Post your recto settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schecterc1lh

Reaction score
Basically, I have been messing with my recto, and i cant seem to get a tone i am happy with. It always seems too fizzy, and i know there are ways to make them sound good, so i would greatly appreciate it if you guys could post some settings to try out!

Thanks

schecterc1lh said:
Basically, I have been messing with my recto, and i cant seem to get a tone i am happy with. It always seems too fizzy, and i know there are ways to make them sound good, so i would greatly appreciate it if you guys could post some settings to try out!

Thanks

I feel the same way with my single rec. I can't seem to dial in a good tone for nothing.

Recto:
Channel 2 or 3
Silcon Diode
Bold Setting
Output 9
Master 11-12
Bass 11
Mid 9
Treble 3
Presence 1
Gain 3

Ibanez TS9:
Both top dials turned to 12 noon
middle dial turned to 3pm

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this thread isn't going to get you anywhere.

My settings work great for MY setup (guitar, pickups, cables, etc.), but I bet they will sound like **** in yours.

You need to look at your own specific signal path and make it work.

Maybe the pickups you have just don't work well with the rectifier? That's always the first place to look IMO.

Eric

ibanez4life SZ! said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this thread isn't going to get you anywhere.

My settings work great for MY setup (guitar, pickups, cables, etc.), but I bet they will sound like sh!t in yours.

You need to look at your own specific signal path and make it work.

Maybe the pickups you have just don't work well with the rectifier? That's always the first place to look IMO.

Eric

I think it could help get me in the ballpark. Either way, i am getting new pickups soon, but im not sure they are the problem. As of now, i am using a Anderson H3+, but i am getting a BareKnuckle Cold Sweat soon.

With a boost, I have got a pretty good sound, only 2 problems with it:

1) I just cant seem to get the clarity i want. There is too much gain, but when you turn the gain down, it isnt saturated enough, so i am still working on that.

2) It really screws my clean channel, and i dont want to have to hit 2 switches everytime i have to switch. I am trying to figure out if there is a channel switcher with a loop for the boost, that would be great!

You should be able to find a looper to do that for you. Honestly though, at the price points you're looking at, you might aswell just go MIDI (Behringer FCB and Voodoo Labs GCX on a budget)...it will take care of that problem, and open up A LOT for when you expand later.

The Anderson should be a good pickup for the recto. I hear it's what Mesa uses to test their amps...

Eric

ibanez4life SZ! said:
You should be able to find a looper to do that for you. Honestly though, at the price points you're looking at, you might aswell just go MIDI (Behringer FCB and Voodoo Labs GCX on a budget)...it will take care of that problem, and open up A LOT for when you expand later.

The Anderson should be a good pickup for the recto. I hear it's what Mesa uses to test their amps...

Eric
I dont like using midi at all. I actually own a FCB1010, but i am about to sell it. I just prefer to old school way.

Sadly, if you want the switching of multiple pieces all at once, there is no other way. You could have someone build you a custom box that switches between relays (for amp channel switching) and loops (for pedals) in any combination, but it would still be MIDI, and much messier cabling wise than the setup I described earlier.

I think the Avatar cab might be your problem. I never had much luck with it and my first Recto.

Eric

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Sadly, if you want the switching of multiple pieces all at once, there is no other way. You could have someone build you a custom box that switches between relays (for amp channel switching) and loops (for pedals) in any combination, but it would still be MIDI, and much messier cabling wise than the setup I described earlier.

I think the Avatar cab might be your problem. I never had much luck with it and my first Recto.

Eric
I dont mind doing effects switches with it, i just mainly want a switch that will bypass the boost when the channel is switched. What was different about your avatar than your other cabs? Out of the cabs i have played, I have really liked it quite a bit.

You'd need something like this...but again, a GCX is only about $60 more if you buy it used, and gives you a lot more options.

http://payne-labs.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22&Itemid=34

As for the Avatar Cab, it brought out the worst in the Vintage 30s IMO...it was fizzier and more shrill than all the other cabs I've had. Mesa traditional cabs are a big step up, and if you can swing it, Mills Acoustics cabs are the end all IMO.

Eric

ibanez4life SZ! said:
You'd need something like this...but again, a GCX is only about $60 more if you buy it used, and gives you a lot more options.

http://payne-labs.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22&Itemid=34

As for the Avatar Cab, it brought out the worst in the Vintage 30s IMO...it was fizzier and more shrill than all the other cabs I've had. Mesa traditional cabs are a big step up, and if you can swing it, Mills Acoustics cabs are the end all IMO.

Eric
See, i have played a Mills Afterburner with a diezel herbet and a diezel vh4, and it didnt blow me away. It sounded good, but not spectacular to me. I would like to get a mesa, but they are expensive and i am broke right now, due to college.

The mills cabs are a match made in Heaven for Mesa amps IMO. I can see it being different with Diezel.

Tweak away...a Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1 always works well for me in Rectifiers to smooth and balance the sound. That's a cheap thing to try...just might work for you.

Eric

ibanez4life SZ! said:
The mills cabs are a match made in Heaven for Mesa amps IMO. I can see it being different with Diezel.

Tweak away...a Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1 always works well for me in Rectifiers to smooth and balance the sound. That's a cheap thing to try...just might work for you.

Eric
Okay, i will give that a shot!

Do different cabinets affect the tone that much?
I have an avatar trad 4x12 V30's, and while I havent played through a mesa cab with my amp I think it sounds good...
I too would love a mesa cab, but they are $$$$$$$$$

Yes, they do.

You should look into the used market if you really want a Mesa cab

Both the Mesa and Mills cabs really broaden your overall sound. I found that with the right cab your dynamics and depth increase dramatically. Full is the word that comes to mind when thinking of Mills coupled with Mesa.

Latest posts

Back