Owner of Non EQ MKIIC+, Need help w/ settings for old MXR EQ

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mreeve25

Reaction score
I have a 60 watt 1984 Blond Tolex Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+. It is non-simulclass, and does not have the graphic eq.

I also have an old MXR (Block Logo, blue box) 10 band graphic eq.

I am hoping to get some suggestions on how to set up the 10 band eq for scooped mids, (metallica-ish).

Any help would be great!!!

Thanks,
Michael

Here's the notes from Puppets & Justice in case you haven't seen them: http://web.mac.com/fwrproduktion/FWR_Produktion/Notes_1.html

I'd suggest copying the pics to your desktop in case the link goes bad, it's happened before where the notes where up and then taken down, anyway...

Even tho you have a 10 band EQ, don't get carried away and use all 10 if you don't need to. EQ can be great but it can also kill your tone if not dialed in carefully...

My suggestion would be to start with:

31.25 - Middle Line
62.5 - Slight boost, just above Middle line, like +2
125 - Middle Line
250 - Slight cut, just bellow center line like -1
500 - Middle Line
1K - Cut, in between -6 & -12, so try -9
2K - Slight cut, just below Center Line, like -2
4K - Slight boost, like +5
8K - Slight boost, like +2
16K - Middle Line

Use those pics a reference to see their EQ curve also remember they also used a Paramtric EQ in the FX loop in addition to the on board 5 band Boogie EQ.

Try the above settings with your MXR EQ in the FX loop with the volume & gain dials set at 0 on the slidders.

Try these on your C+:

Volume 1: 9.5
Treble: 7 PULLED
Bass: 2
Middle: 4
Master Volume: 1.5 for low volumes or 3-4 (if you can crank it) PULLED
Lead Drive: 8 at low or 7 if your playing louder... PULLED
Lead Master: 2.5 or 3-4 (if you can crank it)
Presence: 4.5 or 2-3 if your using V30's

Try those and then pull the Lead Master and see if that helps and/or pull the Volume and see what you think...

Good luck lemme know what you think.

I'm assuming your MXR 10 band have the same frequencies as this one: http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/DUNLOP+EQ+10+BANDES.JPG?

Back