Pedals with Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyDee

Reaction score
Hey, I just want to to get an idea what pedals some fellow Mark V owners are using. Compressor, overdrive (not needed so much with a V , but I'm thinking more for channel 1) , delay , chorus etc.

Thanks
Tony

I run mine four-cabled to a G-System, but I also use just a TimeFactor in the loop when the mood strikes me.

My main set-up:

Guitar --> Morley Bad Horsey 2 (wah) --> Xotic BB Midboost Preamp (Overdrive) --> Amp
(in loop) --> MXR Stereo Chorus --> TC Electronic Nova Delay

I have some other pedals, but that's what I use most of the time. I've tried dozens and dozens of pedals with this amp.

Today I was considering buying a fuzz, as I missed having one. But when I got home, I remembered how channel 1 on tweed mode can do a convincing fuzz tone with the gain and master maxed and a little overdrive in front.

The beauty of the V IMHO is that the amp itself sounds so darn good, I don't want to go overboard with effects. Just let the amp tones themselves shine.

I have a Teese wah that I set up out front once in a blue moon. In the loop, I have a TC Flashback Delay and a TC Corona Chorus. The delay is on most of the time and set very mild, just for a subtle 3D effect. The chorus gets popped in at times, mostly on channel one clean, just to add a little shimmer to picked out chords.

You mentioned delay and chorus specifically in the original post - I can't say enough good things about the TC Toneprint stuff. GREAT little boxes for the money, and I've had a variety of delays and choruses (or is it "chori?") over the years.

The GAS part of me wants to go back to when I was a pedal hoarder (!) and start building an arsenal of cool boxes again but as little as I'm using the little I have now, it makes me think to myself "what's the point?"

eudaimonia02912 said:
My main set-up:

Guitar --> Morley Bad Horsey 2 (wah) --> Xotic BB Midboost Preamp (Overdrive) --> Amp
(in loop) --> MXR Stereo Chorus --> TC Electronic Nova Delay

I have some other pedals, but that's what I use most of the time. I've tried dozens and dozens of pedals with this amp.

Today I was considering buying a fuzz, as I missed having one. But when I got home, I remembered how channel 1 on tweed mode can do a convincing fuzz tone with the gain and master maxed and a little overdrive in front.

ultimate-octave.jpg

Planet Waves Tuner, TS-808, and MXR Carbon Copy in loop. That's it.
Might throw in Cry Baby every once in a while.

I mostly play proggy type metal and hard rock.

My chain is Les Paul Traditional > TC Elec Polytune > Zakk Wylde Wah > EVH Phase 90 > Black Label Chorus > Mark V (TC Nova Delay in loop)

Looking to add a TC Toneprint - Hall of Fame reverb for x-mas.

Also, looking into the ISP noise decimator.

Where would you put a TS9 tube screamer in the signal chain. Before the guitar hits the amp or would you put it in the loop. My current setup is guitar- amp - (In the effects loop) MXR smart gate - MXR carbon copy and then Zakk Wylde Black Label chorus. Any tips on different placements on the pedals would be much appreciated.

20111128_pedalboard.jpg

Boss PS-6 -> Catalinbread Pareidolia -> HBE Psilocybe -> Turbo Tuner -> Mark V
Loop: Catalinbread Semaphore -> Hardwire DL8

Just put the DL8 in the loop and I'm liking it.

For chorus, I'm currently using the PS-6's "Detune" for a subtle, "slightly sterile" chorus minus the modulation. I have a Hardwire CR-7 and a Small Clone for a more "shimmery" and "syrupy" (respectively), type of chorus.

I use a Carl Martin Compressor in front and a TC Modulator and Nove delay in the loop. I do not use the comp all the time. it seems to liquify the edge mode.
I have an OCDv4 I have been meaning to try just for fun.

shredhead72 said:

My chain is Les Paul Traditional > TC Elec Polytune > Zakk Wylde Wah > EVH Phase 90 > Black Label Chorus > Mark V (TC Nova Delay in loop)

Does your black label chorus change the sound when its in front not in the loop? Or do you have it wired so that the you just use the true bypass jack? Because I am finding that the black label chorus changes the sound when i plug it into the loop. I was just wondering if it has less of a affect if its out in front of the amp.

Firesniper said:
shredhead72 said:

Does your black label chorus change the sound when its in front not in the loop? Or do you have it wired so that the you just use the true bypass jack? Because I am finding that the black label chorus changes the sound when i plug it into the loop. I was just wondering if it has less of a affect if its out in front of the amp.

To be honest, I never tried it in the loop. I have it in front and I never altered the bypass setting. Using "as is" right from the box and it sounds great. I pretty much have all the knobs set to 12 o'clock (or close to)... it's a really subtle coloring for clean passages.

Back