Our demo song with Triaxis/2:90 and TC G-force

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nexus

Reaction score
Tell me what you think of my band (schizome)and my mesa sound.
This is our first demo song.

Recorded and mixed by schizome.
www.mikseri.net/schizome
This is finnish site, but you can download it from there. (Bitrate 320)

My space is www.myspace.com/schizome but bitrate is very low there (128)

Thanks.

Let me start talking about of what I didnt liked.

1- Lyrics are awful , just it

It is well recorded but snare is too loud and drums need some ambience,some reverb to create room for the others instruments.
Just a medium verb with 1.6 time and not too loud. Just to put drums a little beat behind the mix.
About the equalization maybe + 3 Db from 2KHz till 20 KHz will give it some air .

Anyway nice job very good mix except for the snare drum.

I would like to hear it with this modifications,could you do it ?

good job :p

it´s been hard work, and thanks for comments.

But i think i don´t do modifications anymore. It´s time to record other song.
And it´s just a demo, not for sale.
This is my first mix ever, very difficult.

How about playing and song it self?

For a demo it is well done.
Like I said I didnt like the lyrics, singer sings good but it is a kind of vocal stucked in a style.I dont know how to explain it in english but I like singers who can sing everything,your singer seems to be stucked to melodic metal I guess.
I like a more natural way of singing.
Example =
When I hear james labrie ,I dont feell his voice stucked with any style,he just open his mounth and sings.
All singers from melodic metal have the same way of singing.
If you solo the voice everybody will tell you that the singer sings in a melodic metal band.
I think I made myself clear.I hope so.
So the band is good at least in this song,vocals are in tune,guitars and drums well recorded.
Like I said good job for a demo :D

thanks for the comment!

about the singer, we were looking for heavy oldschool rock sound for this song. Not like labrie, it´s way too thin for my taste...if we talk about this song. But great singer too.

There is not so much space for singer :D and that´s why there is only oldschool singing. WE LIKE TO PLAY A LOT :D

Thumbs up

oldschool singing I dont get it

Since when melodic metal singing style is oldschool singing ?

I used labrie as an example.Take DIO or whatever they have personality,they dont seem like a thousand of others singers,they have their own way to sing.
If your singer sings poprock ,metal or reggae he will sing all styles the same way,sounding like a melodic metal singer.
But wait a minute if you like it so that s it
It is not my band ,who am I to judge your singer,if you like him period.
huhauhuahuahuhahuahuahua
luck

what mode are you using on the triaxis and settings? I liked the guitar tone.

rhythm mode is LD2 red. deep and modern on

gain 7 treble 6,5 mid 4,5 bass 3 drive 7,5 master 4 pres 7,5 DV 7,5

for fast riffs i use 7ms delay sometimes.

Acoustic part is recorded with ovation acoustic guitar + my e-guitar.

Leads are LD2 green, and every place has it own settings.
deep and modern on.
Main solo is: gain 8 treble 6 mid 5 bass 3 drive 7 master 4 pres 0 DV 6,5
Neck mic from guitar and split humbucker to single coil (esp horizon makes it possible).

just few settings to mention...

Recorded with shure sm57 and sennheiser md421

EQ: cut under 100hz all off
2x12 rect cab

Honestly, I like the vocals. But music isn't the most original i've heard. Too Dream Theaterish for my taste. There's already a million people doing that, you know. Why just another? On the bright side though, you still have more "rock" tinted version of it so i think you're on the right track in terms of making a difference. I'd even push the rock side more. Hell I'd even go more alternative and mix things up. MORE OF THAT JAZZY STUFF PLEASE. Beats boring progressive "done a million times" riffs if you ask me. Too many riffs sound like variations of dream theater songs.

Sorry if im too honest :(

Guitar tone is pretty good though. Well how can you not sound good with a triaxis anyway? 8)

hey, I think the demo is amazing.. the mix is really good for a demo. The solo really sounds like something that Petrucci play, maybe the solo from LINES IN THE SAND... not too crazy about the tone....

