Pros and cons of Channel two on both LSC & LSS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjboogie

Reaction score
I was wondering what the tonal differences on channel two between these two amps. What are the pros and cons of Ch 2?

Anyone?

Hi JJ, for some reason I thought you had both amps?

I find channel 2 on the classic to be more modern sounding if that makes sense. Just a bit clearer and brighter. I'm not sure which I prefer as I like a little bit of each, but after switching from the special to the classic I'm happy I made the right choice.

Mork said:
Hi JJ, for reason I thought you had both amps?

I find channel 2 on the classic to be more modern sounding if that makes sense. Just a bit clearer and brighter. I'm not sure which I prefer as I like a little bit of each, but after switching from the special to the classic I'm happy I made the right choice.

Actually I do not own both.......I own the LSS and love it however I have done a few tours with the LSC however on those tours I was always playing drums half the time so I only ended up using the Channel one.....so unfortunately I really didn't get to experience Ch 2 the way I needed too.......however Ch1 was wonderful!

I would like to get the head version of the LSC too the LSS combo is killing me for these local gigs!

I know what you mean. Even though the special is smaller than the classic it's still a beast to carry. After putting my back out lifting it into a truck I saw a classic head for sale and couldn't resist it (and sold the special for more than I paid for it!). Like I said, I don't regret it. I went for a 1x12 to keep the weight down also.

Oh and another thing, I get more help moving my gear now it's a bit lighter! :D

...I agree with Mork, LSC's CH2 sounds more "modern" to my ears; I use it for heavier stuff like alt rock or alt metal (just to give you an idea, something like Adam Jones' tones), while I prefer CH1 with BB and OCD for more "classic" crunch and lead tones.

Anyway, the two channels sound very different on LSC so in the end it's all about what you're looking for...I personally like this difference cause it perfectly fits my tastes, but it doesn't work the same for everyone.

Bye! :wink:

lonestarpaul said:
...I agree with Mork, LSC's CH2 sounds more "modern" to my ears; I use it for heavier stuff like alt rock or alt metal (just to give you an idea, something like Adam Jones' tones), while I prefer CH1 with BB and OCD for more "classic" crunch and lead tones.

Anyway, the two channels sound very different on LSC so in the end it's all about what you're looking for...I personally like this difference cause it perfectly fits my tastes, but it doesn't work the same for everyone.

Bye! :wink:

Well from the way you guys are describing it, it sounds like that is more suitable to my playing style within the context of the two bands I gig with as well.

Hi JJ,

I had a listen to some of your songs and tonight at rehearsals I was concentrating on my channel two sound, and I can honestly say I think it would suite your style exactly.

It was one of those nights where my amp just sung to me, both channels, and I felt very please with my choice of amp!

Both channels in the 50w setting.

Mork said:
Hi JJ,

I had a listen to some of your songs and tonight at rehearsals I was concentrating on my channel two sound, and I can honestly say I think it would suite your style exactly.

It was one of those nights where my amp just sung to me, both channels, and I felt very please with my choice of amp!

Man thank you for taking the time to do that! My touring schedule will be picking up in July through the rest of the year so I will finally have an opportunity to work with the LSC especially since it is on my ryder now for backline.

However I would still like to have one to own for use with my wife's band. In due time! :D

Mork said:

...that's becoming my favourite setting too..50w on both channels and my Stiletto 8ohm cab plugged into the 4ohm jack of the head. I'm having the same experience these days...love the sound!!!

..50w on both channels and my Stiletto 8ohm cab plugged into the 4ohm jack
I've tried the 4 ohm jack but not really sure I liked it. Will try again next rehearsal. In the meantime we have two gigs this weekend and I'm not changing a thing!

Mork said:
..50w on both channels and my Stiletto 8ohm cab plugged into the 4ohm jack
I've tried the 4 ohm jack but not really sure I liked it. Will try again next rehearsal. In the meantime we have two gigs this weekend and I'm not changing a thing!
...to my ears it sounds a lot more punchy and reactive at 50w on both channels...I'll try other configurations, but right now I think I'll keep this one. Anyway I agree...don't change your settings if you're not sure and especially before a gig! :wink:

Well the amp sounded just amazing last night, both clean and dirty channels. Great acoustics in the venue. Tomorrow's gig is open air, really interested to see how it performs. Boss SD-1 is doing a great job for a boost when near to feedback OD is called for.

JJ, when you get your hands on the LSC and you get to play around with channel 2, let us know what you think. LSPaul- I'd be interested to to see your dial settings...not that I'm changing anything on mine! Just to compare ( I know we have different speakers but I'm curious).

Mork said:
JJ, when you get your hands on the LSC and you get to play around with channel 2, let us know what you think.

Yep will do!

I am not going back on tour until the end of June going into July so it will be a minute!

Mork said:
LSPaul- I'd be interested to to see your dial settings...not that I'm changing anything on mine! Just to compare ( I know we have different speakers but I'm curious).
...sure, I'll take a pic as soon as I can :wink:

Mork said:
LSPaul- I'd be interested to to see your dial settings...not that I'm changing anything on mine! Just to compare ( I know we have different speakers but I'm curious).
...my current settings... :wink:

lonestarpaul said:
Mork said:

Hey I'm just curious here. How do you guys get away with setting the bass, treble, and presence so high! I remember reading bunch on here about how Andy Timmons has to dial the bass and presence way down. I've tried turning up the bass past nine ... but it just doesn't sound good on my LSS. Kinda of flubby. Even when I crack the treble up past around 10 it just sounds too harsh. I'm doing something wrong here. I'm just wondering how you get good tone with setting that high??? Different tubes, speakers ??

Thanks

Ron

Rockin_Ron said:
lonestarpaul said:
Mork said:

Hey I'm just curious here. How do you guys get away with setting the bass, treble, and presence so high! I remember reading bunch on here about how Andy Timmons has to dial the bass and presence way down. I've tried turning up the bass past nine ... but it just doesn't sound good on my LSS. Kinda of flubby. Even when I crack the treble up past around 10 it just sounds too harsh. I'm doing something wrong here. I'm just wondering how you get good tone with setting that high??? Different tubes, speakers ??

Thanks

Ron

Must be playing a Tele on the bridge pick up 100% of the time!

J/k

I don't get how that is doable either.......too much mud and darkness

jjboogie said:
Rockin_Ron said:
lonestarpaul said:

Thanks

Ron

Must be playing a Tele on the bridge pick up 100% of the time!

J/k

I don't get how that is doable either.......too much mud and darkness
...actually I made these settings mainly using my Gibson SG Standard ehehe :lol:

Well, that's an interesting point: when I bought the amp I did the same thing: bass all the way down (especially on CH2), and the other pots in a less "drastic" position. Then I began to know my amp better and searching for a different kind of tone compared to the one I was using before, something less "vintage" and more "modern".
Right now I use CH1 with BB Preamp + Fulltone OCD to achieve crunch and lead tones, while I use CH2 for higher gain sounds when I need them.

I guess this is a totally subjective process that depends on two fundamental preambles: the tone you're looking for (even in a particular moment) and the gear you use. Consider also that Timmons runs his Lonestar through Recto closed-back cabinets while I use an open-back Stiletto one: this affects a lot how mid and bass frequencies come out of the speakers and that's why I'm using that kind of eq.

Anyway, always great to share our experiences! :wink:

Bye!

Latest posts

Back