Pop on going to standby

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grc911

Reaction score
My 5:50 1X12 gives a "loud" pop when I turn to standby mode.
I can't remember this happening before (past 12 months).
Now does it every time.
Not as loud as the amp on volume but loud enough to make you wonder what is happening.
Is there a problem? Is it normal? What is the cause?
Any help/advice appreciated.

Greg.

Hey all,

I too have the same ¨pop¨ when coming out of or going into standby.
Is this ¨normal¨ and can it be fixed?? Annoying/embarrassing in a gig, let alone the fact that it is happening with my rig and makes me wonder if something is amiss.

Many/most/all users experience this?

JS

boogieman60 said:
Try turning down your master volume before and after going into standby mode.

+1
My 5:50 doesn't do it but I've had 5 other tube amps that did - non Mesa's.
And have played probly 50 other amps that did too.
Dont know why but seems pretty normal with tube amps :mrgreen:

Newysurfer said:
boogieman60 said:
Try turning down your master volume before and after going into standby mode.

+1
My 5:50 doesn't do it but I've had 5 other tube amps that did - non Mesa's.
And have played probly 50 other amps that did too.
Dont know why but seems pretty normal with tube amps :mrgreen:

Even at apartment/bedroom levels in 5w mode, master @ 1-2, I still get a pretty powerful "pop". Interesting (read: annoying) that it happens with some 5:50's and not with others. I'm no electrician or tube guru, but I'm guessing it's a buildup of electrical energy somewhere; could it be related to grounding?

S.

Thanks for that.
Makes me a bit anxious that I am "blowing something up" each time it happens.
Strange that I didn't notice it for the first 9 months but now it happens every time.
Will try the master volume trick - at least I won't be aware of any "surges"
Thanks all

Greg

Interesting - my 5:50 2x12 only pops if you turn the master power switch off before going into Standby. But the Standby switch is quiet going back and forth from standby to normal.

VCuomo said:
Interesting - my 5:50 2x12 only pops if you turn the master power switch off before going into Standby. But the Standby switch is quiet going back and forth from standby to normal.

Last week I inadvertently switched off by the master only and also had the pop - so I get it with either the standby or master. Any word from Mesa on the likely cause?

Sean

VCuomo said:

Same here (also with a 5:50 2x12)

I am new to Mesa Boogie and I must say I really like my Express 5:50 2x12.

Anyway, mine pops on the 5watt setting only. It does not do it on the other setting.

My old POS Peavey Valveking didn't do it at all ;)

My 5:50 started doing that all of the sudden too. I had it fixed under warranty. It's a bad capacitor or something like that. It's not normal, and your amp shouldn't be doing it.

Update: I just spoke with Chris at MB Tech Support. He said it was a power tube issue and to get replacements under warranty at my dealer. I will have them by this weekend and will post another update.

I have to say I am really impressed with Mesa Boogie across the board. Not only does this amp give me the tones I want but their customer service is outstanding. I had really bad experiences with Peavey and will never buy another Peavey product again.

I am Mesa Boogie for life now.

Update:
Have put brand new power tubes in.
No difference.
Still pops on going to standby.
Have tired changing preamp tubes. No difference.
Now just cringe a bit when going to standby. Not terribly loud but it's there.

Greg

I too experience this. It's been like this the day it came from the factory. It must be normal seeing so many of us have it? Mine is quite loud but amp works fine except there's now a him on channel two which I've only detected recently.

CosmicDebris said:
Anyway, mine pops on the 5watt setting only. It does not do it on the other setting.

+1...only on 5W setting, going to standby and coming out, 50W is quiet. My TOV head made the pop also...I guess I just got used to it. :wink:

Mine only does this if I shut the master down too quickly after entering standby mode. Also more likely to happen when playing in the 50W AB configuration.

Scott

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. The amp sounded so good I didn't want to take it in.

Anyway, turns out my Boss GT-6 was causing the problems. I had it running through the effects loop which was somehow causing the pop going into standby and a really bad hiss on channel two.

I took the GT-6 out of the loop and no more problems. It does not do any of the previously mentioned if I go guitar into GT-6 out and into the amp.

It is time I got rid of the GT-6 anyway and invested in better quipment. GAS is a powerful thing.

Latest posts

Back