• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

pre500 DR chrome chassis/black diamond R0094 on ebay !

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThunderMonkey

Reaction score
Just passing this on as I know, especially Johnson, some are looking for these early series DR's. Pretty sweet
Seller had this in storage supposedly has fuse blowing, power-up issues.
I'm sure it's nothing too major but probably well worth it even if it needs to go in the shop !

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Dual-Rectifier-Amp-Head-Rare-Original-R0094_W0QQitemZ130101534707QQihZ003QQcategoryZ43374QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hmmmmm......... an' I just bought a post500, **** :!: :?

\t/\m/

:D ****, I might have to find a way to come up with the money. :D

Is rust on the Chrome chassis a big problem? This one seems to have some. I was just wondering if that is why Mesa went with the black ones, or if the black ones were just cheaper to make.

Is rust on the Chrome chassis a big problem? This one seems to have some. I was just wondering if that is why Mesa went with the black ones, or if the black ones were just cheaper to make.

Looks like there may be a little pitting but the rust seems to be mostly on the tube retainer rings & a little on the PT.

Still, with a little work... these early ones show up so far & few between, most hold onto theirs.

Yeah, I wish I had the extra funds as well, I'd max bid this puppy so no one could snipe :wink:

\t/\m/ Carlos

Upon closer inspection, yeah you're right. There is a good bit of rust throughout. May be why it's blowing fuses !
Electricity and rust...NOT a happy match.

As far as why MESA changed up chrome/black, I think has more to do with aesthetics and personal choice. Then again, Mesa have always been frankenstein tinkering. Look at all the revisions, series, upgrades they've mad throughout the years. No rhyme or reason other than they can and always try to make things better/different. Most with great success, obviously !

My chrome also had RUST just like this one, except a little less. It was nothing some steel wool/kmart chrome cleaning liquid didn't fix. Just be VERY CAREFUL around the silk-screened lettering as that WILL COME OFF! I learned the hard way when I scraped off a couple of letters by getting too greedy.

So what's the betting on the fuse blowing.....blown tube(s) or plugging in without a load???? :shock:

So what's the betting on the fuse blowing.....blown tube(s) or plugging in without a load????

I had a '97 2 channel that I sold to a friend. At the time, I didn't use effects, so I didn't know that the loop had a problem.

Everytime he tried to use the loop, it would blow the fuse.

He later sent it into Mesa and the fixed it right up.

The guy I bought it from never mentioned anything about this, and I know that he used the loop.

As for bidding high, I only have so much. I might have to wait for the next broken one. I sure would like to pick this up at a decent price though.

+1,000,000 to Thundermonkey! Thansk for looking out- I really appretiate that! I think bidding on this one will get interesting :twisted: ! Im worried about the blown fuses though...whats the worse case senerio as far as cost of fixing it?

Johnson said:
+1,000,000 to Thundermonkey! Thansk for looking out- I really appretiate that! I think bidding on this one will get interesting :twisted: ! Im worried about the blown fuses though...whats the worse case senerio as far as cost of fixing it?

Worst case could be some serious damage to the amp which would make it unusable (things like PCB having holes in it, tranny blown, etc). You can't really assume much because we weren't there when it blew the fuse. A cloud of smoke could have come out of the amp and that's the reason he decided to sell so who really knows.

If you are the type that is afraid of sticking your hands inside of an amp and removing/swapping out components then it wouldn't be worth it for the average user to buy this amp fully expecting to fix it themselves. If you are hip to the notion that it may have to go to professional for repairs if your electronic skills aren't up to snuff then it may not be a bad deal.

Greg

Monsta-Tone said:
:D I can give her the love she needs. :D

I bet you can man, I bet you can. :lol:

I think it would be worth it if you could pick her up for fairly cheap. :wink:
Wait a minute ...this thread is starting to sound like a...

I'm curious as to what Boogiebabies has to add...I know there are alot of variables and possibilities as to the cause but definitely time and oxidation is part culprit.

Are there any circumstances where the amp would be completely "unfixable" given the symptoms of blown fuses?

All those spots of rush makes it look like the amp was kept in a very moist place.

Though that configuration is my favorite (love the blackface, chrome chasis), I would worry about it a bit! It's a shame it's such an earyl one :(

the page says he never played the amp for 10 years and it blew a fuse the first time he turned it on....can you really expect a 10yr old amp to work perfect bam-boom after 10 years?

I bet the fuse was old as hell and the tubes are bad too. A little bit of TLC will make this amp scream once more.

If it has been sitting for 10 years it might need to be brought up slowly. The caps could be bad.

How much are all of those things to replace? Caps? tranny? etc? I am literally an idiot when it comes to electronics so i need the dummy version! :shock:

I doubt the tranny needs replacement. If it does, they are no longer using those trannies. It could be expensive to replace. You could have custom trannies spec'd out for you though from a good tranny manufacturer like Mercury Magnetics though. The cost of the repairs may or may not bring this amp up to the cost of buying one that doesn't need repairs. If it ends up costing the same then at least it is in better shape after the repairs. Again, it could just be needing a fresh set of tubes (as cheap as $200 for the set).

The oldest ones were closer to a SLO100 in tone. They are much tighter than the newer ones and even the 2 ch. ones to follow. It has been said that they are closest to a Mark series amp's tightness than any of the Rec series. They are all about the dirty channel though. The cleans are supposedly horrible but it makes up for it in the dirty channel. I would relate it to a Marshall 2205/2210 in that aspect but with the Mesa Dual Rec sound as opposed to the Marshall 800 sound. My 94 Dual Rec is pretty nice in the red channel but I have also found it to sound good in the orange as well. The cleans are passable but not on par with the Marks by any means. Read up on them. There are some excellent threads here in the modern section concerning the differences and comparisons.

Dumb Question- What is an OT and how much does it cost? Also how much does a cap job cost? Thanks guys :!:

Latest posts

Back