Overdrive on mesa dirt channel?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidprint

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has tried this. I'm getting so sick of the stupid delay when switching from clean to dirty on my mesa single rec head that I considering forgetting the clean channel alltogether and using a BOSS SD-1 Super Overdrive pedal on the dirty channel instead. What I've been doing is setting the dirty channel to 'Vintage' and then putting the gain at about 10 o clock for a gritty dirt sound and then kicking in the SD-1 for leads and choruses etc.
Anyone else do this? Sounds really good but I fell a bit guilty as I'm not strictly using the full distortion power of the amp - I just can't use the channel switching as the delay makes it impossible to dynamically switch during songs.

rolling off volume isn't really an option for most of our songs as they're fairly fast paced. We don't have alot of clean bits anyway and for the ones we do have I can just pick more gently.
I know is should just do whatever it is to get my sound - just makes me feel a bit weird not using a mesa (which are regarded as gain monsters) in the way nature intended.
although to be honest - the sd-1 on the vintage channel with the gain set to 10 o clock sounds almost identical to the same channel without the pedal and the gain on 2 o clock which i how i normally set it for the usual clean/dirty setup.
I think I just have to get out of the 'two channel, no pedals' mindset and go with whatever works. :)

Latest posts

Back