Pickups for LP Std w/ Rectoverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shullmf

Reaction score
Recently got a Rectoverb combo. KILLER amp. But would like to further improve my tone by picking up a pair of more hi-gain-friendly pickups for my LP standard. The current tone I get w/ the BB Pros is pretty good. But a little on the harsh side (too much treble). Especially when increasing the gain and using the Modern channel of the amp. Lately, I've been playing everything from hard rock to metal. (Incubus, Alice in Chains, Lamb of God)

My setup doesn't get any simpler: LP straight into the ROV.

Any suggestions for hi-gain-friendly p-ups? Not necessarily high output. And I'm not interested in active p-ups.

Thanks.

The preamps on those ROV's are hot. You will get a bigger and fatter s ound with lower output pickups....that is a rule of thumb but there are exceptions.

In my Les Pauls I have the John Suhr Doug Aldrich set...high output bt open and clear...amazing pickups.

I have a set of Fralin Unbuckers that are waiting for a guitar to go in...unbalanced coils give them a fantastic tone but they are to noisy for super high gain.

I also use a homemade neck pickup, which is pretty much an Alnico II pro with a slightly hotter wind and an Alnico 5 magnet. Bridge on that guitar is a Bug-Sey Bucker...which is the name for a JB with an Alnico II Magnet....the A2 smooths out the upper mids and sweetens the pickup. Total keeper.

If you are looking at Dimarzios I suggest you look up their shady unethical business dealings in regards to double cream bobbins and stealing Kinman designs.....then decide if you want to support such an underhanded slimy company.

Alnico II and SH6 set from Duncan. Put the SH6 set in my PRS McCarty and they hit the spot with my Dual Rec. Had to lower the gain on my amp a smidge, but what ever. Nice upper mids and smooth high end.

Rocky said:
The preamps on those ROV's are hot. You will get a bigger and fatter s ound with lower output pickups....that is a rule of thumb but there are exceptions.

I'll agree with Rocky on this. The Rect-O-Verb is a great amp but eccentuates almost everything above 2K. I've tried just about everything through mine and find that the best tone without the annoying treble comes from one of my LP Historics using #1 and #2 Burstbuckers, followed by a 335 using Classic 57's. Bumble Bee's and CTS pots will help but it's more to do with the amp than your pickups, and higher gain pickups only makes the problem worse. Back off of the presence and treble and you may be able to dial in what you need. This is the very reason my ROV doesn't see much work outside the studio.

Rockfield SWC or FATASS pickups. I have these in my Michael Kellys and love them. They are coil tapped as well for a nice strat sound.

I put a set of 57 Classic plus pups in my 98 Les Paul DC and they sound sweet, powerful and have excellent sustain through all of my amps. What ever pups you get, make sure you adjust them carefully, it can make a world of difference with your tone.
Art

a lot of people change pickups without playing around with pickup height. Don't make that mistake.

Thanks for the feedback guys! 8)

I have messed with pickup height but did not have any favorable results.

Just wondering...instead of changing pickups, would throwing an EQ in the loop (and maybe cut some of the highs) of the Rectoverb possibly eliminate the harshness I was talking about? Anyone tried this?

Back