overdrive pedal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My current fav OD / Distortion setup:
Clean Channel > Crunch > Burn for Amp Distortion
Clean Channel > OCD for moderate overdrive > Whiteface ProCo RAT (reissue) for that heavy Distortion.
But it will probable change next week.

Greg

ifailedshapes said:
I swear this question gets asked more than anything else. :) In my opinion, trust your ears. Go to a music store with your amp and try a few. With that being said, Fulltone pedals are pretty stellar. Also, the TC Electronic Nova Drive is killer, but you'll have a very hard time find one in person to try out.

TC also has their new "Dark Matter" distortion coming out in a week and it's supposed to be great. Just a heads-up...

I currently use the "Clean" channel in my 5:50 212 with:
1. VOX Satchurator
2. Keeley TS9DX Flexi 4x2
3. Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe Reissue
4. Soon-to-be TC Dark Matter

Each with their own voicing, etc. I tend to like the Satchurator NOT set to maximum settings...nice creamy distortion.

Zzzzzzzzzz.... you can tell all these OD pedals have solid state in them. They sound somewhat decent because you're running it through a nice tube amp. If you don't believe me, try running your OD through a solid state amp cranked up really loud & see what kind of headache you get after a half hour. I haven't heard one OD that doesn't sound somewhat muddy & then comes the endless subjective discussion about which one gets you back closest to a tube sound. If you like OD pedals & not the tube pre-amp distortion, go buy yourself a Fender Pro Reverb BF reissue & save yourself $500+ to spend on more germanium/mosfet transistor floor radios. Or spend the money on a single channel boutique tube amp that will be a lot more reliable than a circuit board switching amp with a lot of relays which will eventually fail. I have a Fender Deluxe 5E3 I built myself & I have to use pedals with a 1957 design.

I bought a 5:50 because the distortion sounds *good*. I don't need no steenking pedals!!!

mtodd6 said:
Zzzzzzzzzz.... you can tell all these OD pedals have solid state in them. They sound somewhat decent because you're running it through a nice tube amp. If you don't believe me, try running your OD through a solid state amp cranked up really loud & see what kind of headache you get after a half hour. I haven't heard one OD that doesn't sound somewhat muddy & then comes the endless subjective discussion about which one gets you back closest to a tube sound. If you like OD pedals & not the tube pre-amp distortion, go buy yourself a Fender Pro Reverb BF reissue & save yourself $500+ to spend on more germanium/mosfet transistor floor radios. Or spend the money on a single channel boutique tube amp that will be a lot more reliable than a circuit board switching amp with a lot of relays which will eventually fail. I have a Fender Deluxe 5E3 I built myself & I have to use pedals with a 1957 design.

I bought a 5:50 because the distortion sounds *good*. I don't need no steenking pedals!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I think the idea is to have more available tones at one time. Especially if you do covers.
We don't play many covers, maybe 10 in all.
I do like having tons of tones at my feet or fingertips though.

If you don't understand trig, maybe you should go back to algebra!

I do agree with you on the fact that no pedal will sound exactly like the real thing. Most guys are just trying to get as close as they can though.

mtodd6 said:

mtodd6 - that's a bit harsh I reckon hehehehehe.
Sure I agree with you that tube amp distortion sounds the best but distortion pedals still have an important place for tube amp users imo.

For starters most tube amps, like every Fender for example, don't even have distortion.
So ALL your Fender amp players are using distortion pedals, same with every Vox player - and the list goes on.

Plus - my 5:50 won't do Marshall JCM800, 900 distortion tones. It does great modern Mesa 6L6 tones but nothing Marshall.
As an old JCM800 owner I still love that cranked JCM crunch.
And the best way of getting those cranked Marshall crunch tones is a Crunchbox distortion pedal thru the 5:50's clean channel.
It's not quite as good as a real JCM800 but it's almost there - and an excellent option to have on tap for $100

Newysurfer said:
....It's not quite as good as a real JCM800 but it's almost there - and an excellent option to have on tap for $100

Agree 100%. Hell, even a guy like Satriani is using the clean channels on his amps and pedals for his distortion sounds. I saw a video w/his guitar tech who ran through his rig and was somewhat surprised to see that

Fulltone!! Very nice!

Xotic BB Preamp

Modded TS9DX (mine is Analogman)

Allums dual stack BD2

CMATAMODS just about anything from Chad.

Best tone is with no pedals, just crank the amp and let the guitar + speakers form a romantic bond. It will S-I-N-G!

