Proper Way To Connect A Delay Pedal To The Mark V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpiderWeb

Reaction score
I was hoping that I could get some advice as to how to properly connect a delay pedal to the Mark V. Also, I keep my Mark V Combo on a stand, so I will need to keep the pedal on the floor. Are there cable lengths that are too long?

After sixty-two views I haven't gotten a response. Is there someone who could give me some quick advice on this. I know that the ultimate answer is "connect the delay anyway that you think it sounds best." I just wanted to know if there are pros and cons to placing the delay in front of the amp or in the effects loop (which I am a newbie dealing with...). How do most of you guys do it and why? Thanks!

I personally only use a delay in the effects loop. Placing the delay in the front just doesn't sound right to me at all. I always run my time based or pitch effects in the loop after the preamp circuit. The cons are that you can get some tone suck from your loop but after the band kicks in it doesn't matter anyway. The good thing about the Mark is you have a footswitchable bypass for the loop to turn it on or off.

Also, as long as you have a buffered effects loop you should be able to use 2 10 ft cables for send and return...again tone suck but only really noticed when you are playing without a band and at higher volumes.

There is no tone suckage if you're using a high quality unit with top shelf A/D D/A converters, e.g. like some units from TC Electronic , Eventide, etc.....

Some people confuse suckage with tone coloration....but coloration is a natural byproduct of effecting the tone (duh?). I found that when I had my Eventide Eclipse (which is known to have great audio converters...) the quality of my tone actually improved in some of my amps that didn't have the greatest loops (like the older Shiva).

Pedals from Boss will surely degrade the quality of your tone in the Mark V loop.....

If the pedal says..Guitar in/amp out..In the front. if it has some kind of volume or level control you can run it in the loop...

I have run my Eventide in the loop with ten foot cables with no issues of degradation of signal. The BOSS DD-3 doesn't play well with line-level signals, it distorts badly. TC Nova Delay also worked well for me.

Thanks! Just the information that I needed. I have a Stymon TimeLine on the way. I wanted to make sure that I knew my connection options . I appreciate the guidance...

Latest posts

Back