preamp tubes for DR

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtb226

Reaction score
hey everyone, what would you recommend? i play a lot of different styles of rock music, from nickelback to metallica. i'd like something that will run quietly, but can give me the gain i'm looking for. should i put something different in V1 than the rest of the preamp tube spots?

i'm pretty new to tubes, so it'd be great if you could keep your answers simple for me. i'm a little slow sometimes. :oops: lol

thanks everyone

I wrote this in another thread but it's what I use.

I personally feel that JJ ECC83s in V1 of a DR is overkill. The gain gets really fizzy with these tubes. I use either the GT 12AX7-M's or JJ ECC803's in V1... I favor the GT. Then GT12AX7-C's V2, and V3. For the Loop and PI, I use the JJ ECC83's in V4 and V5. Just my .02

so i'm assuming that the preamp tubes aren't like power amp tubes in the fact that they don't all need to be the same?

Correct. They do have different qualities, such as gain factor or (Mu). Some sound harsh, bright, soft, fizzy, It depends what you want coming out of your amp in the end. Remeber the preamps tubes are where your sound starts V1 in most cases.

Also don't forget you can adjust your gain factor by choosing a different tube type in V1 or for any of the positions for that matter. Using a 5751 will drop your gain by 30% then a 12at7 will drop it another 10% or so. You can go beyond that but it really beings to take serious amounts of gain away from the tube. 12ay7 and then 12au7 will eventually take you down really low. Talk about different, these types of tubes change your really amp's characteristics.

ok, so i guess i should be more specific? i'm looking for a modern rock sound out of my amp. along the lines of tremonti, nickelback, etc. what would you suggest for that kind of sound? i'm retubing the power section with JJ 6L6's tonight, and was thinking JJ's for the preamp, but if there is something better, i'd definitely consider it. I've heard good things about electro-harmonix preamp tubes as well. any experiences?

hmm. ok. thought the price seemed a little too good to be true for the review they got from thetubestore.com . they didn't make a mention of longevity though, so i guess that makes sense.

as of right now, i'm thinking of a tung-sol or JJ ECC803 in V1, GT 12AX-7 Cs in 2 and 3, and JJ ECC83's in 4 and 5. any thoughts?

Guitarzan said:
EH to me sound gritty. They don't last longer than 10-15 hours. I need a clean and smooth overdrive.

10-15 hours? I've got some that have hundreds of hours on them and they're working fine.

Chad said:
Guitarzan said:
EH to me sound gritty. They don't last longer than 10-15 hours. I need a clean and smooth overdrive.

10-15 hours? I've got some that have hundreds of hours on them and they're working fine.

Me too... I have been waiting for it to die in the Mark IV so I could put a real tube in its place. FWIW It is not in V1 though. I couldn't take it.

Most of the ones I have had went microphonic really quick. Most of my tube swapping happens in V1. They may work fine later down the chain. I just have had less than satisfying results with them.

Back