Probs with Lead and R2 on Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trem

Reaction score
Hi there,

I get flubby bass on R2 and lead. With R2, dialing the bass to 0 helps, but not enough. Plus on this channel it sounds like there's this annoying octave-like thingy that goes with the notes. Similar to Blackmore's rhythm tone on Speed King. Other than that, I'm beginning to like this channel. Enough gain to do Schenker, and more open than the lead channel.

With the lead channel, the flubby bass appears when I turn down the treble to anywhere below 7. Turning the down the bass to 0 doesnt help here.

Settings..

R2
Gain 10 Pulled
Bass 0
Mid 8
Treble 9.5-10
Pres 3 Pushed
Master 3

Lead
Gain 7.5 Pulled
Treble 8
Bass 2
Mid 10
Drive 7 Pulled
Pres 2 Pushed
Master 3

Output 2

GEQ slight V with pulled 6600
Tweed/Full, Triode, Simul
Mark IVA

What gives? Power tubes (3 years)? Thanks.

~trem

That's one of the reasons I dislike R2 tremendously. I can't dial the bass flubbiness out of it to suit me. Keep messing with it, and maybe you'll get a decent compromise.

If your power tubes are 3 years old you're probably due for another set.. that should definitely help out the bass flub.

Also, are you getting ghost notes on CH2?

Platypus said:
If your power tubes are 3 years old you're probably due for another set.. that should definitely help out the bass flub.

Also, are you getting ghost notes on CH2?
Thanks. Is the octave note considered a ghost note? That only happens on R2 though.

Oh yeah, it's a compact combo with EVM. I tried it through a recto standard 4x12 once. Although the bass was thundering through those, no flub occured. Is this normal?

You have to accept the compact combo for what it is; a compact combo that sounds like a compact combo. A 1x12 theile cab under that baby will open up all the sonic potential of the amp and give you a huge bottom that is controlable and sweet. For sure a +1 on some new power tubes.

Latest posts

Back