound through your recto's or other amps (I own a DR and a Roadster) and what you think of the #7 pickups they put in them. The only time I have played a Singlecut was out of a Bad Cat class A amp. The guitar sounded killer through that amp but a Bad Cat 30-watt combo is a much different beast than a Dual Rectifier. I have a bunch of guitars but I love playing my PRS Custom 24 the most. I want another PRS that will kill it with a modern, high-gain crunch, but also have a bit of a vintage vibe to it.

What do you guys think of the vintage tuners on the Singlecuts? Do they stay in tune well? I love the PRS locking tuners and that was one of the reasons why I was leaning towards a Custom 22 intially. I think I could live with the vintage style tuners though.

Also, has anyone had any experience buying from Willcutt Guitars? They seem to have a great selection of PRS guitars and they have been very responsive with pricing questions. Do they charge shipping or tax (if you live out of state)? How is their customer service?

Thanks!

G.I.G. said:
I want another PRS that will kill it with a modern, high-gain crunch, but also have a bit of a vintage vibe to it.

I love the PRS locking tuners and that was one of the reasons why I was leaning towards a Custom 22 intially.

Also, has anyone had any experience buying from Willcutt Guitars? They seem to have a great selection of PRS guitars and they have been very responsive with pricing questions. Do they charge shipping or tax (if you live out of state)? How is their customer service?

Thanks!

The singlecut is exactly that--thick hi gain crunch with a vintage vibe. Do yourself a favor--go to aol.com and look up the videos of nickelback playing their songs live in the studio. i think it's called aol sessions. you'll appreciate the sounds =). PRS SC thru recto.

I personally wouldn't pick a Cu22 over a SC simply because of the tuners. The SC has so many difft. things--thicker body, pickups, stoptail...I don't like the sound of a Cu22 in a recto. The 24 cuts more than a 22.

As for Wilcutts, they're one of the top PRS dealers in the country. Very recommended.

You should visit birdsandmoons.com the prs forum

Thanks for the input Elpelotero. I agree, the custom 22 with the dragon pickups doesn't do it for me running through a recto. I definitely like the thicker, beefier tone of the SC through a recto, I just haven't played a SC through a recto myself.

I have also checked out the Birds and Moons forum. That seems to be a great resource as well.

I'll probably end up ordering a SC through Willcutt when I see one come in that I like unless I see it somewhere else first. Willcutt has a huge PRS inventory and they are constantly getting new SC's in.

I'm looking for a SC in McCarty Burst, 10 top, with birds. I would almost kick down for the artist package but I've never been a fan of gold hardware. I would also consider a SC in amber or vintage yellow. So many options...

i bought my Cu24 20th ann artist from Willcutt's and I wouldn't buy a guitar from anywhere else. Most down to earth people working there, very friendly and can answer any question you can think of. Also check out their selection of Private stock PRS' amazing. I asked how they get them, and Eric at Wilcutt's said they just think of something they would like to own and PRS makes it happen.

A few months back they had a SC stoptail artist package with a 1-piece quilt top in whale blue, that was out of this world. Look in Willcutt's "SOLD" section and you can find it in there. It lasted 1 day. Willcutt's is great, 2nd to none IMO.

Glad to hear it! Yeah, I figured Willcutt Guitars wouldn't be such a huge PRS dealer if they didn't have great customer service. They have a great website with lots of high-quality pictures which makes me more comfortable buying a guitar that I can't see in person.

Bruce, do you live outside of KY? I was wondering if they charge shipping or taxes if you are out of state. I should probably just e-mail them directly with that question anyway.

I live in Washington state, just outside Seattle. I paid $2900 + $25 shipping for my CU24 20th ann artist package in vintage yellow. They packed it up great and gave me the tracking number. For the amount of business they do their service was great.

I also purchased my Custom 24 20th Anniversary from Willcutts and couldn't be happier! Those guys rock! As for the Singlecut through a Boogie, you can't go wrong! My Singlecut is the most powerful sounding PRS I own. It has a presence unlike any of my other PRSi, and it has a very "fat" sound to it. When I first got it back in 2000 I wasn't sure I'd like the #7 pickups, but over time they've grown on me and are now one of my favorites. A lot of definition in the tone without being harsh or whiney.

As for Willcutts, if you live out of state you only pay for shipping, no taxes!

ROCK ON!!!

PRSman said:
As for the Singlecut through a Boogie, you can't go wrong! My Singlecut is the most powerful sounding PRS I own. It has a presence unlike any of my other PRSi, and it has a very "fat" sound to it. When I first got it back in 2000 I wasn't sure I'd like the #7 pickups, but over time they've grown on me and are now one of my favorites. A lot of definition in the tone without being harsh or whiney.

ROCK ON!!!

Thanks PRSman. I was wondering about the #7 pickups. I have a Custom 24 as well. How would you compare the Custom 24 to the SC going through your Boogie?

Apparently PRS will be announcing several more Singlecut models at NAMM this year and one of them that is called the SC 250 will be a more "modern" sounding SC with locking tuners, hotter pickups, and an adjustable bridge. I might hold off until those hit the streets.

What do you think of the vintage tuners on the SC's? Not my first choice but if they are functional and stay in tune well, I could probably deal with them.

The Custom 24 and Singlecut are totally different beasts, and my Custom 24 is way more versatile (it's got the 5-way rotary) than the Singlecut. However, for that great thick rock tone the Singlecut is a monster! For lead playing and versatility I'll take the Custom...

