Overdriving channel 2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moth

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get an overdrive on channel 2 without having to put a stompbox out front? Basically I want channel two overdriven but want to be able to just use the boogie channel switcher. I really detest having to hit pedals when I'm switching and I've been considering going to an axe-fx and selling my V, but I'm afraid I'll regret it.

Get a G System & put your OD pedal in one of the loops & you can set it up to engage the channel & the loop in one button press!
Only just got my Mark V & still playing with it but surely you must be able to dial in an OD tone in channel 2 on the amp? :?

To me an OD sound should be thick and full with a nice sweet Bass frequncey. Try these settings in channel 2 for an OD type sound:

45 Watts
Full Power Also try these setting with 10 Watts, and Variac
Tube Rectifier
Crunch
Gain: 1:00 to 2:30
Master:10:15
Presence: 11:00
Treble:1:00
Mid:1:30
Bass: 11:00
EQ Sliders: On a scale of 1 to 10:
80Hz: 10
240: 8
750: 5
2200: 8
6600: 6
Output: 11:00

These settings may vary depending on your guitar and pickups. I am using these with a Les Paul 60's style Les Paul Classic with a JB in the bridge.

Good luck!

bucketbot said:
Get a G System & put your OD pedal in one of the loops & you can set it up to engage the channel & the loop in one button press!
Only just got my Mark V & still playing with it but surely you must be able to dial in an OD tone in channel 2 on the amp? :?

But then the OD would come after the amp right?

moth said:
bucketbot said:

But then the OD would come after the amp right?

Not if you connect it 4CM.

Wow, I don't know what that means. Do you have any links on that? I have a g-major 2 and an axe-fx system so I'm basically trying to decide if I'm going to get rid of the V or the axe-fx. If can I can get channel two overdriven by just switching with the mesa pedal or my FCB1010 then I'll likely keep the V. I'm just itching to get rid of the V.... until I play it....

moth said:
Wow, I don't know what that means. Do you have any links on that? I have a g-major 2 and an axe-fx system so I'm basically trying to decide if I'm going to get rid of the V or the axe-fx. If can I can get channel two overdriven by just switching with the mesa pedal or my FCB1010 then I'll likely keep the V. I'm just itching to get rid of the V.... until I play it....

Once again as I said before firstly I find it hard to believe that you cannot get a good OD tone from the amp alone. :?
Did you try the settings suggested above?
Interesting to hear that you have the Axe FX which some people seem to think is the Holy Grail that will replace all tube amps forever.
Personally I have never tried one but have experimented with almost all other types of amp modelling & they just don’t do it for me, I always find myself back with tube amps & now have 3! :mrgreen:

However I do understand what you mean about the OD, I still sometimes use my modded Boss SD-1 in one of the loops of my G System just because I love the sound it gives me even though I am also using the MarkV & 2 Carvin X100B heads. Also it works really well when used to push the amp. :)

Back to the question; 4 cable method basically means that you connect to your amp with 4 cables, guitar into processor input :arrow: processor loop out into amp input :arrow: amp loop send back to processor loop input :arrow: processor loop output into amp loop return.
The idea being that the time based effects (Delay/Rev/Mod) in your processor end up after the preamp & the rest (Comp/Drive/Wah/Filter) before the preamp where they generally work best.
Of course to achieve this you need a processor which has loops, there are many.......some examples being Line 6 M13, G System, Boss GT10.
I now use the G System but I have also tried this with the M13 & that has the facility to put Drive effects before the Pre amp but personally I think that the Line 6 Drives suck so I got rid of it. However the delays etc are good but it works more like a set of stomp boxes rather than having patches.

Apart from using the SD-1 as mentioned I get all my drive from my amps. I also recently bought a TC Nova Drive but to be honest have not quite made up my mind about it. :roll:
The good thing about it is it interfaces with the G system & has the ability to save 18 different dist or OD (or combination of both) settings that can be called up with any G System preset instantly with one button press. Reason I am still open on it is no matter how hard I try I can’t get it to sound as good as my modded SD-1! :D

If you want some info on the G system there is a mine of it on the TC forum.

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/forum/7/gsystem/

Also suggest you download & study a copy of this before you invest in one as setting up the G system with your amp can be a little tricky & some people think it degrades your tone considerably. That however has not been my experience of it & I love the switching capabilities it offers.
Of course using any effects unit...or in fact putting anything in your signal chain apart from your guitar & a good quality cable will always have some effect on your tone but we all love effects & it’s all about compromise to get the sound you want.
This of course is one reason why your Mark V has the ability to hard bypass the loop all together. Less circuitry usually ,means better tone!!

http://www.guitaraffair.com/pdfs/g-system-configuration-and-troubleshooting-guide.pdf

One more thing......re your amp...don’t sell it!!!! :shock:
As you say it seems like a good idea until you play it! If you sell it I guarantee you will regret it! :cry:
Hope that helps! :) :)

Since you have a Axe Fx you can hook it up using the four cable method. The Axe Fx has some pretty good overdrive and distortion pedals built into it. I am using my Axe Fx and Mark V that way and it is the best of both worlds with one of the best amps on the planet combined with the best effects processor on the market today. I have never had to use any overdrive pedals on channel 2 to get some grit since its really already therein the amp. I can use the Edge mode to get a nice overdriven tone without too much distortion. Actually I keep the gain below 12:00 on all the modes. Its all there, just a matter of investing enough time.

Try the gain knob. I have a 12at7 in V2 to reduce the channel two gain, and it can still get plenty of drive-even with a Tele with low-output Nocasters in it.

Yes. The gain knob.

And overdrive is a relative term. Do you mean overdrive as in an overdrive pedal in front of a clean amp? Or full on distortion?
Either way, channel 2 is the place whether its Edge, Crunch or massive gain from Mark 1 mode.

Sit down with your amp and manual. Start simple and go from there. Go channel by channel. Once you get it, it's easy.

@Bucketbot Man, don't get me wrong the axe-fx is very cool. However, I think Ownhammer has far better cab IR's and the Le Poulin stuff, imho, is equal to the axe-fx heads. If it's not equal than it's at least VERY VERY close. So with Le Poulin Legion and like the Ownhammer Mesa you can get a phenomenally close to Petrucci sound for.. what like 7 bucks, as opposed to the Axe-fx which is 1800. So I might end up selling the axe-fx. That's just my opinion and mind you I have not tried getting a powered amp and giving the axe-fx a go live.

Back