Popping

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francric

Reaction score
Hey I've noticed that amp, roadster, is popping every once in a while. Even when I'm not playing it. I could have it resting on my lap because I'm watching something on tv or listening to someone and "pop". What do you guys think could be making it do this?

A. I would suspect a bad preamp tube maybe? Tap the glass with a pencil eraser and see if you can find the culprit.
B. Check cables and see if you can recreate the "pop"... Instrument and speaker.
C. Is it still under Warranty? Have a tech check it.

I assume it only does it when it's switched on ??!!! :D
It sounds like something nearby with a thermostat switching on and off to me.

Do you usually rest your Roadster on your lap when watching tv or talking to people?

But yeah, check your tubes, swap your instrument, try different cables, call Mesa, etc.

crockett said:
Do you usually rest your Roadster on your lap when watching tv or talking to people?

But yeah, check your tubes, swap your instrument, try different cables, call Mesa, etc.

HAHA... I am sure he meant his guitar, but when I read that, i was like... HUH? :mrgreen:

A buddy of mine is about to buy a recto from some guy but he said when he tried it out it made a thump sometimes going from standby to on (or switching channels? not sure).

I asked if it was a pop, but he said more like a thump. Anyone know what this means? I always thought it was normal at times when having the amp at a loud volume and turning it from standby to on.

Anyone?

crockett said:

HAHA, when I need to adjust some of the dials I'll put her on my lap...................

I saw a FAQ on Mesa that said popping is usually power tubes so I guess I'll start there. I wanted to swap out the 6L6's for EL34's anyway to check that out. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back