The vintage tuners on the PRS stay in tune great. In fact, I rarely have to tune it more than my locking tuner PRSi. They are geared differently than traditional tulip tuners and hold tune much better. As for the adjustable bridge, I was told long ago that Paul Reed Smith himself preferred the tone of the fixed bridge and I've never had an intonation issue with mine in the 6+ years I've had it. However you choose to pursue one you can't go wrong!

I'd be interested in playing the new Singlecut with the shorter 24.5" scale as that's the same scale length as my Santana II. I'd like to see how it feels on a 22 fret instrument.

Good luck with your search!

Does your Singlecut seem a bit bright?? I just got my Tortis Shell !0 top yesterday and have been playing it like a madman.In drop D its incomparable.Great for everything actually but when Im in the clean channel its a bit bright. In the middle pick up selection which is kinda a shock. I've played Les Pauls and Strats before and still do.Its a blast gettin' the strap on !!(jokin') Maybe I'm just not used the #7s??

I've never noticed a brightness issue with the Singlecut. It's not as thick sounding to me overall as a Les Paul is, but I think the Singlecut with the #7's has better tonal definition than a LP. To be honest, I don't use the Singlecut with clean tones too often, but when I do it doesn't sound overly bright to me... That's my 2 cents! BTW, congrats on the new Singlecut! Sounds like a beauty! Let's see a pic if possible!

About 2 months ago, I purchased my first high end guitar....a 20th Anniversary PRS Singlecut!

This this is beast through my recto. Want modern high gain with a slight vintage vibe? The Singlecut is your ticket!

The tuners keep tune AMAZINGLY. I too worried about not having locking tuner, and always thought that they should come stock with them. But after getting the guitar, I see it's not necessary at all. They keep tune just as well, if not better than the locking tuners I have used previously.

I have no intonation problems on the guitar either. I play it in Drop D exclusively, and have not had any trouble. Again, I had hoped that PRS would make this a stock feature. They finally have with the SC250, but to be honest, it's really not necessary either. Paul's motto is that the less pieces a bridge is made off, the better it performs for the guitar.

Finally, the #7s. I was a bit skeptical about them, and was planning on swapping in the set of tremontis I had lying around. I plugged the Singlecut in stock and was just blown away. The #7s are amazingly balanced and articulate pickups. Even under crazy gain, they still retain a great definition. These are definitely my favorite pickups to date, beating out SDs, Dimarzios, and other PRS stock pups.

Great guitar, and you will not be disappointed!

What are the differences from the SE models besides fancier cosmetics (knobs & inlays) and electronics?
I played one with a maple top on it through a Fender Supersonic at a local store last week, and it played and sounded great!! ...for like a quarter of the price.
Oh, and are they made in Korea???

I have an PRS SE Custom that ROCKS!!! The SE's are among the finest import guitars I've ever played (they are made in Korea) , and I've played plenty! That said, my SE has some shortcomings when compared to a US made PRS. The quality of woods and hardware aren't up to US specs, but they do offer incredible bang-for-the-buck! I upgraded my SE Custom with a real PRS nut (made of unobtainium, go figure...), and Shaller locking tuners (which were a direct retro-fit). I must say that it now stays in tune as good or better than any of my American PRSi (all have trems except for my Singlecut). The pickups on the SE Custom are decent, so I don't see replacing them, although they don't offer the coil splitting options like a US made PRS.

The SE's also have flame maple veneer covering standard maple tops while US-made PRSi have true flamed or quilted maple tops. Overall, the value of an SE make them unbeatable, but if you want true PRS tone and quality, you still have to go with the American made models. That's my 2 cents!!!

ROCK ON!!!

I own a PRS Tremonti and a PRS Singlecut. Both in black.

Best guitars ive ever played.

First, I'm new here. But have lurked for a while now. I have played PRS guitars for a long time and honestly, all of them sound good. My favorite peice of eye candy is my 20th annie Artist Custom 24. My favorite tone is my single cut with #7's. These pick ups sound awesome! But my favorite player is my ce 24 bolt on! It just feels right...know what I mean? I have already put money up for one of the new tremonti single cuts because finally PRS is going to build a single cut with a wide thin neck!! I've asked about a guitar like this for years. I can't wait. I have never used a boogie amp. I've always used Marshall. But I think I am going to buy a Roadster, hence the lurking! But rest assured a PRS will sound good through most any amp.

Thanks for everyone's input on the Singlecut.

I just pulled the trigger on a new PRS Singlecut 250! When I read about the new SC 250 I thought it would be a little more up my alley. The three things I always wanted in the PRS Singlecut (locking tuners, hotter pickups, and an adjustable bridge) are now available in the SC 250. That combined with a healthy tax return put me over the edge and made me order one.

I ordered one in the black cherry finish, 10-top, with birds. Hopefully it sounds as good as it's going to look. Bummer is I won't see it until late summer at the earliest. Good things go to those who wait I guess....

BTW PRS_Guitars5, I have a Roadster and my PRS Custom 24 sounds killer going through that amp! You won't be disapointed with one!

I brought my Roadster home last night. Didn't even get a chance to plug it up. But......the wife is in for a real treat this entire week end. :lol: My Roadster and a variety of PRS's at a ridiculous volume! I can't wait.

You'll have to let us know how the SC250 sounds. I ordered the Tremonti in Gray/Black. I love the wide thin neck and that combined with the tone of the single cut (hopefully) will be the perfect guitar for me. and the best thing is, it only says Tremonti on the truss rod cover.......which can be removed and replaced!

Can someone explain to me the difference between the standard and the custom.

Nice thread, its helping edjukate a gibson man.

The custom has a maple top. The standard doesn't. You can get both with any option you want. The top is the only difference.

Latest posts

Back