Petrucci-ites, confirm or deny this pic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonicProvocateur

Reaction score
Found this lovely settings pic while scouring ye old interweb, attributed to Petrucci.

Of course, we all know our favorite guitar wizard uses IIC+'s, and IV's, but i've only seen him use them in the head configuration in his super rack. I've also never seen him use a mounted racks or a single upright, or a IIC+ side by side with a IV. The settings themselves seem pretty legit. I also dunno about the IIC+ with the tiny knobs. Maybe this was a Liquid Tension Experiment era photo, or a smaller rack he made?

Either way, lets hear some chatter. IIC+ owners, maybe try out the settings, all I have is a III and it's close to mine anyway.

johnpetruccisMK4MKIICsettings.jpg

Mark Fore and hazbin are the only two guys on here that I know that have those Mesa racks and IV's...is this a pic of one of your old rigs maybe that got circulated around the web?

MrMarkIII said:
Mark IV Output on "2" ?
Is this his bedroom rack? :lol:

Lol, I didn't notice that, but I did notice the Pull Deep on the IIC was pulled and Petrucci was notorious for complaining about the IIC+'s bass getting flubby at certain settings, so I was hesitant to think he would have it pulled for live. I myself use the pull deep, but I dunno...just another one of those quandries. Keep the comments coming!

That is a pic from his Scenes From A Memory Touring rack. JP had the IIC+, IV, Triaxis, and a Dual Recto Rackmount in that rig. It was two refrigerator sized racks.

Here ya go:

petrucci_rig.jpg

What's all this talk of this Petrucci guy? :roll:
:mrgreen:

~Nep~

Good pic, mystidream! Scenes from a Memory is my favorite album/tones! Having that upclose shot of the settings is gonna be way helpful to me at least.

Whats with the IIC+ tiny knobs though? :lol:

Aaaaaawesome! Do I spy groove tubes in the preamp of the Triax and Dual? Just curious... Never been a GT fan, always disregarded them in high gain, but I know the ADA MP-1 guys love em.

...and I didn't know that Petrucci was using a Dual Rec that early. I thought that it came in much later with Train of Thought. What songs did he use it on for Scenes from a Memory and Six Degrees?

Thanks,

Chip

chipaudette said:
...and I didn't know that Petrucci was using a Dual Rec that early. I thought that it came in much later with Train of Thought. What songs did he use it on for Scenes from a Memory and Six Degrees?

Thanks,

Chip

The heavy rhythm stuff. Scenes is a much better mix too, so its a little harder to pick out, but you can really hear it in "Home" and "Dance of Eternity. Fatal Tragedy is my favorite track by far, but its so well mixed its almost impossible for my ears to make out what amps he's using (combination of the Marks and Triaxis I guess). I know in an interview they said they outsourced the mastering to another studio which is why Scenes stands out so well against their other albums.

On Six Degrees I thought it was about the same thing, he had switched to the Road Kings almost exclusively, which is why the whole thing sounds so rediculously heavy. Like on "Glass Prison" and "The Test that Stumped Them All".

If he was using Dual Rec's on Six Degrees, my dying question is what amp did he use for the euphoric opening riff of About to Crash (Reprise)!?! Harmonically explosive!

I've never been able to get it to sound right when I play it. I figured it was just my fingers. If it is from a Dual Rec, I can blame the fact that I have the wrong gear. That would be so much more satisfying. ;)

Do you know what he used?

Chip

SonicProvocateur said:
chipaudette said:

Thanks,

Chip

The heavy rhythm stuff. Scenes is a much better mix too, so its a little harder to pick out, but you can really hear it in "Home" and "Dance of Eternity. Fatal Tragedy is my favorite track by far, but its so well mixed its almost impossible for my ears to make out what amps he's using (combination of the Marks and Triaxis I guess). I know in an interview they said they outsourced the mastering to another studio which is why Scenes stands out so well against their other albums.

On Six Degrees I thought it was about the same thing, he had switched to the Road Kings almost exclusively, which is why the whole thing sounds so rediculously heavy. Like on "Glass Prison" and "The Test that Stumped Them All".

"Fatal Tragedy" definitely sounds like Rec on a good portion of the rhythms and some of the leads, but also hearing those Marks swirling in and out of the backing leads. Great mix.

~Nep~

chipaudette said:
If he was using Dual Rec's on Six Degrees, my dying question is what amp did he use for the euphoric opening riff of About to Crash (Reprise)!?! Harmonically explosive!

I've never been able to get it to sound right when I play it. I figured it was just my fingers. If it is from a Dual Rec, I can blame the fact that I have the wrong gear. That would be so much more satisfying. ;)

Do you know what he used?

Chip

The only song that I know of that the Recto was used on was "The Glass Prison". JP has said in numerous interviews that the rest of the album was all Mark IIC+.

Latest posts

Back