Played a IV and V side-by-side today

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eudaimonia02912

Reaction score
I haven't played a Mark IV since getting the V. Since some people still claim the IV has a better lead channel, I'm going to check out the IV again and see what I think.

I wonder if I'll come home with the IV so I can try them side by side.

They had both a Mark IVb combo and a new Mark V combo at Guitar Center, and I got to play them side by side. I also plugged them into a Road King cab.

I was prepared to buy the IV and sell the V if I determined the IV was really better. But I didn't hear it, not after over an hour of play. Yeah, the IV allows you to tweak the lead channel a bit more. But whenever I got a sound I liked out of the IV, I could reproduce it almost exactly from the V. In fact, the V sounded a bit better--it was thicker on the high notes than the IV. The IV had a slightly more raw sound than the V, and the V was a bit more compressed. The V actually sounded like it had more available distortion. And the extreme mode on the V was clearly better than on the IV--it sounded more modern and heavier.

Of course, the V dominates the IV on channel 1 and especially channel 2.

So, I'm pretty satisfied that I should stick with the V.

eudaimonia02912 said:
They had both a Mark IVb combo and a new Mark V combo at Guitar Center, and I got to play them side by side. I also plugged them into a Road King cab.

I was prepared to buy the IV and sell the V if I determined the IV was really better. But I didn't hear it, not after over an hour of play. Yeah, the IV allows you to tweak the lead channel a bit more. But whenever I got a sound I liked out of the IV, I could reproduce it almost exactly from the V. In fact, the V sounded a bit better--it was thicker on the high notes than the IV. The IV had a slightly more raw sound than the V, and the V was a bit more compressed. The V actually sounded like it had more available distortion. And the extreme mode on the V was clearly better than on the IV--it sounded more modern and heavier.

I hope that you were impartial about it...cause i loved to hear that V is better than Iv kkkkkkkk

Metallicaseeker said:
eudaimonia02912 said:

I hope that you were impartial about it...cause i loved to hear that V is better than Iv kkkkkkkk

I try to be. If anything, I went in wanting the IV to be better, because I'm always in the mood to buy something new. Plus I figure I could free up more cash by selling the V and get some other fun toy, too. (I'd end up losing money by doing that, but not much.) So, if I had a bias, it was to favor the IV. But the IV didn't come through. The Mark V on IV-mode is just as good as the IV.

Just to be clear: Identical settings on the IV and V did not sound literally identical. But they sounded very close, and the V could be made to sound identical to the IV with slight adjustments.

eudaimonia02912 said:
Yeah, the IV allows you to tweak the lead channel a bit more.
A lot more. No drive knob stuck at 7.8. Push and pull pots. Simulclass or Class A. 6V6 option for vintage fender sound on tweed.
eudaimonia02912 said:
The IV had a slightly more raw sound than the V, and the V was a bit more compressed.
Those are important differences that some would not deem "small".
eudaimonia02912 said:
And the extreme mode on the V was clearly better than on the IV--it sounded more modern and heavier.
The IV doesn't have an extreme mode, although some may say it can be set up to sound extreme.
eudaimonia02912 said:
The Mark V on IV-mode is just as good as the IV.
Subjective. One is the real thing and one is the copy.The V is not a full IV designed circuit :mrgreen:

THTH said:
eudaimonia02912 said:

The IV doesn't have an extreme mode, although some may say it can be set up to sound extreme.

The IV doesn't have anything officially labeled "extreme mode", but the V's extreme mode is supposed to be a tweaked version of the IV's lead channel with the presence knob pushed. If you want to nitpick, fine, but you aren't introducing clarity where there was confusion.

As to the smallness of the differences, the IV was not much more raw than the V. The difference was slight. Etc.

Granted, these are just two amps. Maybe if I had tested two other amps, the difference would be more dramatic.

THTH said:
eudaimonia02912 said:
A lot more. No drive knob stuck at 7.8. Push and pull pots. Simulclass or Class A. 6V6 option for vintage fender sound on tweed.
eudaimonia02912 said:
The IV had a slightly more raw sound than the V, and the V was a bit more compressed.
eudaimonia02912 said:
And the extreme mode on the V was clearly better than on the IV--it sounded more modern and heavier.
eudaimonia02912 said:
The Mark V on IV-mode is just as good as the IV.
Subjective. One is the real thing and one is the copy.The V is not a full IV designed circuit :mrgreen:

haha! take it easy man, this is a MKV forum get use to hear this kind of things, if you like the MKIV that much then there is forum for that amp :wink:

rika_gd said:
haha! take it easy man, this is a MKV forum get use to hear this kind of things, if you like the MKIV that much then there is forum for that amp :wink:

No worries! 8)

I own both. A MkV 1x12 combo and a MkIV Widebody combo (1995).
I have done a side by side comparison as well at home. Following the recommended settings in the MkV manual for channel 3 settings (in MkIV mode and Extreme mode) to emulate the sounds of an actual MkIV amp in channel 3 with presence pulled and pushed were nearly identical. However, to achieve the similar sounds requires that you follow the instructions in the MkV manual (i.e. the gain setting of the V needs to be equivalent to the Drive setting of the IV.....assuming the gain of the IV is set to what Mesa deemed the sweet spot of about 7-3/4 to 8).

