Preamp tube-y a gone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ukalali_Solo

Reaction score
Ok so im sure many of you are familiar with the Mesa Boogie Series I Tubes.
2-6l6
5-12ax7

well i noticed today while i was playing that i was getting a nasty (microphonic?) hiss. So my first thought was "snap, the power tubes". However after some careful "deductive" reasoning and some experimentation, i found that my V2 preamp tube had gone bad. Whoever owned this amp before me had Groove Tubes (Red GT12AX7C) in here, now should i go ahead and get another Groove? or should i try out some other tubes? My local amp shop has JJ's, Sovteks, GT's, Ruby's....and some others that i cant remember. What do you guys think?

Hey Ukalali_Solo,

I had the same problem when I bought my F-50. I had some Groove tubes interspersed in both the power and preamp section.

You might try the JJ's. Remember your amp is a fixed bias amp. I've bought JJ's from Bob at Eurotubes and he matches the tubes and will get you a set that will fall within the the bias setting of your amp. His prices are very good and you pay a little for shipping.

I bought a full retube kit of JJ's and it made a difference in how my amp sounds. I would buy another set from Eurotubes if I needed them. In fact, I have a set on the way from him. Bob is a great guy and will give you good advice on which tubes to get, if you need help. Go to Eurotubes.com and send him an e-mail.

Thanks for that link i found this on the site very good find for rectifier and other mesa amp owners http://eurotubes.com/euro-n.htm

Latest posts

Back