Pink Floyd fans help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfguitar

Reaction score
Hey guys I own a mesa roadking dual rectifier. I am trying to get the tone from the solo in Young Lust. I own several guitars including a strat, Boss blues driver, little big muff, phase 90, Boss chorus and a few more.

I am unsure on how to go about getting the right tone. I will experiment but I value your input!

Strat, bridge pickup (EMGs help), EL-34 sound, a bit of compression, not a ton of gain (the sound is in your fingers - Use The Force) slight boost to low mids, slight cut to highs, not a lot of bass, (in other words, not a scooped "modern" Recto sound, more like a Vox or Marshall), Boss chorus with a slow speed and medium to low intensity, even better with a delay run into it (not the chorus into the delay). Delay time should be very short, more like a doubler, for the stereo effect. Finally, a very wet large hall reverb.
Anyway, that's what I would do.
YMMV.

check out www.gilmourish.com
this is the ultimate reference on all things having to do with DG. enjoy!

my step toward repolicating that sound was to switch out pickups to lace sensors. i think both Gilmour and Clapton's tones that I like best involve those pickups on the guitar end - Clapton has a mid-boost too that the Mesa amps (Mark III especially) seem to emulate fine for me. no scoop on the EQ.

i dont know about that song but i get a pretty good dark side era gilmore sound using channel 2 fat with recto tubes on 50 watts on my roadster. i boost that with my ocd, gain on amp around 10, master 12, mids 2, treble 1, bass at 12, presence off to get the smooth top end... i have my tc m2000 running with a large hall reverb and a little chorus.... my timefactor set on the vintage delay setting, one delay at 250 the other at 500.... i use the coil tap on my mccarty (i know its not a fender but thats what i have) and set it up between the bridge and neck and i put the tone knob at about 6. and as someone else said its in the finger, especially when it comes to emulating the tone of his bends.... thats something your equipment cant do but plays a big part in what people hear as his signature tone.

Young Lust was a Tele. Set the amp to dial in the cleanest sound you can with no breakup, use your Strat (low output PU's work best). Set up your Muff with a lot of gain, then run your BOSS BD-2 directly after it as a boost for the Muff.

MrMarkIII said:
Delay time should be very short, more like a doubler, for the stereo effect.
I played this song in a cover band many yrs ago and for the solo i just used a delay as MrMarkIII has described. It sounded good and gave it the right feel. I'm sure using the rest of what he's mentioned would improve it further, but just the tight delay is 90% of what you need imo...

Latest posts

Back