Popping

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingster911

Reaction score
I just read someone else's post saying that there is a popping between ch 3 vintage and ch 4 modern on the RKII. What can we do? It also sometimes happens to me from ch 1 to ch4. i thought it was just my cable but what can be done?!

Is it sometimes or all of the time? When playing with the volume at practice level does the pop get louder? Is it less noticable? Does it pop when you manually switch channels from the panel?

I noticed "popping" when changing channels on a 3 channel dual rec with the master volume turned almost off. This is pretty disappointing coming from a company that has a great engineering department. I am sure Mesa will fix it but this should have been in the design as soon as they went from designing channel 1 and starting working on channel 2.

I do not know what they plan to do about it but I know one method is to quickly mute the amp while switching. This is what Peavey does on their recent channel switching tube amps and seems to work well. The peaveys also use relays instead of LDRs and such so maybe it is not as necessary in Mesa's design and might be contributed to something else.

Irregardless, contact Mesa so you hear their response straight from the horses mouth. Then please report back what you get, if anything at all, so others can have an idea of what to expect.

I noticed the pop on my 1 day old RK II and called Mesa. It is a know issue and they are working on it. Thw swicthing buss is different from the RK I which I also had and it was dead silent, but did not compare to the tone of the RK II. IMO, I think they screwed Ch. 2's Brit. This is too bright, unlike the RK I.

So far, it seems to be less prominent the longer you stay within one channel. Unlike the early 3 Channel DR's, the RK II is a keeper. I'm finding Ch. 3 likes the 4 6L6's very much. The Simul seems to be lacking definition and gain, but the 4 6L6's reminds me of the early 2 channel.

Hmm, would you recommend waiting to order one until they resolve the popping?

I think I've finally found an amp that has everything I want in one package, so I can hardly wait. But I'd rather wait that have to take it in for service later.

I still have to figure out if I'm going to get a combo or head. Leaning strongly towards combo...

All of the rectos from my experience do this initially when you turn them on. To corect, before you turn on the standby switch and after you turn on the tubes, cycle through the channels on the footswitch--this keeps it from popping-- :wink:

Not this baby. She's a popper, but like I mentioned, worth it.

The early 3 Channel Pig's in 2000 would not cycle through the pop either.
The later ones and the Road King version I does exactly as you stated. It goes away after the first run through.

Even after the startup routine, my roadster pops between 4 and 3. It really pops on the tuner out. Still love it though...

I have a 2001 Triple, and it pops unless I use Micah's routine - which I do anyway, to make sure my MIDI switching is working properly...

Micah said:
All of the rectos from my experience do this initially when you turn them on. To corect, before you turn on the standby switch and after you turn on the tubes, cycle through the channels on the footswitch--this keeps it from popping-- :wink:

My bandmate with the 3 channel triple rectifier does this as well. Takes care of the popping problems.

Old thread but here I go.

For me, the "cycling through the channels" routine removes the big pop that would otherwise come, but it still "pops" when changing channels. The popping noises are not loud, but still there.

Is this also normal with the 3channel Rectos?

My roadster pops only when i have the loop and the reverb engaged, if i turn the reverb off, it starts to pop.I had a triple before but never had that problem.

my roadster pops from going to 4 to 3 vintage mode, and sometimes it pops all the time.

mesa needs to fix this!!!

barneyc4 said:
my roadster pops from going to 4 to 3 vintage mode, and sometimes it pops all the time.

mesa needs to fix this!!!

For me it is all the channels, it's not loud or anything, but still is it normal with the 3channel ones. One guy once said that changing the first preamp tube took care of his popping noises. Any info on that?

if i keep mine on a low master vol setting when its first turned on it pops every once in a while. but after a few minutes it goes away. Your not supposed to play that low in the first place mesas are meant to be played to their full abilities :lol:

nitrous2400 said:
if i keep mine on a low master vol setting when its first turned on it pops every once in a while. but after a few minutes it goes away. Your not supposed to play that low in the first place mesas are meant to be played to their full abilities :lol:

+1

When it counts (gig or rehersal volume) my Roadster never pops if I do the "Standby Shuffle" first. At very low master volumes it will pop once and a while.

Dom

Back