Petrucci & Mesa,1988

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
robredo_mattila said:
That's a really cool pic ! Is this the legendary basement underneath the Hair Salon that they practiced in? Very cool. I also want to know what stripe it was!
yes this is the basement underneath the beauty salon out in suffolk L.I.
my bass player actually still has one of JM's bass cabs from those days.
i'll find out about the MKIII stripe friday as i said i would and will post a couple of pic's as well.
Richb

Restless Rocks said:
How's about some High def pics of the elusive "Mark 5 prototype". Front and back etc. You'd sure get this forum stoked up!!!!!

Good idea!! :D

6L6C said:
Hi Rich
I just went to your MySpace page (really like what I heard BTW) but you look real familiar, but cant place you.
Probably crossed your path during the eighties trying some Boogies either at Sam Ash Huntington (when they carried Boogies) or maybe Focus II in Commack.

:wink:

John

I bought my first boogie at Focus II in Commack. a markIIC fully loaded. Wish I still had it. You guy's remember "THAT MUSIC STORE" in C.I. I pretty much lived there.

ok,so i asked john about his old MK III stripe and honestly he really doesn't remember which stripe he used when he had his MK III.
he did however point out to me about my guitar setup on my Silverburst BFR and yes he signed the back plate.
at the end i helped load his wifes Mesa amps into there car.
here is a shot of Rena Petrucci's Rig!
enjoy :D
Richb

husband and wife totally rockin!!!

trickyrick said:
6L6C said:
Hi Rich
I just went to your MySpace page (really like what I heard BTW) but you look real familiar, but cant place you.
Probably crossed your path during the eighties trying some Boogies either at Sam Ash Huntington (when they carried Boogies) or maybe Focus II in Commack.

John

I bought my first boogie at Focus II in Commack. a markIIC fully loaded. Wish I still had it. You guy's remember "THAT MUSIC STORE" in C.I. I pretty much lived there.
Hi Rick!

I don’t seem to recall a music store by that name in CI, do you remember what street it was on? I’m from Lindenhurst so allot of my time was spent at Music Land and I got to say it was not a huge store but they always had great stock, even if you needed something like a saddle piece off a Les Paul they would probably have it. Must off had a crystal ball in the back they always seem to have what you wanted, but there again allot of the stores did. The owner at the time “Mike” always gave me a real good price on trade in’s. Very fond memories of that store.

Focus II Commack is where I heard my very first Boogie in person. My friend was looking at some amps mainly Marshall and some other guy started playing a Boogie not sure if it was an II or an III. But soon as this guy hit one power chord I was like a deer in headlights it just got my attention so fast. And the though process was “oooh I like that, I like that ALLOT!” and years later and thousands of dollars the Mark’s are still my person favorite. Who knows the guy playing the Boogie could have been you Rick or Rich or even JP himself, who knows. :wink:

6L6C said:
trickyrick said:
6L6C said:
Hi Rich

John

Hi Rick!

The store was on wheeler rd. ( Rt111) on the corner of motor pkwy. The guy who owned it used to work at the music store at the south shore mall. It was something like bjurmark music. His name was Todd, a pretty big guy. Really friendly. I purchased a few guitars from him including my 82 G&L S-500. Got my first good guitar from Jamm Music 79 strat. Hung out at the Huntington Sam Ash too. Now I live in VA and there is a Sam Ash and Guitar Center that share the same parking lot. It is always so easy to get a deal from one or the other. I hope one doesn't put the other out of business. I still try and go to the smaller Mom and Pop places, but they just can't compete with pricing anymore. It's really too bad.

I don’t seem to recall a music store by that name in CI, do you remember what street it was on? I’m from Lindenhurst so allot of my time was spent at Music Land and I got to say it was not a huge store but they always had great stock, even if you needed something like a saddle piece off a Les Paul they would probably have it. Must off had a crystal ball in the back they always seem to have what you wanted, but there again allot of the stores did. The owner at the time “Mike” always gave me a real good price on trade in’s. Very fond memories of that store.

Focus II Commack is where I heard my very first Boogie in person. My friend was looking at some amps mainly Marshall and some other guy started playing a Boogie not sure if it was an II or an III. But soon as this guy hit one power chord I was like a deer in headlights it just got my attention so fast. And the though process was “oooh I like that, I like that ALLOT!” and years later and thousands of dollars the Mark’s are still my person favorite. Who knows the guy playing the Boogie could have been you Rick or Rich or even JP himself, who knows. :wink:

Hi guys. I don't really frequent this board, so not sure if anyone will see it, but... I AM the 'guy' from Wheeler Rd in CI. The name of the store was indeed That Music Store and I am Todd McCagg, former proprietor. That was a lifetime ago to be sure. Until recently, I was still in the guitar biz but took a breather after 40 years to go work for Apple Computers. I closed the store in 1983 and did some sales mangling, er, managing for the company that, at the time, owned Ampeg, Vantage Guitars, North Drums, Crumar keyboards, etc.. After that I was a pro audio rep in NY/NJ for QSC, Rane, Audio Technica, Emilar, and Kramer. In 1985 I moved to Chicago to rep for Kaman which, again: at the time, was Ovation, Takamine, etc. That lasted 3 years until the "corporate thing" got to me. I went independent and over the years have worked for Remo, Premier, ESP, Modulus Graphite, Matchless, SWR, G&L, BBE, Spector Bass, Jerry Jones Guitars, Hughes and Kettner, EMG, Fernandes, Orange, and others. A famous man once said: "the only consistent thing in the music business is CHANGE" so the lines kinda came and went. I am still very close friends with many of the folks that I worked with in the past, most notably would be Stuart Spector. He and I are both fly fishing addicts and get to fish together several times a year. The last of my repping was with Stuart and G&L for close to 10 years in the Baltimore DC area. Started with Apple in July of 2009.

NO, I don't still have any of those cool guitars that went through my hands like butter on a bald monkey. I do still play, record, do guitar work (frets, electronics, all the same old That Music Store stuff) and still a gear head. I have been married for 33 years to the same wonderful lady and I have a 19 year old son who is an amazing classical bassist and is currently at University studying for his Music Education degree.

My email address is [email protected] if any of you guys want to say hi. Recently ran into a former customer, George Cintron who is with a Led Zeplin thing with big orchestras (we saw him with Baltimore Symphony). One of my favorite customers (actually ALL of my customers were my favorites, I miss it now and then) and a great player enjoying a pretty exciting career. I hear he plays LI frequently in between his national stuff with the tours.

Gotta run. Best of everything to you all. Love IS the answer. John was right.

Latest posts

Back