Ironically, many years ago....I gravitated to the gain setting of channel 3 in my MkIV to 7-3/4 to 8....so for me it was a matter of setting my MkV gain to match my MkIV drive (6-7) to obtain nearly identical sounds between the 2 amps in channel 3. With those same settings I found it true that MkIV mode of the V was nearly identical to MkIV with presence pulled out, and Extreme mode of the V was nearly identical to my MkIV amp with the presence pushed in with all other tone knobs set identically in both cases.

However, I find the additional tonal possibilities and useful features of the V to be far superior to my IV.....even in channel 3 and that is why I bought it. Channel 1 and 2 of the V are far superior to the IV's channel 1 and 2 without question....IMO.

Have I sold my MkIV? No, because I am not currently in a money crunch and it is still a great sounding amp.
Have I played my MkIV much since owning my V for over a year? No, because I find the V to be superior in every way!

I am not being biased in any way since I own both. I am just trying to provide my opinion and I own them both.

Yeah I know I'm swimming upstream here. :lol:

Funny how Mesa forgot all about Simulclass when they created the V. Reading the old manuals, they used to think it was the best thing ever created. :roll:

THTH said:
Funny how Mesa forgot all about Simulclass when they created the V. Reading the old manuals, they used to think it was the best thing ever created. :roll:
what are you talking about? it still has Simul Class...
Simul class is not about running two different tube types in parallel but THE WAY they're wired.
and even though there is no tube mixing you can set your MKV to full EL34 now, what you couldn't do on the MKIV.
not to mention the single-ended class A setup > this is really sweet

you do realize that the MKIV class A is not true class A? just pseudo class A where tubes are running hot with low input, providing some kind of hybrid between push/pull and class A. on the other hand, MKV's 10W Class A really IS Class A.
Depends what cuts it for you, i guess.
they're both awesome amplifiers and i do plan on owning one in the future. :)
i do miss the push/pull knob designs. man.. that was so sweet.

THTH said:

hey dude are you drunk?

I think the key is that it's all about what you're used to.

If you're used to the Mark V, and you really like your sound with the Mark V, it should be relatively easy to dial in that sound on the Mark IV and be satisfied.

However, if you're used to the Mark IV and you really like your sound with the Mark IV.... and getting that sound relies on using one of the options that the Mark V lacks... then you'll be one of those dudes who will always be feeling like something is missing on the Mark V. At which point you'll either be one of those dudes who prefers the IV (which is cool), or one of those dudes who chooses the V anyway based on other reasons (which is also cool).

At the end of the day it's like two dudes with 10 inch dicks fighting over who has the better dick... when if you think about it, if you already have a 10 inch dick you've really got nothing to complain about.

screamingdaisy said:
At the end of the day it's like two dudes with 10 inch dicks fighting over who has the better dick... when if you think about it, if you already have a 10 inch dick you've really got nothing to complain about.

haha! now this is a quote to remember :lol:

Ploki said:
and even though there is no tube mixing you can set your MKV to full EL34 now, what you couldn't do on the MKIV.
FALSE. I can set the IV to full EL34 just by using the class A switch. I can use all EL34 if it's in Class A and sometimes I like 6L6's mixing with EL34's using the simul switch!!! No power tube mixing = significant sound difference :!:

Ploki said:
you do realize that the MKIV class A is not true class A?
Not germane to the discussion, no one said Class A on the IV is real Class A.

Live in Channel 3 and want only the Mark IV sound, keep your IV. Want a lot more options, buy a V. I use IIC+ mode on my V. Though not as thick as IV, it has a wider, more open feel that I like. Channel 2 is end to end better on the V, and I doubt anyone that's played them both would argue that. I think channel 1 on the IV is underrated, and though I wouldn't kick it out of bed, it still doesn't have the complexity of the V's cleans.
You can talk about options all day long, the bottom line is that you can dial in your ideal Mark IV tone on the V and have plenty of more room to move. After that the IV is much louder--goes from quiet to holy-****-get-me-outta-hear loud--and a lot less intuitive to a new player. Both nice, but I really don't believe anyone would choose the IV over the V for even money.

THTH said:
FALSE. I can set the IV to full EL34 just by using the class A switch. I can use all EL34 if it's in Class A and sometimes I like 6L6's mixing with EL34's using the simul switch!!! No power tube mixing = significant sound difference :!:

Not germane to the discussion, no one said Class A on the IV is real Class A.
yes, but you cant use EL34's on full power!
but i do agree, 2xEL34+2x6L6 is a sweet option.
As for the 2nd statement, why not? because MKIV cant pull it off :lol: ?

THTH said:
rika_gd said:
hey dude are you drunk?
Not unless you're buying and sorry I am busy this weekend. :mrgreen:
:lol:

dont get me wrong, i wouldnt even be selling the quad preamp if i wasnt strapped for cash..
and i do wish to own a MKIV at some point. :)

Latest posts

Back