Pat O'Brien fans?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neptical

Reaction score
There's gotta be some Pat O'Brien fans here in the Rectifer forum?? Every time I hear his tone, man...pure straight up brutal rectifier. Probably one of the heaviest sounds I've heard from the rectifier line. Any fans around here?

~Nep~

absolutly!!! sick tone and scarry dexterity!!
PatOBrien.jpg

PatOBrien1.jpg

Freakin' sick *** rig, too. Look at those old blackface triple Recs, man. That is some serious tone right there.

From what I heard, the the Decimator, Furman EQ, and the Crybaby in the rack are just there--not even hooked up. And the second Triple Rec isn't either, just there as a backup. Basically just an ISP Decimator pedal out front of the amp along with a Boss MT-2 to push and grind the Recs. He likes the 'less is more' approach. However, one of my favorite tones of his was the GoS album--but the newer tones of Evisceration Plague are pretty tight as well.

~Nep~

Neptical said:
Freakin' sick *** rig, too. Look at those old blackface triple Recs, man. That is some serious tone right there.

From what I heard, the the Decimator, Furman EQ, and the Crybaby in the rack are just there--not even hooked up. And the second Triple Rec isn't either, just there as a backup. Basically just an ISP Decimator pedal out front of the amp along with a Boss MT-2 to push and grind the Recs. He likes the 'less is more' approach. However, one of my favorite tones of his was the GoS album--but the newer tones of Evisceration Plague are pretty tight as well.

~Nep~
yeah from reading posts from a dude from whitechapel he doesn`t use the furman or the decimator pro, just the keeley modded MT-2 and a decimator pedal. the other head is a back up. i just picked up the Global Evisceration dvd today! i`m in cannibal heaven.

lailer75 said:
yeah from reading posts from a dude from whitechapel he doesn`t use the furman or the decimator pro, just the keeley modded MT-2 and a decimator pedal. the other head is a back up. i just picked up the Global Evisceration dvd today! i`m in cannibal heaven.

Smokin' dvd, brotha. Keep playin' it and eventually it will eviscerate itself. :mrgreen:

~Nep~

+1

He does have some of the most brutal recto tone. He and Dino Cazares are the main reasons I bought my dual recto.

Those Blackface 2Ch Rectos... Pure Metal!
Metal zone in front of the amp, never imagine that such a hi-gain pedal would work so well (OD pedals are more common - I use one). Is he using the pedal with the settings back down or the MT-2 cranked with a low profile on the amp? Is the metal zone mod the Twilight Zone mod?
In studio the heavy production makes any sound brutal, but in live enviroment there's no excuses!

His Boss Metalzone is actually a Keeley mod believe it or not.
He's just using it to boost and drive the Recs hard-- but not cranking settings either.
His live tone is just as good as the studio. Real thick, punchy and grindy.

~Nep~

Neptical said:
His Boss Metalzone is actually a Keeley mod believe it or not.
He's just using it to boost and drive the Recs hard-- but not cranking settings either.
His live tone is just as good as the studio. Real thick, punchy and grindy.

~Nep~
Thanks Nep, always learning!

It appears to me that the cabs in the photo are the traditional and not the standard (oversized) model (sometimes I think I've should have bought the tradidional model - more metal, less numetal, more focus and tight and not so big dark round sound). I think this version help thight things up a bit. Have heard too that one of is cabs runs Black Label Society Electro-Voice speakers. Always EMG 81 pickups and 0,13 - 0,56 strings. I'm not a cannibal corpse fan but good tone is always good tone!

No problem, man! 8)

I was never a huge fan, but I got some of the material on my ipod. Definitely good pure Rectifier tone indeed. Fun to crank that **** while driving through the hood. :lol:

~Nep~

Something I don't get is the Metal zone...
With a rectifier!???!?!!?!?!? no need for a metal zone...
just adds noise... and gets less clear

the mt-2 works awesome as an od. plus you have the e.q.! level up, gain off, and add a touch of mid, then sweep to find the sweet spot. i spoke with to pat on myspace years ago, he gave me his recto settings, they were pretty scooped with the gain dimed :twisted:

Rkorn said:
Something I don't get is the Metal zone...
With a rectifier!???!?!!?!?!? no need for a metal zone...
just adds noise... and gets less clear

You'd be surprised, man. It's a Keeley modded Metal Zone...not stock.

Straight from the Keeley MT-2 mod manual:

"The Boss MT-2 is Keeley Electronics’ heaviest, most powerful, hard hitting pedal. The many modifications make this beast a hi-fi monster. Every component changed or added is of the highest quality. Metal film resistors are used for a low noise floor: something absolutely required for a high gain pedal. You will notice your new Keeley modded MT-2 has a lower noise level than the stock pedal! Metal film and poly capacitors are used in the coupling sections to provide the true midrange and high frequency transparency your guitar tone needs while increasing the bass response of the pedal. It goes without saying that the note definition has been improved. The final result is a pedal that provides more gain and volume while losing no note definition. Here you have the perfect pedal for a Marshall Stack or Triple Rectified punch. The MT-2 pedal has been modified to have asymmetrical clipping, which gives you 2nd order harmonic distortion. On top of this lending a very musical sound, it becomes at very high saturation levels almost an octave type effect."

The Mode Switch---Your unit now has a MODE SWITCH. This is the highest quality mini-toggle switch available. There are three modes of operation.
SWITCH LEFT -- This is the “stock” MT-2 sound. But you will easily notice that the pedal has more presence, a more • powerful and true sounding midrange and a tighter bass response.
SWITCH RIGHT -- This is the Triple Diode Mode--our favorite. The Triple Diode Mode gives you the natural tube • sound that makes that to-die-for molten guitar sound. It’s Sick, Fat and more has way more Muscle than the stock MT-2 mode.
SWITCH CENTER -- This is the Ultra Tube Mode. Beware! You will blow speakers with this mode! No, we’re serious!! • You must be aware that in this mode, the MT-2 mod has a super powerful output. This mode should be used with a 4X12 cabinet that can handle the power and ultra low bass this pedal can deliver. There’s even more tube simulation and 2nd order harmonics to give you a sound available in no other pedal.

I use to play through some of the Standard cabs. The sound is pretty big, I dug 'em.

~Nep~

rocknroll9225 said:
boss4 said:
It appears to me that the cabs in the photo are the traditional and not the standard (oversized) model
the cabs in the pic are definitely oversized recto cabs
Ok, I'm not shure, but I own a recto oversized cab and it looks quite a bit larger than these ones... that or Pat is very big fellow! But from the near rack and is guitar they look smaller than a standard cab. Either way both cab models rules.

Funny that I just noticed that alot of the new-ish videos he uses the chrome face heads alot. I wonder what that's all about. Even appearing in the Global Evisceration dvd. Maybe he retired the blackfaces and are now under lock-n-key.

~Nep~

in thier vids he uses whatever the newest models are, just rental equipment. for the global dvd i believe he used dummy heads on top, because i saw that tour and he had no heads on the cabs but had his road case off to the side. overseas he is at the mercy of whatever the venue can provide.

Latest posts

Back