• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

pre500 DR chrome chassis/black diamond R0094 on ebay !

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was one stinky auction - 2 "0" feedback bidders going at it, one who joined on Tuesday (the "winner") and beating out one seemingly legit bidder who has decent feedback and has been around for some time, but must have REALLY wanted that thing bad! I had to laugh out loud at the winning bidders username: "Mischilz17". My shills. That truly says it all! I'm starting to believe there are a group of total tools who sign up for a bunch of accounts and mess with people's auctions as a form of entertainment, jacking prices up and going for the thrill of yanking someone's chain. Z

Kung-Fool said:
Eddy666 said:
Kung-Fool said:
Holy sh!t! I think I'm putting my R0028 on ebay if I can get that kind of cash. :D

go ahead :lol:

$2,600 and it's yours! Hell, mine even works...lol! :lol:

:lol:
Seriously, are you interested in selling your amp?

I did not offer 2550 for that amp but I think it was a high offer.
If you are interested in selling PM me.

OK, I feel compelled to chime in here. Embarassingly enough I think I contributed to this chaos in a weird way. I've got R0109 myself and it's a fine amp, but I think there is some internet hype surrounding these early blackface models. Nonetheless, they are collectable, and I collect vintage amps, primarily Fenders. They do sound good, but in my honest opinion this may still be a case of "the older ones" sound better" rumor. They don't - always, they're just rare and collectable. That's a fact. Anyway, I plan on buying a few more of these to keep and play, as I know they will increase in value, and they're sweet.. I call my vintage amp collection my "fourth savings account", as most of them do not decrease in value. I have two good amp techs and I feel confident that the R0094 that sold on eBay can be fixed easily - or at least without much cash. Probably $100.00. After all, the guy has PERFECT feedback, and there is no mention of smoke when the amp popped a fuse like someone said on this forum.. I feel these amps are honestly worth about $1,500-$2,000 depending on the value. After all, I only paid $1,050 for mine about three months ago and it's not as rough as some I have seen.

Anyway, I got a little greedy, set my friggin alarm for 2:30 in the morning to get up and bid on the R0094 ebay amp. Thanks to some here I now know about Proxy bidding. My top dollar I was willing to pay was around $2,000, and I know that's nuts, but again, if I overpaid, I will break even in six months, etc. I don't plan on selling these. I got caught up in the madness and entered a stupid high bid of $2,500 thinking I would win it at $2,000, I was wrong, I thought Holy ****! I think the winner of this auction will prove to be a phony, and I'd like to thank him for saving my @$$! Like I said, I am still shopping if anyone has one for sale please contact me.

Case in point: R0344 is on the flea right now. Here's a good example of one to watch, hopefully this auction will prove me right. NO BIDS and only 3 days to go. Peace..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=300105320563&rd=1&rd=1

Surfguitar! said:
After all, the guy has PERFECT feedback, and there is no mention of smoke when the amp popped a fuse like someone said on this forum..

I know that this is after the fact and doesn't really matter...but I sent the seller a private message and asked if there was smoke and a burning smell when the fuse blew and he said that there was. The fact that he did not mention the smoke in the orginal description seems shady to me IMHO. Plus he refused to show any pictures of the amp from the inside which just adds to the shadyness factor for me. Sorry for beating a dead horse with this post! :oops:

honestly though, are the Pre 500 club really worth more then their 2 channel counter-parts? what would u say the street value of a Black face pre 500 is and also what is the street value of a 2 channel black face with the serial in the thousands? and do u think the price would be different on a "reg" pre 500? lets assume all amps are at average condition ^^.

I've been in the market for a pre500 for a few months now and this is what I have observed on ebay. (im relatively new here so please correct me guys if im wrong on anything!) over the past 3 months here are the prices i've seen.

Normal Pre500 is going between 1300-1400
Blackface w. a s/n in the 1000's I saw one go for 1400
The only black face pre-500 that I saw went for 2,500+ (but i don't think that is a realistic estimate of its worth).
I am guessing that a pre500 blackface would get between1400-1600
Also, Im guessing that a regular pre500 with an abnormally low serial number would get more $. Just my cents for what its worth-

My worthless opinion...

Pre-500's: my position is that they are worth more due to 1. Hype, 2. they made fewer, and 3. They may sound *slightly* different than their newer counterparts. I value them around $1,400-$2,000 depending on condition. I believe that to be fact, as I've been looking. My R0109 was $1,050 three months ago, I got lucky. They will go up. I just like unique stuff, and admittedly have been guilty of shopping with my eyes and not my ears. 8)

Post-500's: Still a VERY SWEET amp, sounds slightly different, perhaps. I think different transformers may have been used, but I have been told by my tech the earlier, rarer transformers carried over for several YEARS. These are known as DeYoungs, and were also used in VHT's, and Soldano's. Another difference is circuit modifications. But again, who has proven these amps are better - nobody I know. I still like the collectability factor, because I collect tube amps. Post-500's are worth about $1,200-$1,600?

That said, my friend has a triple rectifier and it flat out sounds pissed! Actually better in some regard. MUCH heavier. I can still get my "Blackie" to muster up plenty of muscle though with a dose of heavy volume. :twisted:

the market for this amp has officially started.....I got mine last summer at 900 a piece with me being the only bidder! incredible how things change. these amps really do sound different. it's no hoax.

Elpelotero, yes, it's funny how the "market" shifts.. I think the Internet and forums like this, etc. have everything to do with it.

Two examples:

1. When I started playing again in '99 Fender had just introduced something called "Relics". Many thought these were weird, but they caught on. Fender's Custom Shop outsourced the "aging" process in the early days, but then moved that process in-house in '99 I think. A new series of Relics were then born and labled "Time Machines". The old ones had funky neck specs, etc. and were historically inaccurate, so when the new "correct" models surfaced, the vintage snobs wrote off the old models. Those old models are now worth the most money (over $3,000), and at one time were hard to sell because they had "issues".

2. I'll never forget when a friend of mine years ago returned from Florida with a pawn shop score. It was an '81 Les Paul Custom Silverburst. It had a "Bad ***" bridge, and NO frets - they were toast. I thought man, I can't believe he paid $999.00 for this lug. It needs frets and a correct bridge, that's $500 worth of parts! Now, those sell for $2500-$3500!

It's a supply and demand thing. I have convinced myself I can get **** near any decent amp to sound good, and a blind fold test would expose many of us who work so hard to convince ourselves that this or that is better. I have a room full of vintage amps and half the time I rock out on my rack mount POD! :lol:

Latest posts

Back