Pop sound when turning off. Is that okay?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommysboy

Reaction score
Reading some other posts on the power on/off topic and I see that some recommend just turning them both power and standby on or off at the same time.

When I do that I hear a little pop from the amp. It doesn't sound good for the amp, but maybe no big deal?

I don't get the little pop if I:
Turning on: 1) power on 2) wait a few seconds 3) standby off
Turning off: 1) standby on 2) wait a few seconds 3) power off

Thoughts?

Someone correct me but I believe the popping sounds are indicative of your tubes being on the decline. It is not harmful to the amp to have the popping but your tone might improve and your popping should disappear with new tubes.

I've heard that turning the amp off before having it on standby for at least a minute will strip something off of the inside of your power tubes eventually (I can't remember the exact term), and cause them to not last as long.

MrMason said:
I've heard that turning the amp off before having it on standby for at least a minute will strip something off of the inside of your power tubes eventually (I can't remember the exact term), and cause them to not last as long.

you have that backwards...

The whole idea of a "standby switch" is to allow the tubes to heat up before high voltage is applied. Inside every tube is a cathode that must be heated before it can be safely subjected to high voltage;otherwise, the cathode chemical coating will become stripped as a consequence. Nothing wears out tubes faster than ignoring the standby switch.

mommysboy

the pop you hear is normal. The only way around it is to put the amp in standby mode before you turn it off. Use the standby switch and wait a few seconds before you hit the power switch. This also allows the standby switch to be in the proper position when you power up. When you power up don't put the standby switch into the play mode until a few minutes have passed. This will allow all tubes to heat up properly before high voltage is applied.

ALWAYS power up in standby for 30 sec before turning off standby. This lets the powertubes warm up before you apply the high voltage. This will help you get the maximum life out of your power tubes.

Power off is fine to just "shut it off" (both at the same time). I will usually put the amp in standby for a few seconds then shut off the amp.

Dom

domct203 said:
ALWAYS power up in standby for 30 sec before turning off standby. This lets the powertubes warm up before you apply the high voltage. This will help you get the maximum life out of your power tubes.

Power off is fine to just "shut it off" (both at the same time). I will usually put the amp in standby for a few seconds then shut off the amp.

Dom

Okay, I'm doing the right thing, just going to add more time in standby.

Back