Pre Boogie Fender moded amp for sale

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesanomad100

Reaction score
I found this today have a look and tell us what you think,either these amps arent worth much even if Mr Smith did mod them or the owner doesnt really know what he has here and if so someone is gonna get a bargain

http://cgi.ebay.com/1970-Fender-Vibro-Champ-early-Mesa-Boogie-mod-50-watt_W0QQitemZ280104285476QQihZ018QQcategoryZ38074QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

check it out
Euan

I have some doubts here. How come it has thar mesa-marked small transformer ( choke ? ), if it is actually a Pre-mesa mod ?

Most Prune area Princeton boosts I have seen pictured has a Boogie logo too. But most importaint is that those mods also, as far as I know, included a change from a 10" speaker to a 12" (most often Altecs or JBL´s).

But who would know for shure ?

Stian
NORWAY

I had my doubts also,most princeton boogies had the boogie logo,if I was gonna buy it I would want confirmation it was a mesa mod from mesa boogie not just the guys word for it,it should really be goin for more cash as well seeing as these babies are rare

yeah thats definetly doubtful. of note though is that it is wired PTP. And i'm not sure if the old silverface fenders were PTP or PCB. second, and this is probably just an auction error, but who the hell is "frank smith". I know who randy smith is, but ive never met frank. and there is also NOTHING on the amp to denote that it is boogie modded. not on the back either. and werent the boogie modded fenders wired for like 100 watts not 50? I'm not sure about that though

As far as I know they were modded aka the "Super 60" MK1. The silverfaced Fenders were wired point to piont, so that is probably right.

I think the mods were bigger transformers (bassman), 6L6´s instead of 6V6´s, and another 12ax7 for another gain step in the pre-amp. Probably some inside components too, to make it all work properly...

The pictures of this amp shows several parts recognisable to those who has seen a MK series boogie from inside, and the Princeton boost is probably the inspiration here, but I guess there would be some evidence about its origins inside (marker pen) if it was really an original Randall Smith mod...?

Stian

Back