Playing Mark V through PA

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunder100

Reaction score
Hi

I am new here and new to Mark V(mine is on the way)

I play mostly through the PA-so I am thinking of using the slave exit to feed the PA
Is this correct?

Still I need an 8Ohm speaker on the speakers exit-Correct again?

Master volume on the channels or after EQ are in above configuartion turn both the speakercab and the slave volume up and down?

Thanks

Roland

thunder100 said:
Hi

I am new here and new to Mark V(mine is on the way)

I play mostly through the PA-so I am thinking of using the slave exit to feed the PA
Is this correct?

Yes, but it's the raw sound off the power amplifier without the speakers having filtered it. Long story short is that it'll sound bad unless you have a speaker simulator between it and the PA. You're better off putting a mic on the cab unless you want to invest in a decent speaker sim.

Still I need an 8Ohm speaker on the speakers exit-Correct again?

Yes.

LPJunky said:
What are the GOOD and THE best in decent speaker sims to use between in this specific application?

The one's I've seen the most in pro rigs are the Palmer units. They're designed to be plugged right into the speaker output rather than the line out, but it gets you to the same destination. Plus it doubles as a load box, so you can eliminate the cab if you want to.

http://www.palmergear.com/recording_studio.shtml

Seeme I got it

So for PA it is better to go out of the FX loop through my Axe FA-->Axe power amp-->Axe Speaker si(IR)-->PA

Just then I need to get the right AXE Power amp sim(not so difficult) and the correct Vintage 30 IR (Redwirez)

Thanks anyway

Roland

thunder100 said:
Seeme I got it

So for PA it is better to go out of the FX loop through my Axe FA-->Axe power amp-->Axe Speaker si(IR)-->PA

Just then I need to get the right AXE Power amp sim(not so difficult) and the correct Vintage 30 IR (Redwirez)

Thanks anyway

Roland

The Line Out is located after the power amp on the Mark V, so that part's already done.

Line out -> Axe Speaker Sim -> PA

thunder100 said:
Is this correct?
Oh dont do that :shock: Just mic that bad boy up and rawk 8)

Find a Palmer, you won't be disappointed. I run the Mark V into what used to be called the PGA4 (I think) and it's fantastic. I run a Mackie wedge for me and another feed to the house. It sounds better for me and for the soundman than I've ever had with a cabinet.

Here's the link you need... I found it.

http://www.palmergear.com/recording_studio.shtml

Griff

If you make the soundman do it, it's even LESS work for you. :lol: (Besides - miking up the cab sounds way better anyway.)

Ask if you can mic up the cab, AND run a DI into the board. Mix the two together to get a wicked sound...

Hi

Thanks for all the advice-->as I am over the bigger pond will take time till the V arrives.I have tried now my buddy Mark IV and the Axe FX in the Effects loop works perfect-->should be same on the V

Roland

thunder100 said:
Seeme I got it

Thanks anyway

Roland

I have an Axe FX I use with the Electra Dyne for exactly what you are discussing and I was very please with the results. Don't use the the fx loop. I assume the mark V has a lineout. Use that. If it is the same as the Electra Dyne's, which I am sure it is, the lineout tone is after the power amp.

I run it like this

Electra Dyne Line out --> Axe Fx input one --> Patch that contains only a red wirez cab (don't know which one. I loaded the user IR's ages ago and don't remebmer what I setup where, and apparently you can't look it up)

The beauty of the line out is it comes after the power amp so you do not need the power amp sims on the Axe FX. I typically set the gain low and then crank the master to 3:00 and get tons of power amp distortion (with a hotplate of course).

I set the hotplate to Load when I want to silent record. The Hotplate also has a line out but I find the lineout on the ED sounds much better.

Also, sense you are using the Mark V I would suggest you try the Cali 4x12 cab simulator that comes with the Axe FX. I use that cab for my Mark sims as it sounds better on the Mark series for me then the Red Wirez cabs.

The Surprise Sound SE-5 seems to have good features. From the audio samples it sounds very good.
Same guy that makes the mini Rock Block amp.
I'm thinking of grabbing one for this exact purpose.

http://www.surprisesoundlab.com/ssl-22_009.htm

Latest posts

Back