Possible issue with FX button on footswitch?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiveman

Reaction score
So, I know about the intermittent issue with the EQ button on the footswitch, and sure enough, I have it, too. Switching the cable ends helps, but doesn't entirely eliminate the issue. Seems to work mostly, though.

However, I'm either doing something wrong, or my FX button on the footswitch is not working at all. Here's what I got:

- FX loop assign selector in the back of the amp is set to FTSW
- FX loop is active (not in hard bypass), and evidenced by OUTPUT and SOLO buttons working.
- An external effects processor is hooked up to the fx loop send/receive, and it works fine when the loop assign selector is on ALL ON or any of the individual channels (CH1, CH2, CH3).

But, when the selector is on FTSW, the external effects are not working (the raw signal is still there just fine). Pressing the footswitch FX button in ANY channel seems to only turn the FX button LED (on the footswitch) on/off, but it does not actually do anything on the amp itself (the LOOP led on the amp does not light up).

Like I said, I have seen the EQ button issue happen for me, too, but the FX button doesn't work at all.

Unless I'm missing something? :?: :?: :?:

Well I got the cable problem 6 months ago. I bent the pin like suggested in a other post that fixed it for good. Than a month ago I lost bass and everything sounded shrill. On FX hard bypass all was ok. Tube feeding the FX loop was ok, ... so I returned it the dealer. After inspection, it was diagnosed with a specific relay going microphonic. Apparently Mesa issued/know of this potential problem so they sent a replacement (2-week wait). Bad batch or underspec who knows. I'm picking it up this coming weekend so I'll know how good the fix was. Knock on wood.

No No! They did the work locally in the shop. I did not see the part but he said it was a relay so I assumed its some sort of solenoid type actuated switch but I admit I can't tell you if its 50cents or 50$ part.

OK, but it sounds like your problem was a bit different than mine. My loop circuit works fine and sounds fine. It's just that I can't control it on/off with the mesa footswitch, it seems.

Do you have a chance to try your amp with another footswitch?

You do have an 8 pin MIDI cable, not a 7 pin, right?

Hmmm, I'll have to check about how many pins are in the cable plug (the amp is at the drummer's house now). But what you're telling me is that it's possible that the cable is possibly a 7-pin, and it's really supposed to be 8-pin? I would assume it's he original one that came with the amp, and in that case Mesa wouldn't have put the wrong one in, would they?

I suppose if it IS an 8-pin, and it's still (obviously) having a problem, I can try and take i to the local dealer and ask if I can try it with their Mark V (they have one on the floor), or try their FTSW with my amp.

OK, so I had our drummer take a look at the cable at his place, and he says it's a 7-pin cable (no pin in the middle). I'll try to find out from the original owner if that's the original cable that came with the amp. If it is, do you guys think I can get Mesa to send me a new one, or would I have to buy it?

I have the same problem, Mark Five Combo foot switch FX doesn't work when Loop Assing is set to FT Sw , and my cable is the original and it's a 7 pin cable, no middle pin. Actually only the LED will react to the FX switch no matter the selection I make with the back rotary button. Good thing I use a Boss G-10 foot pedal, I can always turn the effect off with it. But still . . .

My footswitch cable is 8-pin and all the functions work.

If I was you I would call Mesa first thing Monday and have this sorted out. If the 7-pin is the wrong cable and it came with your amp I'm sure Mesa will make good for it and send you the correct cable.

Dom

I went to the store today and I had my cable replace with the 8 pin and everything is back to normal. Great !!
:wink:

I had the same issue... the store accidentally gave me the 7 pin cable from one of the Dual Rectifier models instead of the 8 pin Mark V cable. Fixed it by going back to the store and swapping it for the right one.

I talked to Mesa, and they acknowledged that I have a wrong cable, but since the amp was purchased almost a year ago (and by the original owner, not me), they said it really should have been sorted out back then, and that they can't do anything about it now. :-( Too bad, but it sort of makes sense, I guess.

Doesn't affect me too much at the moment, because I'm using an effects processor and a midi control switcher to control the amp, so the original footswitch and the 7-pin cable are not being used right now.

Latest posts

Back