petrucci and the mark v

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DudewithFr0

Reaction score
After seeing Dream theater last night i got to see Petrucci`s rig also. Hes using four Mark Vs. All set up completely different from one another. One thing i noticed was the mark V set up for clean had an upside down v-curve on the GEQ

Aww man, come on now, you gotta say more than that!

Alittle insight/review here! What was his tone like?

Have you seen DT before? If so, how would you compare his sound to previous shows?

Thanks!

sound was better live this year than it was last year. he was using mark IVs last year. Oh and he brought out the double-neck it was freakin cool.

he must be also using his new dimarzio pickups too (liquifire and crunch lab)??? thanks for sharing the info :D

I read that the four heads on top of the cabs are fake. It could explain the weird shape you saw on the EQ.
But he is really using 2 Mark V heads in stereo hidden somewhere, with a third one as backup.

Th guys who reported that on the other forum said that they saw the fake heads being removed by the techs at the end of the show, in Tampa. The fronts are identical, even with the lights, but when they saw the backs, there are no tubes, no transformers, no nothing. :)

Interesting...

nicoroy123 said:
I read that the four heads on top of the cabs are fake. It could explain the weird shape you saw on the EQ.
But he is really using 2 Mark V heads in stereo hidden somewhere, with a third one as backup.

Th guys who reported that on the other forum said that they saw the fake heads being removed by the techs at the end of the show, in Tampa. The fronts are identical, even with the lights, but when they saw the backs, there are no tubes, no transformers, no nothing. :)

Interesting...
well thats kinda wierd b/c when the guitar tech was makin sure everything worked he went and tweaked one of the heads on top of the cabs. idk i guess im gonna have to look into this more

Yeah on the Petrucci forum I posted about the Tampa show. I got really really close to the stage when their set was done and got to see them take stuff down and a side view of his rig that was behind all the fake heads/cabs. 2 of the cabs were mic'd so obviously those were being used. When the roadies and techs were removing the heads on the cabs you could clearly see there were no tubes or transformers in them but they did have led lights that were on. The rig in the back was 3 mark 5's and a bunch of rack gear. I wish I had a better view but I'm pretty sure I saw an eventide 7600 and 2 or 3 tc electronic 3000 or 4000's (both of those units look very similar). There was also a drawer with some pedals in the middle of it as well. He had a 2x12 recto cab as a monitor in front of his pedal board. Its not his rig but 2 very cool pics from that night.

5488_114137821827_513756827_2763-1.jpg

5488_114137786827_513756827_2763375.jpg

Nice! I like the Clouds on the cabs!

Got to hear some recent live stuff and hear what he has going on

katsumura78 said:
Yeah on the Petrucci forum I posted about the Tampa show. I got really really close to the stage when their set was done and got to see them take stuff down and a side view of his rig that was behind all the fake heads/cabs. 2 of the cabs were mic'd so obviously those were being used. When the roadies and techs were removing the heads on the cabs you could clearly see there were no tubes or transformers in them but they did have led lights that were on. The rig in the back was 3 mark 5's and a bunch of rack gear. I wish I had a better view but I'm pretty sure I saw an eventide 7600 and 2 or 3 tc electronic 3000 or 4000's (both of those units look very similar). There was also a drawer with some pedals in the middle of it as well. He had a 2x12 recto cab as a monitor in front of his pedal board. Its not his rig but 2 very cool pics from that night.

THIS IS FROM mESA bOOGIE tWITTER

http://twitpic.com/bdx55

MesaManBoogie said:
katsumura78 said:

THIS IS FROM mESA bOOGIE tWITTER

http://twitpic.com/bdx55

I was just about to post that lol. Anyways that gives us a small idea of what could be in there. It sounded amazing so the only question I really want answered is did he get his Mark 5's modded by mesa. If so I hope that mod becomes available to the rest of us and what did the mod do to the stock amp.

Dave

I was just about to post that lol. Anyways that gives us a small idea of what could be in there. It sounded amazing so the only question I really want answered is did he get his Mark 5's modded by mesa. If so I hope that mod becomes available to the rest of us and what did the mod do to the stock amp.

Dave[/quote]

agreed, I am very curious to know

Saw DT last night for the first time! It was freaking incredible. His tone is so amazing live. I am still in shock at how awesome they sounded. It was the tightest sounding band/mix I have ever heard live. What a show.

GAS for Mark V is through the roof now, but the new JP pickups I just bought that I am installing this weekend will have to be enough for now. I don't have the funds for a Mark V unfortunately...

katsumura78 said:

Nice pictures!!!!!!!!!! DTis going to be playing here in toronto on aug.14....would love to see petrucci's gear and playing of course :D

Just an FYI, Mesa does not mod their electronics or circuit boards for any band. If he "does" get his cabs modded, it would be by a third party. RS is highly against modding for specific artist, unless of course it's a prototype.

Saw them in Albany on August 4th. They were awesome as usual. I thought his live sound was much better this time around, but that is hardly saying it wasn't good when he was using Mark IV's. When I saw them in 2007, I was SO close I could hear his sound out of the back line, which was awesome. Not as fortunate this time around. Just think the combination of new guitars, new pickups, and new amps has John really locked in on what HE is looking for right now, which most of us agree is some very SICK live tone. My only knock on the show was that they played too many of their VERY long songs which kept the set list down to seven songs. They did Nightmare to Remember, Count of Tuscany, and Metropolis. These three songs account for like 50 minutes of the show by themselves! I still loved every minute obviously, those are great tunes, just would have liked to heard some more songs I guess.

smd24fan said:
Saw them in Albany on August 4th. They were awesome as usual. I thought his live sound was much better this time around, but that is hardly saying it wasn't good when he was using Mark IV's. When I saw them in 2007, I was SO close I could hear his sound out of the back line, which was awesome. Not as fortunate this time around. Just think the combination of new guitars, new pickups, and new amps has John really locked in on what HE is looking for right now, which most of us agree is some very SICK live tone. My only knock on the show was that they played too many of their VERY long songs which kept the set list down to seven songs. They did Nightmare to Remember, Count of Tuscany, and Metropolis. These three songs account for like 50 minutes of the show by themselves! I still loved every minute obviously, those are great tunes, just would have liked to heard some more songs I guess.

In Montreal August 12th, they have changed the set list a little bit.
They didn't played Metropolis but "As I am" and "The Dance of Eternity" instead.

Latest posts

Back