possibly replacing my Mark IV with...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You 'll hate yourself if you sell off the MKIV .

And NEVER buy an amp during allergy season .

And , as a friendly suggestion , get into some microbrews .
That light beer is a road to , well ..

A lack of texture .

So there . :wink:

Maybe check out the Lonestar. I don't know if it can do the EL34-6L6 combo, but they have switching for 100 watts, 50 watts, and 10 watts.

They don't do nearly as much gain as the Mark IV, but they have really nice clean through medium gain lead tones.

Just a thought.

Oh I remember when 15 years ago I sold my blue stripe Mk lll 'cos there was a "better" amp on the go. Took me 15 years to find another one identical to what I sold. Cost me more than twice as much for the second one. Still want to sell your Mk lV ?

rabies said:
I'm finding that I use my Mark IV combo in class A most of the time (not currently in a band). class A is too compressed for generic rock and hard rock.

I hear you. This is the only thing that has kept me from really warming up to the amp. Even with the gain low, it's too compressed... Hell, even the clean channel is fairly compressed. I'm afraid mine is likely going on the market soon as well.

Hate to say it, but I think you should just get a JCM900. If that's the sound you want, nothing will be as pure as the real deal. And they aren't very expensive and are widely available used.

Just the other night I was at a show standing about 15 feet from a JCM900 w/matching standard 4x12 cab, and the guy had it dialed in just perfect. Sometimes I try for the Marshall tone out of the mkiv - class A w/EL34s, but it always ends up having that signature Mesa sound. That's not a bad thing, but its not the pure Marshall tone.

Pay what you have to to get a new Stiletto Deuce Stage II. I haven't regretted trading my MKIV it on it for a second. IMO the Stiletto rag dolls the MKIV big time when it comes to EL34 sounds. just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back