other than swapping tubes, what can i do to improve cleans

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsideexperiment

Reaction score
Just wondering what people are doing to add clarity, sparkle, and all around improvement on their dual rec cleans...its soo frustrating.

Any pedals or advice that doesnt' include upgrade to another amp?

You need to use the single coil pup positions to get a really great clean sound. Hot humbuckers will never sound that wonderful clean, unless you back off the volume.

DR cleans are totally usable - if that's ALL you're using. If you're in the studio, for instance.

If you're playing live, you'll never get the cleans to stay clean AND match the volume of the other channel(s). I reckon it's just the nature of the beast. I spent over a year trying everything I could imagine to have the volume match between channels and maintain sparkly cleans. There was just no way. Ended up building a clean amp and running a 2 amp rig.

On my Triple I run the master on my clean channel wide open, then I have the gain set between 9-11 oclock. I roll the volume off quite a bit on my guitar and get a pretty good clean sound for live that way. Ive also been able to balnce my channels that way. No it will not sound like a Fender Twin or Roland JC 120, but it sounds good enough for me. Recs are best in the Vintage and Modern modes, they arent a great clean amp, its just the nature of the beast.

if your only issue is clarity and sparkle (and not the dreaded trying to match volume with other channels), I find the BBE Sonic Stomp pedal greatly improves clean and acoustic sounds.

camsna said:
DR cleans are totally usable - if that's ALL you're using. If you're in the studio, for instance.

If you're playing live, you'll never get the cleans to stay clean AND match the volume of the other channel(s). I reckon it's just the nature of the beast. I spent over a year trying everything I could imagine to have the volume match between channels and maintain sparkly cleans. There was just no way. Ended up building a clean amp and running a 2 amp rig.

If you're talking about a 3 channel version, then yes. The 2 channels, no. I can get mine to match perfectly by cloning the orange channel to red, and setting it to clean.

I use a rackmount effects processor and use the EQ on it to brighten up the cleans.

Having a less compressed signal, the sparkling clean is very diffucult to adjust... If you add more gain (natural compression) or/and a compressor it will be easier to adjust.

I hate to say this but the dual rec and triple recs are a one trick pony for the most part. With the roadster and the roadking they are out of date. I had a triple for a while and always battled my cleans. I found that some delay or chorus helped.

with the emgs in my guitars i just switch to the neck pickup roll off sum volume and its done...

try gettin a good chorus or a delay and itll sparkle sum :D

nitrous2400 said:
with the emgs in my guitars i just switch to the neck pickup roll off sum volume and its done...

try gettin a good chorus or a delay and itll sparkle sum :D

+1 I use either an EMG-81/89/60 in the neck position of my guitars and i use a boss chorus pedal, and i can make it sound really great. I love the clean on it, it hangs with a Krank Rev1 and a Hughes and Kettner TriAmp in my band. I have the volume and gain around 12 o'clock and it stays relatively close to my 2 overdriven channels set to around 12 o'clock (masters) on vintage mode (modern mode....nope....clean is much quieter). If i ever need a volume boost i use the solo feature with it (i keep the chorus and delay in my fx loop, so it and the solo feature stay engaged) and it always stays clean, never breaks up unless i push the gain up and want it to.

-AJH

Latest posts

Back