Preamp or Power amp tube problem - tech question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herrball

Reaction score
OK Guys, tube tech question here......

On my DC-5 I am hearing a strange out of phase sound and an individual note fades out. ( right at the tail end of the note) I noticed recently doing some recording with my iso box and after switching to my main cabs, I did notice it there as well so it rules out the iso box and phase issues there.
I have new Ruby 6L6's in but have not changed the preamp tubes in the 2yrs that I've had the head and I bought it used so the tubes could be original. I just am concerned it may be more than tubes. need them either way but didn't know if a tranny could cause this type of problem.
BTW - it happens with both types of pups : EMG and passive pups.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Go ahead and change those preamp tubes, particularly the Phase Inverter tube. Also make sure your pickups aren't too close to the strings on your guitar.

I'll be on the tube store site tonight. thanks.

Oh, and the pups height is good, I don't hear this problem with my other amps. they're EMG's so I don't need to set them so they are kissing the strings. ;-)

So my tubes from Doug just came in today. I changed V1 and V2 to new JJ ECC83S' and the phase inverter to a new Sovtek. The reverb tube was new as of a new reverb tank a yr ago and I kept V3,4.

Gotta tell ya, just changing v1/2 at the front end of the gain stage made a noticeable difference in harmonics, sustain and also brightened up the tone a bit. Kinda like new strings. ;-) I also could roll back the lead gain which I had been running at just a notch above 7 and pulled it back to 6. still the great sustain but notes were clearer.

Thanks for the help.

Back