Power amp for the Studio/Quad

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vilddyr72

Reaction score
OK, so I got a Studio (might get a Quad also - or swap my Studio for a Quad) and at the moment I use my Engl Blackmore as a power amp. Of course it works, but I would like to go all rackbased.

So, the big question (which has probably been asked a gazillion times before) is which power amps would be suited for the Studio or Quad? Of course it all comes down to preference, but I would like to hear your opinions.

I know this is a Mesa board, so I do expect recommendations on Mesas :wink: Anyway, the Mesa 50:50 (not 2:50) would be a great option, but I'm also quite tempted to try the VHT 2/50/2 (6L6 or EL34) or 2/90/2 (KT88). Any thoughts on these combinations?

the vht's are great i got a purple 2150 ....but going through the record out of the studio for the magic black box sound the input level is very different than with mesa amps...it doesnt get than loud but really sounds great ...if you a/b that to a 50/50 you can really tell the difference...even with the 2150 turned all the way up the sound is there, but not the gain to use in live venue's...even if you try changing the input line/instrument level
its not matched like with the boogie's....also you can make a 2150 sound like a mesa 50/50 by turning the present and depth knobs all the way down...

I use my Studio Pre with a VHT 2/50/2 channel A has JJ E34L's and I run that in class A mode and Channel B has JJ 6L6's and run that in class A/B mode. It's a great power amp and it also has presence and depth knobs to adjust to your liking.

I can't give you the It's as good/better than the Mesa amp because I've never played through one but if you find one for a good price jump on it!

I have a Quad and used it with a Mesa 50/50 for a long time and it really is a fantastic combination.... than I tried it with a Mesa Strategy 500 and was completely blown away and replaced the 50/50 with it.... and I have now used this same rig since 1993 without ANY problems! Imagine an amp rig serving you glitch free for 15 years???

The build on this gear is incredible and I really don't belive a similar rig could be made without being extremely expensive by today's standards! ....not to forget that there are those 24 (!!!) tubes cooking up to shape my tone also... :twisted:

Last I checked there was a Strategy 500 in the classifieds here if you are interested...

Cant go wrong with a 50/50.They were designed for each other.Mine sound great together.Versitility and power.They even look right together.

Latest posts

Back