Hi everybody

I have to answer from the singers point of view. Yes, I am the notorious Schizome singer and thanks for the comments from that area.

I have to admit that the style I am singing the Dreamworld is nothing I have ever done before. :oops: So if somebody is saying my singing is all like that he dont know a **** :lol: Normally I sing an octave down from this, like for example Ville Valo(HIM), Ville Laihiala(Sentenced) and Peter Steele(TON). NEXUS whipped me to do something over my experience and I learned a lot from the things he pushes me to do(thanx man, I owe you). Lot of to learn, but cant be nothing else than I am. :twisted:

OFFTOPIC
One thing I can't understand; Why people are compearing demoband to the world widely known Dream Theater? Wake up people! :lol: :lol: If a band has played over 15 years together, spends months in studio doing everything over and over again to the record and spends other side of the year in tour in front of thousands of people... well hell yeah the singer is better and the band can play thousand times better than other bands(like ours).

Secondly, DT has done musically kind of "everything" what prog/fusion/jazz metal band can do. So of cource all the prog.metal bands sound a bit similar than them. Symphony X, Andromeda and Adagio have been claimed to be DT copycats, but still they are doing their own music.. proudly and have fans of their own. Should they quit too?

And speaking of singers... LaBrie a singer who can sing every kind of music easily???? Hahahaaa... just listen the Metallica and Iron Maiden covers he had done with DT. He sounds terrible, really!!! Just a reminder that just a small amount of vocalists can do everything(if anyone can, I doubt that).

Nevertheless he is the Dream Theaters vocalist and from my point of view... a right guy in right place . Not the best or even an average singer in my scale of singing(Dio&Dickinson&Coverdale&R. Allen are gods!) but suitable and does justice for the DT songs. I dont ever want to be like him or use my voice like he does but if some likes him... good for him!! We all have our own taste of what sounds best.

But I think this is not the aspect NEXUS wanted us to focus on 8) Treat us a demo band, for what we really are. Not like we were a signed and touring megastars :wink: I specially liked the comments about the drum sounds and examples how to make them better!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

MHeino said:
Hi everybody

I have to answer from the singers point of view. Yes, I am the notorious Schizome singer and thanks for the comments from that area.

I have to admit that the style I am singing the Dreamworld is nothing I have ever done before. :oops: So if somebody is saying my singing is all like that he dont know a sh!t :lol: Normally I sing an octave down from this, like for example Ville Valo(HIM), Ville Laihiala(Sentenced) and Peter Steele(TON). NEXUS whipped me to do something over my experience and I learned a lot from the things he pushes me to do(thanx man, I owe you). Lot of to learn, but cant be nothing else than I am. :twisted:

OFFTOPIC
One thing I can't understand; Why people are compearing demoband to the world widely known Dream Theater? Wake up people! :lol: :lol: If a band has played over 15 years together, spends months in studio doing everything over and over again to the record and spends other side of the year in tour in front of thousands of people... well hell yeah the singer is better and the band can play thousand times better than other bands(like ours).

Secondly, DT has done musically kind of "everything" what prog/fusion/jazz metal band can do. So of cource all the prog.metal bands sound a bit similar than them. Symphony X, Andromeda and Adagio have been claimed to be DT copycats, but still they are doing their own music.. proudly and have fans of their own. Should they quit too?

And speaking of singers... LaBrie a singer who can sing every kind of music easily???? Hahahaaa... just listen the Metallica and Iron Maiden covers he had done with DT. He sounds terrible, really!!! Just a reminder that just a small amount of vocalists can do everything(if anyone can, I doubt that).

Nevertheless he is the Dream Theaters vocalist and from my point of view... a right guy in right place . Not the best or even an average singer in my scale of singing(Dio&Dickinson&Coverdale&R. Allen are gods!) but suitable and does justice for the DT songs. I dont ever want to be like him or use my voice like he does but if some likes him... good for him!! We all have our own taste of what sounds best.

