Problems with MKIV Loop , need help !

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lights Out

Reaction score
Hi
I have finally rack mounted my MKIV .
It seemed the perfect amp to use for my Covers band

Im running a Rocktron Replifex into the FX loop & I have to say Im not happy with the sound .

Im keeping the master levels on each channel on 3 or below as suggested, but I cant seem to get Lush tones .

It sounds (not as bad) but like Im using the FX before the amps input.
the levels on the FX unit are not peaking out, so I can't be running a overly Hot signal ??

Can anyone help me out here ?

Thanks

Is the problem with the sound of the effects through the amp or the amp's tone itself?

Why don't you try going through the effects loop instead of the input? (Depending on which effects you're using...)

No we can tell you what's going wrong without hearing the amp !
Let me guess ...

rocktron output ---- fx loop input

fx loop output ---- rocktron input

That's the way you're going ? :shock:

Try setting the individual channel masters higher, because that is what controls the signal going to the loop. Think of the channel masters as preamp sends and the master volume as the output.

Yeah I have it set up right with the send & returns.

I dont want to run the signal too hot as I thought it might distort the signal in the loop !

I could be wrong with this way of thinking but reading many posts on the MKIV loop it seems to be the way to do it.

Could be just a dud FX Loop.

Im going to compare with a friends Marshall DSL , from what I remember
sounded very Lush with some Reverb & delay in the Loop.
That way at lest know its not the replifex but the Loop.

I run this way with R1 on 6, R2 on 4.5, and Lead on 5. I use a Rocktron Xpression though. Before this I had an Intellifex which also worked well with those settings. Does your rocktron have -10db/4db switch like mine does? The -10db is for putting the unit in front of the input and sounds very weak in the loop. The xpression also has an input level knob and a level meter.

Lights Out said:
Yeah I have it set up right with the send & returns.

I dont want to run the signal too hot as I thought it might distort the signal in the loop !

I could be wrong with this way of thinking but reading many posts on the MKIV loop it seems to be the way to do it.

Could be just a dud FX Loop.

Im going to compare with a friends Marshall DSL , from what I remember
sounded very Lush with some Reverb & delay in the Loop.
That way at lest know its not the replifex but the Loop.

Good call iwith The -10db thing , I tried it last night.
It sounds the same just makes it louder or queiter

Its a MKIV A . I tried both FX Loops it sounds the same
All the valves are new JJ's ( yeah I know not the best choice)
b
But would they make much difference with the FX Loop ?

I've got JJ's in mine, but I have never used anything else. I bought the amp used, and immediately re-tubed with a set of JJ's from eurotubes.com. The only prob I have with the loop is that R1 seems to be prone to clipping, so I end up having to watch the gain setting in conjunction with the channel volume, and still need to make sure the levels are in line with the gain channels. The Xpression sounds pretty good in the loop though.

Lights Out said:
Good call iwith The -10db thing , I tried it last night.
It sounds the same just makes it louder or queiter

Its a MKIV A . I tried both FX Loops it sounds the same
All the valves are new JJ's ( yeah I know not the best choice)
b
But would they make much difference with the FX Loop ?

Back