protecting myself online...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonedkirby

Reaction score
so yeah , im in the market for the Mesa Mark 4....im kinda scared though :shock:

'ive heard about ppl getting ripped off ..losing over a grand to scum bags...

obviously no western union money transfer

whats the best way to pay for something other than an ebay auction ( which isnt fool proof anyway )

is there a certain way to go about doing via paypal? what about check or MO ? any ways to protect myself , be able to make a claim if something goes wrong , verify who it is i am buying from...etc?

thanks for the help

communication with the seller and feedback ratings are a big clue. Talking on the phone, emails, etc. If your "gut" feels very positive, most of the time it's good to go.

altho i'm not such an experienced online buyer, i think that the communication with the seller is very important, eg. the guy is not answering all your questions quickly and precisely and stuff like that...
also, ebay feedback is probably the most important thing (if you're going to do it over ebay)..good luck

there arent any ways to verify someones address or something right? it would probally be dangerous lol...

I can understand why most sellers prefer money transfers/money orders, but I never let them guilt me into it after the auction has ended. If someone says they take paypal, then there is no reason to feel like you are obligated to do a transfer to save them from taking the paypal fee hit.

certainly if you EBay then look at the feedback AND the items they sold/bought. a big ripoff clue is when they are selling a $1000 item and all of their other 20 transactions were for $1 each.

nothing out of the country. period. no wire transfer, always paypal and if they offer 30-60 days no payment take it - then paypal tends to get VERY involved with bad deals.

credit card - i always use AMEX - they have my back in the worst case scenario.

if you are local and craigslist - meet in a VERY public place. more than once i have heard of a setup for a ripoff/theft.

+1 on everything people have suggested. I would definately suggest making your buy through ebay, or through a local pickup situation if possible. Buying without the possible protection of ebay, or local pick up to make sure you get your item seems really risky to me. However, if your still going to buy something from someone off the internet without going through ebay, I would check the reputation of the seller. For example, I would be leary of buying something from someone in a forum where their first post is in the classifieds for a high dollar item. However, I would feel comfortable dealing with someone who has a good reputation in the forum (ie has made numerous sales to other forum members and has recommendations). Past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior. If someone has had great transactions in the past, then its more likely that they won't rip you off in the future. You just have to do your homework. Goodluck!

You mentioned the check or moneyorder option. If I were to use one of those options, it would be a US postal money order. Although it isn't a 100% guarantee, people are sometimes less likely to screw with the government.

I, personally, wouldn't purchase a musical instrument or amp via Ebay. If there was something I must have that is difficult to find and is pricey then I would make travel arrangements to the location of the item and meet the guy at his bank for the transaction.

Buyer beware!

Latest posts

Back