patch cables for pedal board

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhguitar1

Reaction score
Does it really matter what kind of patch cables you use on your pedalboard? Are the ones that are $15 each that much worse than $25 ones? What I was actully looking for were ones to run from my pedals into my pedalboard. I have a SKB PS-45, so I need 2 @ 12 inch and 2 @ 18 inch.I was looking at lavacable.com and they have a big variety but I don't know which ones to buy.

Thanks

Nothing will ruin your bypassed tone more than junk patch cables, especially if you use non-buffered bypass or true bypass pedals.

When your effects are on, the difference in quality is much less noticeable.

Good patch cables don't have to be fancy or expensive. All but the cheapest seem to do a good job, though I've had some mid priced duds.

my response won't be popular but I've never noticed a difference spending a lot or a little on a cable on an effects board. I usually go middle of the road, not the cheapest not the greatest.

George L's Cables. Great sounding, resonably priced, and easy to make to any length.

The cable is about $1 a foot, 1/4 ends run about $14 a pair. No soldering needed, and easy to repair at a gig.

Dom

This is a good topic. Ive let go money down the trash thinking the more expensive a path cable the better, all the fancy advertising and crap. I bough the do it yourself kits and those were the worst of the gimmicks. Not relaible at all (Planet Waves, George Ls), they suck. Planet Waves uses a screw that ends up stripping and renderring the connection useless and the Gearge Ls go loose if you look at them the wrong way, or they just short out.

Dont be fooled by high priced patch cables, they are no better and sound no different tahn the cheap ones. Just dont get the very cheapest either.

Im currently usinh Hosa cables, cheap, and so far, very reliable.

I've been using Planet Wave cables for almost 2yrs with no problems. I gig regulaly and went on a 2 week tour so they really do get used alot.

As far as the previous post, I don't see how they can be stripping unless you tightened them too much or keep reusing the ends. Make the cable, tie it down to your board if you can, the then leave it alone.

Planet waves kit uses rather large right angle plugs. These take up a lot of real estate. Worse yet is that I have had the input jack of my Boss Ns-2 and my Maxon Tubes Screamer both come loose from using these cables.

Im no huge fan of George L's but once I finally tightened the crap out of them they are quite good from a customization standpoint. That being said, I bought a handfull of no name $2.00 leads from a Ma and Pa music store 10 years ago and I have never had one go bad and I have never noticed signal degradation either. Go figure......

domct203 said:
George L's Cables. Great sounding, resonably priced, and easy to make to any length.

The cable is about $1 a foot, 1/4 ends run about $14 a pair. No soldering needed, and easy to repair at a gig.

Dom

+1 on george l's cables! i had "store brand" low-end cables before and when replaced with george l's i saw a huge difference!

Give Bayou Audio Cables a call. I've been using them for some time now. Canare wire with Neutrik ends. Reasonable prices and great quality.

For your pedalboard definetly George L's, they sound good, and because you can cut them to fit they make for a very clean looking board.

cb101 said:
Give Bayou Audio Cables a call. I've been using them for some time now. Canare wire with Neutrik ends. Reasonable prices and great quality.

Me too with Canare! been using GS6 for years with Switchcraft ends, i have tried other ends but there is no real difference or sometimes the Switchcraft just sound better.

Have recently tried Planet Waves and I like them, they do sound a little different than my GS6/Switchcraft but not better or worse just a hair different
and i could not tell the difference unless I was sitting in the room A/Bing the cables.

Latest posts

Back