Preamp tubes for Triple Recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DS-1

Reaction score
Hi guys!

After 4 years of intense playing, I think it's time to change the preamp tubes on my Triple Recto.

I'd like to have a more clean green channel, trying to limit the too fizzy sound on 3th channel in Modern mode.

Is there any preamp tubes configuration that can me obtain these things?

Now I have JJ EL34 on my Triple, but I often swap it with Gray Mesa 6L6.

Also, is there any suggested tube for the loop?

Thanks in advance for the reply (and sorry for my bad English!).

I recently swapped V1 tube (which in my case was JJ 12AX7) for Tung-Sol, since I read many good things about this tube in V1 on this forum and it was a great improvement. I would say it took some harshness from highs, some fizz too and also made mids more complex. So it was good step forward.
I also would like to know what improvements can be achieved with some tube combinations on triples.

Unless it is on a Roadster, I always found Tung-Sol's to be a little too bright (if they are working at all).

To beef things up and tighten up the amp in general, I use a Sovtek LPS in V1, and EH in V2 and Chinese (Ruby 12ax7c7) in V3. That way you get the nice break up in the gain channels and keep the clean channel fat sounding.

Again, just my personal preference. I generally try to avoid JJ preamp tubes.

I don't ever see these recommended around here but:

EH 12AX7 Gold Pins

These tubes are freakin' amazing, especially for Recto users.

They're total high gain, but they have more of a 'scooped' sound to them--which in return gets the Rec really tight,chunky and articulate with really nice bottom--and brutal at high volumes. They work super well in the lead section, too. I love these tubes. Highly recommended.

~Nep~

Neptical said:

EH 12AX7 Gold Pins

~Nep~

+1

Totally agree. My EH Gold Pin is one of my favorite tubes I own. I like it more than the NOS RCA and GE tubes I have.

fluff191 said:
Unless it is on a Roadster, I always found Tung-Sol's to be a little too bright (if they are working at all).

To beef things up and tighten up the amp in general, I use a Sovtek LPS in V1, and EH in V2 and Chinese (Ruby 12ax7c7) in V3. That way you get the nice break up in the gain channels and keep the clean channel fat sounding.

Again, just my personal preference. I generally try to avoid JJ preamp tubes.

To me tung-sol did good things, but it was first preamp tube change I ever made :) There might be much better choices. I agree, it brightened the amp. I forgot to state that I play mahagony sevenstring guitar, which has really dark and deep tone to it, so it worked for me. But it won`t hurt to experiment with other tubes and combinations.

Also how about Mesa 12ax7s? Are they any good?

NEVIEM said:
Also how about Mesa 12ax7s? Are they any good?

Yes. The EH I run in V2 of my amp is a Mesa Russian-2, and the Chinese tube for my V3 is always going between the Ruby 12ax7c and the Mesa Chinese. These are the tubes that came stock with my amp and I am always using some combination of the Mesa preamp tubes.

The Mesa Russian-1's (JJ) I do not care for. Really general and muddy sounding tube IMO.

I wish you could actually pick and choose the Mesa pre's. Although I am sure you could if you called them.

Neptical said:

EH 12AX7 Gold Pins

They're total high gain, but they have more of a 'scooped' sound to them--which in return gets the Rec really tight,chunky and articulate with really nice bottom--and brutal at high volumes. They work super well in the lead section, too. I love these tubes. Highly recommended.

~Nep~

Are you talking about this one?

http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/product_info.php/info/p52_EH-12AX7---ECC83-Gold.html

If so, are you using these in all positions?

DS-1 said:

http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/product_info.php/info/p52_EH-12AX7---ECC83-Gold.html

Yep, that's the one. It certainly wouldn't hurt putting them in all positions (if you wanted to spend the money), but I don't think it's necessary. V1/V3 positions to start--V2-V5 could take a mix of EH (non-gold) and Chinese ( pretty much as Fluff mentioned).

And if you really wanted to go all out, get yourself a set of Winged =C= EL34s in there. When driven, those tubes have this smoother crunch to them that I really like alot. They kind of remind me of my NOS Tesla 34s that (imho) are one of the best power tubes I've ever experienced.

~Nep~

Trying to do a summary, what tubes would you buy, from V1 to V5, considering that I should buy it from Tube Town (the link I posted)?

Take care of the fact that I have JJ EL34 now, but I could swap it with gray Mesa 6L6 and that I'd like to buy for sure this EH you told me and a neutral tube, such like Tung Sol, for the loop.

Neptical said:
DS-1 said:

Yep, that's the one. It certainly wouldn't hurt putting them in all positions (if you wanted to spend the money), but I don't think it's necessary. V1/V3 positions to start--V2-V5 could take a mix of EH (non-gold) and Chinese ( pretty much as Fluff mentioned).

And if you really wanted to go all out, get yourself a set of Winged =C= EL34s in there. When driven, those tubes have this smoother crunch to them that I really like alot. They kind of remind me of my NOS Tesla 34s that (imho) are one of the best power tubes I've ever experienced.

~Nep~

DS-1 said:
Trying to do a summary, what tubes would you buy, from V1 to V5, considering that I should buy it from Tube Town (the link I posted)?

To start:

2- EH 12AX7 / ECC83 Gold
2- EH 12AX7 / ECC83
1- Sovtek 12AX7 / ECC83 LPS

Play around with that.

~Nep~

Thanks a lot, Neptical.

Which one will be used for loop?

Neptical said:
DS-1 said:

To start:

2- EH 12AX7 / ECC83 Gold
2- EH 12AX7 / ECC83
1- Sovtek 12AX7 / ECC83 LPS

Play around with that.

~Nep~

fluff191 said:
DS-1 said:
Which one will be used for loop?

I would put a regular EH in the loop, preferably non-high gain, and the LPS in V1.

Yep--what Fluff said!
7.gif

Play around with the combinations, though. It's fun experimenting and seeing the different tones you can get.

~Nep~

Perfect!

I've bought these tubes:

2x EH 12AX7 / ECC83 Gold
2x EH 12AX7 / ECC83
1x Sovtek 12AX7 / ECC83 LPS

Thanks for the help. I'll write you here when the package will be here!

DS-1 said:
Perfect!

I've bought these tubes:

2x EH 12AX7 / ECC83 Gold
2x EH 12AX7 / ECC83
1x Sovtek 12AX7 / ECC83 LPS

Thanks for the help. I'll write you here when the package will be here!

No problem! Excellent!

~Nep~

The tubes arrived today!

Now, I suppose it could be nice to try the Sovtek LPS in the V1 position.

Then how could I use the other tubes? In which position would you use the two EH Gold Pin and the other two standard EH 12AX7?

Thanks for replies, guys!

I've installed the new preamp tubes.

Now I have the Triple at home, so the only channel I can use at gig volumes is the clean. It sounds more clean and cristalline to me, and the MID pot seems to work better than with the old tubes.

Instead, I have no comments about orange and red channel.

Now I've got serious issues with the FX loop, so I need to fix it before testing it with the new tube.

Latest posts

Back