overdrive pedal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the best analogy would be Mesa's most popular amplifiers - Marks and Rectifiers. I assume that most people on here know what they both sound like, and have probably even played both. Mark amps are much more compressed than Rectos.

audiotaxi said:
nice, I am going to have to try 18v...
Just out of interest, how would you describe "compressed"? in terms of amp tone. similar to having a compressor in the line?

Yeah pretty much - the CB on 9v has a slightly compressed tone but on 18v it's more open and significantly better to my ears :mrgreen:

hmm I am really digging this little thing.. it definitely is not an 'overdrive' but as mentioned by Pete in the vid, more of a 'stack' (which due to its name is pretty selfexplanatory).. I am quite blown away as this might be the only distortion/OD stomp by Boss which i might like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg5HLdYBskM

K-Roll said:
hmm I am really digging this little thing.. it definitely is not an 'overdrive' but as mentioned by Pete in the vid, more of a 'stack' (which due to its name is pretty selfexplanatory).. I am quite blown away as this might be the only distortion/OD stomp by Boss which i might like.

yea, I nearly bought that based on that demo. Very cool pedal, just the crunchbox called at me louder! :D

audiotaxi said:
K-Roll said:

yea, I nearly bought that based on that demo. Very cool pedal, just the crunchbox called at me louder! :D

Well this pedal is quite different to the Crunchbox based on the Youtube clip - which is never a good idea anyway hehehe
I'd watch out for 2 things with all Boss OD pedals though.
a) poor quality buffers usually tone suck your amp and
b) loud buzzy humm when you crank the gain.
Mr Thorn didn't report on either issue.

Crunchbox is true bypass & low noise. Plus probably cheaper than the Boss too :mrgreen:

The more I play this amp the more I find that I like playing straight into the amp. There are just some great tones to be dialed in. However, I just got a Wampler Pinnacle and that is wonderful with this amp....not needed but another awesome flavor to be tasted 8)

I read through 4 pages of this thread and I didn't see a mention of the TS808. I use this pedal with the OCD. Both of these do it all. You need a few layers of dirt if you play covers in an oldies band like me. I use the blues channel then the other two pedals.

I just received a Lovepedal Eternity Burst ($100 coupon sale!) and really like it with my Express. Even though it's supposedly related to the Tube Screamer it has a completely different, more transparent type of sound. It works effectively as a clean boost, a treble boost and an OD pedal. It's capable of low to moderate gain sounds. It does a good imitation of my tweed Deluxe clone when it's plugged into the Express.

The Wampler Plexidrive I find useful for filling that "Clean into crunchy" gap in the Express channel switching scheme. The Catalinbread FN5 also enables tweed-like tones in 50 W mode at any volume. And the Pinnacle II scratches that itch when too much is never enough... (WARNING: NOT a wife-friendly device, send her off on a quilting trip with a smile in your evil heart of darkness.)

Overall, I find the Plexidrive is the most musical and useful of the three for what I like to play, but I like 'em all, with choice depending often on what kind of day I've just had at work. :wink:

Latest posts

Back