Played the Mark V today.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnDNJ said:
nicoroy123 said:
phyrexia said:
yah sorry. when it's in 6l6 mode it's just like a IV. 34s are always biased coldish out there anyway. 'cept on your C+s Joey. :D

Sorry for the newb question here but you are confirming that we can use EL34 and 6L6 at the same time in the V as in the IV?
Any limitation in terms of power section settings ?

and where is that information? in the manual? hear it from a rep?

the site clearly states 4 6l6 or 4 el34...nowhere does it say 2 and 2.
if this is indeed the case ill ask the guys at my shop to throw 2 34's in it so
i can try it again. :)
..phyrexia said "straight from the horse's mouth"....and he knows his horses :)

yeah I asked my rep some time ago. i will send him another email to confirm but he is on the road right now so it may be midweek.

But the poweramp is no different than a IIC+ or IV simul-class poweramp. Same OT. Probably has an identical, if not very similar, bias circuit.

I wonder if IIC+ mode and IV mode have different poweramp part values in order to get closer to the feel of the two amps. I guess they're not too dissimilar to begin with.

I made a thread, check it out :D

JohnDNJ said:
The combo amp, literally right off the UPS truck and out of the box, we ran it through a 4 x 12 Recto Cab with v30's.

Here is all I am going to say. I went with the intention of either buying it outright or putting a deposit down on a head.
After playing it for about an hour and messing with all the modes and switches and eq sliders and dials and everything else on the amp:
I bought the last Mark IV short head they had in stock for a great deal including the 5 year warranty.

The Mark V is the TriAxis (which i also own, a V2.0 non phat from about 9 years ago with CC, and a 2:90 to go with it) of
the Mark series. Yes it does all the models..the 2c+, IV, I, LSC etc etc....BUT it does not "nail" any of them IMHO. The
IV I just picked up has 2 EL84's and 2 6L6's and it just SLAYS in the lead mode. Honestly, my TriAxis\2:90 setup gives me
plenty of other tonal options that I'm more then happy with to complement the ONE channel on the IV that IMO you just
cant get out of either the Tri or the Mark V.

Go and see for yourself. I'm sure most of you are going to say "who is this guy with one post commenting on the V". I have
lurked this board for a few years and never had a reason to post until now. I am a long time Mesa owner and I do love them
but honestly...and I had HIGH hopes for the V....it's not all it's hyped up to be.

I have to admit Johndnj, you had me worried, but I got my V today and I'm very pleased. Even with the 6l6 using this open c90 it can tear. Using my US jackson soloist with emg 81 in the bridge, I can get that tight rippin rhythum. Right now anyway, it's exactly what I hoped for. I find the only real difference b/t the iic+ and the iv is the iic+ has less gain and the lower end drops off a little bit (which makes it sound a little tighter but weaker in comparison-just my opinion though), otherwise I find them very similar sounding.

I love that crisp clean you can dial in channel 1 and wholly fatty for channel 2 with a les paul-fantastic! Of course, there will be compromises if a person wants to use all 3 channels in one song, but having thoughs depth knobs and a bass control in each channel definetly helps along with assigning the slider eq where you want.

Anyway, this is my first mark amp and never tried the other marks but I can see huge mic'in potential and some real tight tracking. Especially with 34's on a closed back. Very versitile amp. IMHO, well worth the wait. There should be no problem dialing in the metal. I haven't quite found my spot with a c-tuned axe yet, but it's in there, just need to bring it out.

JohnDNJ said:
Go and see for yourself. I'm sure most of you are going to say "who is this guy with one post commenting on the V". I have
lurked this board for a few years and never had a reason to post until now. I am a long time Mesa owner and I do love them
but honestly...and I had HIGH hopes for the V....it's not all it's hyped up to be.