Newysurfer said:
mtodd6 said:

Sure I agree with you that tube amp distortion sounds the best but distortion pedals still have an important place for tube amp users imo.

For starters most tube amps, like every Fender for example, don't even have distortion.
So ALL your Fender amp players are using distortion pedals, same with every Vox player - and the list goes on.

Plus - my 5:50 won't do Marshall JCM800, 900 distortion tones. It does great modern Mesa 6L6 tones but nothing Marshall.
And the best way of getting those cranked Marshall crunch tones is a Crunchbox distortion pedal thru the 5:50's clean channel.
It's not quite as good as a real JCM800 but it's almost there - and an excellent option to have on tap for $100

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be harsh. As for the Fender or other single channel workhorse, yep OD is great & necessary if you want different sounds. However, I'm really amused to hear some guy with a switching Mesa amp & they apparently give up on getting good tube preamp overdrive sounds & play through pedals all night & leave the amp on clean channel!!! I just think about players like Eric Johnson & last video I saw on his board, I didn't see any OD but of course lots of A/B switching to go in & out of Fenders/Marshals.

I inherited two Boss pedals with a bundled purchase -- a metal-ish MT-2 & a Power Stack. They are probably DSP inside & not really analog OD pedals like the Fulltones, or boutiquies. It is interesting to play the Power Stack through the clean, switch it out & see how the crunch/burn modeling sounds different from the 5:50 crunch & burn. I seem to be going back to basics with my playing & weeding out more & more stuff. I bought the Mesa because I've been using a Roland VG-88 forever through single channel all tube amps, with the option of a straight bypass, because it's very convenient/versatile & I wanted something totally organic with maybe some delay in the loop. The Express reverb is to-die-for. I find the Express clean is so pristine, I find myself forgoing even the delay unless I want to accentuate some tremelo works. I'm still learning how to get the right overdrive sounds, especially when I put down the PRS & use the strat.

I guess I was surprised to find that Mesa players use so many OD pedals. I expected to find some real purists when I recently joined this forum. Or maybe I'm behind the times & these pedals are really, really good. The Fulltones are interesting, because the mosfet is trying to simulate the cascading gain stages in an amp. They sound good and not sure my ear could hear pick out the tube vs mosfet. I'm just wondering if we'll go back to a hybrid design: Fulltone front end on the amp with a power tube stage on the back. Essentially, that's what you are doing & using your clean preamp for equalization.

I'm enjoying my Timmy and Ecstasy pedals. I run my 5:50 on the clean and blues channels. The Timmy is set to sound like my 5:50 gain, the Ecstasy has a smoother sound. The Ecstasy stacked into the Timmy gives me a good burn channel without switching to burn. Gives me 7 very good tones out of a two channel amp. Really more than 7, the contour is footswitchable.

mtodd6 said:

The problem for me with that is I like the clean channel the best of all the channels. And I like the crunch channel for an over driven sound. I know I could use the blues channel for a clean channel, but I simply don't like it as well as the clean channel. So, I use OD pedals. I am currently using a Barber 1/2 gainer and a Suhr Riot for low and higher gain sounds and am quite pleased with that sound. If only the crunch channel was on the second channel...

mtodd6 said:
I inherited two Boss pedals with a bundled purchase -- a metal-ish MT-2 & a Power Stack. They are probably DSP inside & not really analog OD pedals like the Fulltones, or boutiquies. It is interesting to play the Power Stack through the clean, switch it out & see how the crunch/burn modeling sounds different from the 5:50 crunch & burn. I seem to be going back to basics with my playing & weeding out more & more stuff. I bought the Mesa because I've been using a Roland VG-88 forever through single channel all tube amps, with the option of a straight bypass, because it's very convenient/versatile & I wanted something totally organic with maybe some delay in the loop. The Express reverb is to-die-for. I find the Express clean is so pristine, I find myself forgoing even the delay unless I want to accentuate some tremelo works. I'm still learning how to get the right overdrive sounds, especially when I put down the PRS & use the strat.

I guess I was surprised to find that Mesa players use so many OD pedals. I expected to find some real purists when I recently joined this forum. Or maybe I'm behind the times & these pedals are really, really good. The Fulltones are interesting, because the mosfet is trying to simulate the cascading gain stages in an amp. They sound good and not sure my ear could hear pick out the tube vs mosfet. I'm just wondering if we'll go back to a hybrid design: Fulltone front end on the amp with a power tube stage on the back. Essentially, that's what you are doing & using your clean preamp for equalization.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a good OD pedal and you'll see a pretty big difference between that and something like the MT-2.

richpjr said:
Do yourself a favor and pick up a good OD pedal and you'll see a pretty big difference between that and something like the MT-2.

