Power tubes givin up??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biddi4

Reaction score
When I owned my dual rec, the volume would be at bedroom level at around 8 o'clock and gig volume at 9:30 o'clock. Just figured it was normal.
Now, with my 2010 new to me Roadster, there is a much wider "sweep" for the volume. Bedroom level at 8:30, and gig volume just about noon.

Does this seem right?

It seems plenty loud at noon. Can't imagine needing more, just wondering if maybe the tubes are weak.

Kinda dissapointed that I didn't recieve any responses to this post, but what I just discovered more than makes up for it.

Thinking more and more about when I had my DR, I remembered something that I learned from Euro-Tubes about cleaning the tube sockets. So with the right pair of mine seeming dim, I thought maybe they weren't contacting well enough so I decided to give it a shot.

That was it!! The blanket has been removed!! While I can still hear the Roadster character, I now have the cut and edge I used to with my DR with out maxing the treble and presence. I couldn't be happier. Now, the right pair of power tubes is stilll just a tiny bit dimmer, but I think that could just be the way the tubes are made. One is a little taller and the fillament may not go as high to the top of the tube. The bottom end of the fillaments all seem the same brightness.

So, I suggest people consider just spraying a little contact cleaner on the tube pins and work them up and down once or twice. It will improve the contact for sure. Check on this page, it briefly describes the procedure. http://www.eurotubes.com/eurotubes-FAQ-Frequently-Asked-Questions-Tone-glow-microphonic-biasing.htm

Thanks for the link - have been wondering how to make sure the tubes are making good contact and cleaning the sockets.

Bob is the man I talk to when I have a question about my amps and tubes, his son Eddie is awesome too, they know their tubes, customer service is absolutely the best ANYWHERE. Eurotubes site is FULL of tips and info.

Latest posts

Back