Pedal Board design

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turumbar82 said:
I think being light weight and sturdy are keys to a good pedal board.

And flexibility to arrange different size boxes how you need them. I had to make my own because I couldn't find anything I liked to hold a small midi controller, volume, wah, talk box and a couple single and one double pedal. Power on the board also.

my favorite one to date, is the pedaltrain design.
i think, if you could make a BOTTOM plate, that could easily house ANY power supply, that'd be a cool addition.

i do not like built in power supplies.
once they go tits up, it sucks to have that board.

I'm using the industrial strength Velcro now but I've never been totally happy with it. Heavy pedals without much of a footprint are never that stable. I don't like the chain link either because I find myself changing things up on occasion. I guess if you used only one brand of pedal with the same hole pattern you could change things around easier without drilling a number of holes in your board. But who does that? The modular idea is nice if you can achieve it. There have been many times I didn't want to bring my entire board to a rehearsal or certain gigs.

This is what my board looks like now that I've been using my GT-10 With a doghouse you can put smaller pedals on top and larger ones on the lower levels while having a space for cables. Fits in a 26"x16" light weight flight case.

BossGT-10Setupsm.jpg

I like being able to run all the cable underneath the board, so space under the board is premium

mine is homemade, and similar in design to MJ Slaughter. Lower front level for fx, an "upper" rear level for fx, and under the upper rear level I have my wireless unit, power supplies, and muck of cords. I took it one step further and drilled holes in the side of my board and permanently mounted 1/4 plugs for amp input, send, and return. I then took three long guitar cables, made a snake out of them with plastic ties, and run it from the board to my input/send/return on my amp. It's like only having one cord to run and wrap. The board automatically turns on my wireless so I just strap up with my wireless and good to go. The problem is you're always changing pedals over time, so the board's life is limited.

gonzo said:
my favorite one to date, is the pedaltrain design.
i think, if you could make a BOTTOM plate, that could easily house ANY power supply, that'd be a cool addition.

i do not like built in power supplies.
once they go tits up, it sucks to have that board.

+1 for pedaltrain, once i got mine, i had one of those "how have i gone through life so far without it?" revelations.

jab said:
mine is homemade, and similar in design to MJ Slaughter. Lower front level for fx, an "upper" rear level for fx, and under the upper rear level I have my wireless unit, power supplies, and muck of cords. I took it one step further and drilled holes in the side of my board and permanently mounted 1/4 plugs for amp input, send, and return. I then took three long guitar cables, made a snake out of them with plastic ties, and run it from the board to my input/send/return on my amp. It's like only having one cord to run and wrap. The board automatically turns on my wireless so I just strap up with my wireless and good to go. The problem is you're always changing pedals over time, so the board's life is limited.

A snake is a good way to go. Especially if you have something going to your amps fx loop from your pedal board. I lucked out and have a friend who installs large A/V systems make me a 9 channel snake from "spare parts" so I can utilize my fx loop, amp control, run DC power to the board etc. Makes setup easy and the stage much neater.

Something I never knew existed before this project that are very handy are zip tie anchors. Great for keeping cables neat.

MJ Slaughter said:
I'm using the industrial strength Velcro now but I've never been totally happy with it. Heavy pedals without much of a footprint are never that stable. I don't like the chain link either because I find myself changing things up on occasion. I guess if you used only one brand of pedal with the same hole pattern you could change things around easier without drilling a number of holes in your board. But who does that? The modular idea is nice if you can achieve it. There have been many times I didn't want to bring my entire board to a rehearsal or certain gigs.

This is what my board looks like now that I've been using my GT-10 With a doghouse you can put smaller pedals on top and larger ones on the lower levels while having a space for cables. Fits in a 26"x16" light weight flight case.

BossGT-10Setupsm.jpg

That is a sweet board. I am looking to doing something similar. I would like an all-in-one that would also change the channels on my amp. I have a Road King II. Will this also switch the loops and solo features?

MesaMonster said:
That is a sweet board. I am looking to doing something similar. I would like an all-in-one that would also change the channels on my amp. I have a Road King II. Will this also switch the loops and solo features?

Unfortunately the GT has only one relay so you can flip between two channels. With a Road King you may want to just use your original controller or buy a device that can do all the switching you need via midi. The GT will send midi commands. Axxes makes one as well as some other companies who I can't remember at the moment.

I have always built my own pedalboards. My current one is of the Ikea "Gorm" design. It was cheap to make, it is sturdy, and it is light. Here are a few pics.

dsc04827-0.jpg

dsc04828-0.jpg

dsc04829-0.jpg

I like the spaces between the top slats so you can tuck all the cables in behind. I used a combination of velcro and bicycle chain links to secure the pedals. I can flip it upside down and nothing moves. All the cables are tied neatly underneath and the power bar cable is easily accessible on the one side. The red and blue cables underneath go to the effects loop and the black one goes to the "channel" input on the back of the amp head to switch the channel via the dual looper pedal (bottom left). I just coil these three cables and lay on top when transporting.

Here are the key features I see in a good pedalboard design:
-Good bang for the buck
-Sturdy
-Light
-Inclined towards you for easy access
-Integrated power supply (I used the One Spot on mine)
-Good cables (I use George L's exclusively - except when I ran out of connectors and had to used that generic one between the SD-1 and the gate)
-Affix the pedals securely
-A means of getting cables through to the underside to keep the top uncluttered. A slatted top works, or even holes.

MJ Slaughter said:
MesaMonster said:

Unfortunately the GT has only one relay so you can flip between two channels. With a Road King you may want to just use your original controller or buy a device that can do all the switching you need via midi. The GT will send midi commands. Axxes makes one as well as some other companies who I can't remember at the moment.

Would an RJM AmpGizmo be another?

MesaMonster said:
MJ Slaughter said:
MesaMonster said:

Would an RJM AmpGizmo be another?

Yes it would. That's the one I couldn't remember.

I don't use lots of pedalboard effects. all my delays/reverbs/flangers/chorus are in the rack. i have a phase 100 in the loop. I only use 6-8 pedals on my board, so i have one like this:
johnson%20fx-brd.jpg

just velcro the back, leave 'em plugged up and ready to go, and when it's time to move them i keep the adapter connected in the top and just put the adapter itself in the little pouch on the front of the cover. really lightweight, simple, and not boxy looking, and not multiple heights, neither of which I like.

Mo' %$@!#? stuff to buy!
http://www.stagetrixproducts.com/
Not me. I'm going with two BCB-60s. One for in-front, one for effects loop stuff.
K.I.S.S. If the pedal don't fit, I move on.
Of, course, I'll sell it all and start over in six months. Don't we all? :lol:

Latest posts

Back