Popping noise when switching channels

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgstrat1

Reaction score
Hi,

Just started using a 5:25 Plus head and am very happy overall :D . MUCH quieter clean/crunch channel than my 2007 5:25 combo, I like the five-band much more than the contour control, and have already found the solo function useful (even though I use a volume pedal).

But, I am having an issue with a rather loud popping sound when I switch between channels that are set at different power settings. This only happens when either of the channels is set on the 5-watt setting. For example, when I have the clean/crunch channel set at 15 watts and the blues/burn channel set at 25 watts (or vice versa) I get no popping sound when I switch. But, moving between 5-watts on either channel and any other power setting on the other channel produces a relatively loud pop when I hit the channel button on the footswitch.

Is this normal? Is it a function of switching one of the EL-84s on or off? Sounds pretty similar to the pop (best I remember) on my 5:25 combo when I would go from 5 to 25 watts with the toggle switch on the back of the amp.

Any and all information and/or answers are welcome.

Thanks,

the same thing occured on some of the non plus versions when you switched the wattage from 25 to 5 and vice versa...probably it's the same case here with the difference that you switch the wattage at the same time when you switch channels...

I wouldn't see it as a problem cos probably you wont use 5w on one channel and 25w on the other in live applications...

This is normal behavior and is well-documented on the forum.

Basically, the circuit changes so drastically in the 5 watt mode that silent switching isn't possible. I think the manual even mentions it.

Really though, since 5 watts isn't really gig-worthy for most applications, it's overwhelmingly a nonissue for most. :)

Latest posts

Back