I've played with analog OD pedals & plan to get one for my Fender Deluxe at some point, but the Power Stack is good enough for the limited amount of distortion I need. But I don't think I've heard an OD pedal, analog or modeling, which can touch the 5:50 burn channel when you learn how to coax out a good sound.

mtodd6 said:
I've played with analog OD pedals & plan to get one for my Fender Deluxe at some point, but the Power Stack is good enough for the limited amount of distortion I need. But I don't think I've heard an OD pedal, analog or modeling, which can touch the 5:50 burn channel when you learn how to coax out a good sound.

Realizing that other gear affects sound, I haven't fully mastered coaxing a great sound out of my 5:50 burn channel. Out of curiosity, what settings are you using on it?

I found that when I get my blues channel set the way I like it, I don't need to readjust anything when I switch to burn.

mtodd6 said:
Newysurfer said:
mtodd6 said:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be harsh. As for the Fender or other single channel workhorse, yep OD is great & necessary if you want different sounds. However, I'm really amused to hear some guy with a switching Mesa amp & they apparently give up on getting good tube preamp overdrive sounds & play through pedals all night & leave the amp on clean channel!!! I just think about players like Eric Johnson & last video I saw on his board, I didn't see any OD but of course lots of A/B switching to go in & out of Fenders/Marshals.

It's just a matter of using some OD pedals to get different tones the 5:50 won't do is all.
There's lots of great analog OD & distortion pedals around but Boss don't make any imo - turned both on & off they're plastic sounding Tone suckers imo.
And I'm not a fan of MFX distortion either - anything except the Axe-FX I don't care for.

And there's heaps of big name Pros using distortion pedals - not just Satriani.
Foo Fighters have been using a Rat distortion pedal thru the Lonestar Classic clean channel for years - etc etc
Many more examples of this kind of thing.

I also occasionally use a Durham Crazy Horse Fuzz pedal to get Neil Young distortion tones.
Nothing else will get you close.
Plus if I wanna play anything 70's, 80's classic british rock the 5:50 burn channel is not quite right for it.
So I turn on the Crunchbox and it's nailed.
I also have an OCD which is excellent but I keep it in a box & pull it out for special things cause I prefer the Crunchbox.
I use the 5:50's burn channel for anything that needs modern Mesa style distortion :mrgreen:

I used my Express 5:25 at practice today. Made me wish I had a Wampler Triple Wreck for super heavy tones!
The Express sounds great, but needs more thump for a couple of songs that we do.
Not that it doesn't have enough distortion. It just gets a bit mushy at band volume with the gain above 1:00 or so.

ifailedshapes said:
vbf said:
The amp's crunch channel is really great. But we play such a wide variety of songs back to back I just don't have time to change from clean to crunch and tweak. So I leave the amp in clean mode and use dirt pedals.

You can use the Blues mode in Channel 2 as an alternate clean, thereby allowing you to use Channel 1 Crunch. I got my amp used, and this is how it was setup when I got it.

I get better OD tone with the Channel 1 Crunch as well.
All of my overdrives ( Les Luis, Wampler Paisley and FD 2) sound great with the Express.

Newysurfer, I got a crunchbox recently, and love it. I guess you're running it through the clean channel? Given that the treble pot on the amp seriously affects the signal going through the channel, what kind of settings are you using with the amp and also the crunchbox for that nice classic rock crunch? :D

audiotaxi said:
Newysurfer, I got a crunchbox recently, and love it. I guess you're running it through the clean channel? Given that the treble pot on the amp seriously affects the signal going through the channel, what kind of settings are you using with the amp and also the crunchbox for that nice classic rock crunch? :D

Yep - nearly always run it thru the amps clean channel on 18volts. Less compressed than 9v.
Amp setings are my usual clean settings -bass @ 10 oclock, Mids @ 12 oclcok, Treble @ 11-1 oclock
And I adjust the CBs tone dial for JCM900 or JCM800 tones.
JCM900 is with the tone dial between 8 oclock to 11 olcock
JCM800 is 12 oclock to 3 oclock.
Gain & volume to suit.

Ocasionally boost the CB by changing the amp to the Blues channel with gain no more than 12.
Enjoy :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back