But I think this is not the aspect NEXUS wanted us to focus on 8) Treat us a demo band, for what we really are. Not like we were a signed and touring megastars :wink: I specially liked the comments about the drum sounds and examples how to make them better!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
just to clear my reply, im not comparing you to dt. im saying you sound too much like them and you shouldnt. :( your msg probably wasnt directed to me but just to clear things up i guess..

MHeino said:
Hi everybody

quote]

+1, Dream Theater has taken from the bands of Rush, Metallica, Yes, and all those other bands and made their own sound, and I think the guy before you saying it was boring because all he hears is the gallops but maybe if he were to listen more to DT he'd hear a bunch of sweet rhythms. Plus Dream Theater has alot of jazz elements in it and they're all VIRTUOSOs at their instruments , ( maybe not labrie -- iunno ) but yeah I think that's what really borders them from other bands

+1, Dream Theater has taken from the bands of Rush, Metallica, Yes, and all those other bands and made their own sound, and I think the guy before you saying it was boring because all he hears is the gallops but maybe if he were to listen more to DT he'd hear a bunch of sweet rhythms. Plus Dream Theater has alot of jazz elements in it and they're all VIRTUOSOs at their instruments , ( maybe not labrie -- iunno ) but yeah I think that's what really borders them from other bands
Trust me. I've done my share of listening to DT. You are way off when it comes to what i meant too. It was pretty clear. DT is a great band. They have great songs and style. But there's already one of that. No need to sound the same and come up with same riffs. It's done before.

Anyway. I'm tired of this lol. I can't change the world can I.

hey guys,
What i don´t understand?

Someone says that those riffs are same... what is your point?

I´m a big DT fan and i can tell you, there is NOT same riffs... MAYBE similar riffs. But if you do BASIC METAL... you may sound like METALLICA or slayer. If you do something like us...you may sound like DT,Tool, Rush..or something.

If someone is playing blues, do you say to him that he is just like SRV or Joe Bonamassa...those riffs are so OLD that everyone plays like them...
If there is bands who sound like DT, there is bands who sound like metallica or SRV!!! And that DT thing is more unique that metallica or many else...if you understand my point...
What is your point, if WE DON`T use same riffs...? If the sound is similar, I`M GALD TO HEAR THAT.
I thought that i can have comments from some pros from her, but **** IT...

SO, CAN YOU FOCUS YOUR MINDS TO SONG IT SELF AND STOP THIS ****!!! or buy a SKIRT

MORE WHISKEY!!!
AND I`M ROCKING...you like it or not

LnTh said:
just to clear my reply, im not comparing you to dt. im saying you sound too much like them and you shouldnt. :( your msg probably wasnt directed to me but just to clear things up i guess..

Naah, I am not directing my message to anyone. And believe me, if you think that we sound like DT, I take that as a compliment. Never in my dreams I could say from us that we sound like them, because they are the "big" ones and we are just punch of drunken alcoholics who try to be musicians. I say try, because we have a long road ahead us and lots of to learn.

Believe me, we are not trying to sound like them, we just do what we do and... well, this is the result. If its sounds like DT... well cant really complain for that. Hope that mr. Petrucci doesnt sue us in court by copying the their music :lol:

As for myself... I havent seriously listened DT since Scenes From A Memory, my opinions are based upon the live gigs and live dvd's &bootlegs. If I had to point out 2 killer records from them, they would be Awake and Images And Words, which I like a lot(even from the LaBries singing!)! :wink: And I know we do not sound like those records :lol:

I dont consider myself as a fan of them at all... maybe because its more instrumental kinda music than the music I am used to listen to. I like more straight forward kinda music like 80´s hard rock, 70's like Deep Purple, Rainbow, Whitesnake and all the old rock stuff like Beatles and Lynyrd Skynyrd. And of cource some heavier metal like Slayer, Metallica, COF&Dimmu Borgir, COB, TON, Sentenced etc.

From my behalf, I try to bring to the band something trational. Hope it has been succesfull from that point.

Take care everyone and have happy whatever!!! :lol:

Back