Petrucci's Rectifier Settings?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Does anyone know how JP sets up his Rectifiers, specifically which mode he uses? I suspect that he uses modern for rhythm and vintage for lead. I just can't imagine that he uses vintage for that heavy rhythm tone because mine seems pretty muddy. I'm looking for the tones on TOT and Octavarium.

Yeah, I just found those after the post. I tried out the settings and the vintage actually sounded pretty good, but it still sounded like there was a blanket over the speakers. Now my question is which does JP use? :?

here's some more. I hope you can squint your eyes!

iD5769065-2EE3-4DD4-B217-3928FA0F0B00.jpg

i6F6DECEF-A97E-44FE-80D8-CC01D52F5C5C.jpg

i1ABE46F3-AFA7-4EE1-B22D-8DC7C1A91409.jpg

Elpelotero said:
here's some more. I hope you can squint your eyes!

iD5769065-2EE3-4DD4-B217-3928FA0F0B00.jpg

i6F6DECEF-A97E-44FE-80D8-CC01D52F5C5C.jpg

i1ABE46F3-AFA7-4EE1-B22D-8DC7C1A91409.jpg

Well it appears he's using vintage on the first pic and modern on both channels 2 and 3 on the third pic. I think I've figured it out though. Listening carefully to his albums, you can tell when sometimes it's on modern (The Glass Prison) and when it's on vintage (the whole Suspended Animation album).

So when is John using Rectos and when is he using Mark IV's?
I have TOT, Sytematic Chaos, Six Dgrees and his solo album(Suspended Animation) and it all sounds pretty much like the same rig to me. :?:
I didn't know Rectos and Mark IV's sounded so similar?

He's using both all over the place. Almost all of his rhythm tracks are multitracked, so you can't say it's one or the other.

Had a look at his website http://www.johnpetrucci.com/gear.htm
Detailed listing of his live rig, looks very cool. There is pics of his settings as well for the Mark IV's and the lonestar. Pity it doesnt show much of his effect settings and so on.
If you look at mesa boogies website as well theres a cool vid where he goes through all the gear and explains everything. It sounds amazing

also noticed there is a framptone amp switcher with an extra jack coming from it. am so curious what that is for now!! :?

Thanks for posting the pics! squint squint teehee.

Can anyone make out the settings on the DR 3 channel?

Looks like for channel 2 & 3 modern its:

presence: noon
b: 11
m: 11
t: noon
gain: 1:30
channel master: noon

That look about right?

-dave

Forget Petrucci..I found this youtube video where the guitarist had a massive Rectifier tone (single Rec) Here is his settings.
On this video , the Single Rectifier is played on Modern mode.
Settings :
Gain 1 o'clock
Presence: 1 o'clock
Middle : 12 o'clock
Treble : 11 o'clock
Bass 12 o'clock.
Volume : 9 o 'clock
Master : 8 o'clock

Kiss My Axe said:
Does anyone know how JP sets up his Rectifiers, specifically which mode he uses? I suspect that he uses modern for rhythm and vintage for lead. I just can't imagine that he uses vintage for that heavy rhythm tone because mine seems pretty muddy. I'm looking for the tones on TOT and Octavarium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xiYTdTK7Gg
The above link is the actual video. Although it doesn't seem like drastic changes, having the presence up that high in modern mode was a shocker for me.

Elpelotero said:
Those are pretty standard settings ^^. The guitar, player, and room make up the rest.

I think I've figured out the trick to getting that heavy Petrucci rhythm tone I was looking for. Use modern, vintage is no good for rhythms. You have to set it to tube rectifier, the silicon diode sounds too plain and not thick enough. Run the presence really low and everything else around noon with the exception of the mids, which I think sound good around 10:30'ish. Man, I love this amp!

TheRazMeister said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xiYTdTK7Gg
The above link is the actual video. Although it doesn't seem like drastic changes, having the presence up that high in modern mode was a shocker for me.

Elpelotero said:
Those are pretty standard settings ^^. The guitar, player, and room make up the rest.

ahh yes. I've actually heard this guy's other stuff, not this vid tho. He gets some of the best lead tones I've heard out of a rectifier. I really think it's the combo of the guitar and his marshall cab. I've never heard any other recto sound that way.

What do you think this video is? -

http://www.ernieball.com/jp/main.html

Sounds more like vintage to me, but only because I've never got my modern channel sounding that dark.

I think he is using the Road Kings there. I detect an EL34 recto flavor. It's either that or the Mark4's, which are also dark amps.

Latest posts

Back