Possible Mark ii C+ bargain...........(help required)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GazPots

Reaction score
Is this a legit Mark II C+?

8423_1.JPG
843e_1.JPG
8481_1.JPG

84a4_1.JPG
84d0_1.JPG

Anyway you can tell form those pics (as bad as they are). Reason being is that i live like a few miles from its location and could arrange a cash swap if its not a scam etc. The guys asking for a cheque only in the auction which puts me off as i prefer cash in hand transactions.

Any pointers from the mark ii pro's around here?

Edit - i always love mesa heads as opposed to combos so can you actualy mount the combo in to head form and use a cab i already have?

Is it a tough task or relatively simple?

Thanks, Gaz

holy mother! you have found theeee rarest C+ out there! You're going to have to literally fight BoogieBabies to keep him off it, unless he doesn't care for a factory original C+.

Simul, EQ, Imbuya, Export Transformer=Rarest C+ you can find.

Are you ******** me? Its like just down the road!

Can you tell me how you know the things you mention in your post (for future reference)

Sorry for being a pain with my non mark ii knowledge.

Gaz

looks pretty good. I wouldnt worry about it if you are going to pick it up. just get mike B on the phone and double check the serial. it sounds like however, that it was a IIC that got the + mod later, rather than being a factory original C+. but it is still probably off the charts awesome

We got a number for Mike B at all?

I know a few of you guys on here have called him before and might have it handy?

Thanks, Gaz.

last time I talked to him I just called mesa's main number and asked for mike B

What's the serial number?

I cannot even tell of it has the pull deep faceplate. The pictures suck.

I'm surely not going to get this amp, so I would be glad to help.
If the serial number is within range, I would tell you to get off your arse and snag it.

To all of you American buyers, don't bother. There's a valid reason it has the export. :(

Well im awaiting an email for a serial number and better pics.

Fingers crossed. :)

edit - I remember someone linked to a site that had al the iiC+ features and pics showing you them in detail.

anyone remember what it was?

Gaz

looks like it has the pull deep faceplate. at least, there is something written above the master pot that looks like writing that could say pull deep.....

its just a matter of buying any mark II or III short head cab, and unscrew all the pieces from the combo (amp, reverb, fan) and put em in the new cab. takes like 20 minutes

Man, that's close enough to be the real deal. I have seen a few rare factory C+'s in the 123-400 range, but only a handful. If the final tech date was around 4 or 5 of 84, I would say it's a real IIC+. The tech date is written in pen or marker on the bottom of the chassis. If you get a chance to pull the chassis before you buy you should see the letters DRGX and a week code, like 1,2 or 3. This designates it as a IIC with Reverb, Graphic and Export Transformer. The week code will tell you if it falls within the first weeks of IIC+ production. If the week code is any higher than 1-3, it was probably a IIC upgraded. With the Pull Deep faceplate, there is less doubt that it is a C+, but possibly an early prototype or a conversion.

For reference, a 12600 dates to 6/84 and week 6 of production. From there, week 1 would probably be in 4/84. After researching these amps for a few years I would put the 12,500 area and first finalized production
IIC+ to late 3 or 4/84. IMO, I think that the full production stopped around 14,400 to 14,500 in 4 or 5/85. From there I really believe that the serial numbers were sequenced with the MK III's. I have never seen and consecutive IIC+'s over 14,500 and ****, I have been looking. I need more Black Dot owners to surface.

Is there much of a difference (if any) between a factory IIC+ and a modded IIC+?

thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.

Now i just need to wait and see if this guys the real deal.

Gaz

ok ive been doing some digging and trying to find other C's with this switch shown in my first post.

84d0_1.JPG

can someone explain what this is since im getting nowhere with my searching?

Thanks again.

Gaz

it's Simul-class. It allows you to run el34 tubes and 6l6 tubes at the same time. this is obviously something nice to have because you get the best characteristics of both tubes running at the same time. it really makes it smooth the amp out a lot.

for a more technical aspect of what simul class does and its benefits, you have to read randall smith's article on the mesa boogie website: "Class A, exposed and exlained." He does a great job and it's how I learned the more specific aspects of it.

btw, class A runs the tubes at minimal efficiency, so they burn a lot faster but you get great tone at a lower volume. it's like having a hot plate attenuator.

Back