I've been a Mesa owner a week now...and i've felt obligated to register and post because of this amp and the one's that I've played in store...hmmm

Anyone tried any petrucci tones? My Mark V is supposed to ship in the first week of june, i'll post some clips of my personal tone, and some petrucci if anyone wants. 8)

Johnnyboii said:
Anyone tried any petrucci tones? My Mark V is supposed to ship in the first week of june, i'll post some clips of my personal tone, and some petrucci if anyone wants. 8)

I want! Like you I am after that type lead tone. And this is why I am moving from a Single Recto to the Mark V so yes, please post a clip of what we can do in terms of lead.
We have discussed a lot about metal ryhtm but not much about the lead tone capabilities of the amp...

nicoroy123 said:
Johnnyboii said:

I want! Like you I am after that type lead tone. And this is why I am moving from a Single Recto to the Mark V so yes, please post a clip of what we can do in terms of lead.
We have discussed a lot about metal ryhtm but not much about the lead tone capabilities of the amp...

Will do :) I live out here in canada and from what i've heard here on the forum, my head should be here somewhere around the last week of my/first week of june. I'll get some clips up as fast as i can.

John.

Okay !

So I just came back from a music store and tried out the mark V combo, with a recto cab 4x12.

And all I have to say is: I don't understand the big fight everybody has on this forum about this amplifier.

I'd say this baby can do pretty much EVERYTHING.

Yes it can do metal, yes it can do blues, yes it can do the cleanest and the nicest of the cleans.

The channel 1 is absolutely fantastic, and with the master volume cranked up it's absolutely fantastic, very warm natural overdrive.

Channel 2 can get very dark, but it's not a problem. The EQ can solve it on a second. Mark 1 mode is the nicest in my opinion, the other two channels sounding a little too trebly/thin.

Channel 3, is BADASS, BRUTAL, DOMINATING, and smooth. It's very versatile. The EQ does a HUGE difference. All of the videos I heard on youtube do NOT do justice to this amp. The sounds dialed with this amplifier were simply fantastic, compared to the somewhat dull sounds from the videos. I can totally nail those MOP, LOG tones in a second. The knobs are VERY responsive, and I really like it.

I can't wait to get my head, and try it with a sonic maximiser.

Stop whining and GO TRY ONE !

mr_dj07 said:
Okay !

So I just came back from a music store and tried out the mark V combo, with a recto cab 4x12.

And all I have to say is: I don't understand the big fight everybody has on this forum about this amplifier.

I'd say this baby can do pretty much EVERYTHING.

Yes it can do metal, yes it can do blues, yes it can do the cleanest and the nicest of the cleans.

The channel 1 is absolutely fantastic, and with the master volume cranked up it's absolutely fantastic, very warm natural overdrive.

Channel 2 can get very dark, but it's not a problem. The EQ can solve it on a second. Mark 1 mode is the nicest in my opinion, the other two channels sounding a little too trebly/thin.

Channel 3, is BADASS, BRUTAL, DOMINATING, and smooth. It's very versatile. The EQ does a HUGE difference. All of the videos I heard on youtube do NOT do justice to this amp. The sounds dialed with this amplifier were simply fantastic, compared to the somewhat dull sounds from the videos. I can totally nail those MOP, LOG tones in a second. The knobs are VERY responsive, and I really like it.

I can't wait to get my head, and try it with a sonic maximiser.

Stop whining and GO TRY ONE !

Same here, I played a combo in a store while waiting for my head and I came to the exact same conclusion. This amp can do everything from metal to jazz.
When you play on it, you stop wondering if it can do this or that, you simply know....

BTW, you tried the one they have at Ital?

nicoroy123 said:

Yes I have !

I tried it with two guitars, my Charvel Model 5 1986, and a jackson with EMGs, an 81 in B and a 60 in the N.

With the EMG, I had brutal attack and distortion, really digging the emgs in the mesa, the clean channel sounds out of this wolrd, so much clarity.

mr_dj07 said:
nicoroy123 said:

Yes I have !

I tried it with two guitars, my Charvel Model 5 1986, and a jackson with EMGs, an 81 in B and a 60 in the N.

With the EMG, I had brutal attack and distortion, really digging the emgs in the mesa, the clean channel sounds out of this wolrd, so much clarity.

When I made my deposit for the head, Dino told me we were two...it seems I have found the other guy :wink:
So we should be among the very first in Montreal to get our amps...
Hold on tight...few weeks...

Latest posts

Back